Poll

8 votes (50%)
8 votes (50%)

16 members have voted

MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
February 13th, 2019 at 4:17:09 PM permalink
I understand the hole in one insurance and why it could be underwritten. I do not understand getting insurance for a physical challenge. My offer stands to anyone that would like the action. I am willing to put up 150k on the YES for me to spend 30 days locked in a climate controlled room with no light and supplied water and food, type of food is my choice, at random intervals. I would entertain more action after further review. Not sure why people think this would be difficult to accomplish.

I am thinking that I would be the only one able to get insurance on this wager. Such as having to be evacuated from the room due to a medical emergency. That is the main reason for not risking more than 150k until further review.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
Thanked by
ForagerRS
February 13th, 2019 at 4:34:18 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

I understand the hole in one insurance and why it could be underwritten. I do not understand getting insurance for a physical challenge. My offer stands to anyone that would like the action. I am willing to put up 150k on the YES for me to spend 30 days locked in a climate controlled room with no light and supplied water and food, type of food is my choice, at random intervals. I would entertain more action after further review. Not sure why people think this would be difficult to accomplish.

I am thinking that I would be the only one able to get insurance on this wager. Such as having to be evacuated from the room due to a medical emergency. That is the main reason for not risking more than 150k until further review.

you cheat tho you already live in a bunker
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
Thanked by
FinsRule
February 13th, 2019 at 5:47:10 PM permalink
I don't think it could be insured because it would be really easy to lose your side intentionally and split the insurance money.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
Thanked by
MaxPen
February 14th, 2019 at 2:39:22 PM permalink
If MaxPen gonna try this, I’m in for $5.

Edit: Until further review, that is.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
February 14th, 2019 at 3:04:13 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

I don't think it could be insured because it would be really easy to lose your side intentionally and split the insurance money.

Around here, you have to be careful of someone looking for an hidden angle to exploit.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
February 14th, 2019 at 3:08:15 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

Once the insurance company gets involved, they heavily monitor it and doing as you say would be insurance fraud. Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not committing fraud for 150K. Add three or four zeroes and I might have a conversation.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
February 14th, 2019 at 4:46:56 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Once the insurance company gets involved, they heavily monitor it and doing as you say would be insurance fraud. Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not committing fraud for 150K. Add three or four zeroes and I might have a conversation.

So no bet with MaxPen?
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
Thanked by
SOOPOOMaxPen
February 14th, 2019 at 5:51:06 PM permalink
This whole thread is kind of weird, glossing over millions of people born deaf or blind. They cope. They don't go crazy. They just reorient their lives. I think your brain actually changes your input to emphasize the information from your remaining senses.

So I would think a lot of the predicted madness is self-inflicted, and you'd just have to convince yourself that the day will come when your deprivation will end, perhaps with a healthy dose of gratitude that's true for you.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
aceofspades
aceofspades
February 14th, 2019 at 5:56:16 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

This whole thread is kind of weird, glossing over millions of people born deaf or blind. They cope. They don't go crazy. They just reorient their lives. I think your brain actually changes your input to emphasize the information from your remaining senses.

So I would think a lot of the predicted madness is self-inflicted, and you'd just have to convince yourself that the day will come when your deprivation will end, perhaps with a healthy dose of gratitude that's true for you.

Babs - I do not think anyone here is glossing over being born deaf or blind -- if you are born deaf or blind, you do not know what it is to hear or to see -- suddenly losing one's sight or hearing after having it one's entire life is a totally different animal in my opinion
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
February 14th, 2019 at 5:56:44 PM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

How about 24 hours here? How much?

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/earths-quietest-place-will-drive-you-crazy-in-45-minutes-180948160/

I would bet even odds up to $1 million that I could stay in that room for a day, if provided with food, water, blanket and pillow and room was at a comfortable temperature.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
Thanked by
MaxPen
February 14th, 2019 at 6:01:41 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

How about 24 hours here? How much?

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/earths-quietest-place-will-drive-you-crazy-in-45-minutes-180948160/

I would bet even odds up to $1 million that I could stay in that room for a day, if provided with food, water, blanket and pillow and room was at a comfortable temperature.

Geez, for a million I wouldn't need food, water, blanket or pillow. I wouldn't need a comfortable temperature, just a safe one. And for a million I would not even need a bathroom if I wasn't responsible for the cleaning bills.....
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
February 14th, 2019 at 6:01:53 PM permalink

I disagree completely. People born blind still have people to talk to. That is the hard part.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
February 14th, 2019 at 6:04:02 PM permalink

Babs - I do not think anyone here is glossing over being born deaf or blind -- if you are born deaf or blind, you do not know what it is to hear or to see -- suddenly losing one's sight or hearing after having it one's entire life is a totally different animal in my opinion

My thought was not just born that way, but becoming that way at some point. However, I didn't say it exactly that way.

So, we can agree to disagree on the depth and cause of any related trauma, if you like. I'd rather be deaf or blind than burned over 50% of my body, or having a limb chopped off, or any number of other things.

I also think it's a very steadying thing to know you can leave that sound-dead room, or that the bathroom will be only a 30 day trial, or whatever the terms of a bet. Self-inflicted trauma when it's completely in your control to change that parameter.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
aceofspades
aceofspades
February 14th, 2019 at 6:11:08 PM permalink

My thought was not just born that way, but becoming that way at some point. However, I didn't say it exactly that way.

So, we can agree to disagree on the depth and cause of any related trauma, if you like. I'd rather be deaf or blind than burned over 50% of my body, or having a limb chopped off, or any number of other things.

I also think it's a very steadying thing to know you can leave that sound-dead room, or that the bathroom will be only a 30 day trial, or whatever the terms of a bet. Self-inflicted trauma when it's completely in your control to change that parameter.

Think of the prison system where being put "in the hole" or "solitary" is a punishment -- there is no risk of being stabbed or raped in solitary (ok, maybe there is but I am discounting that for purposes of this post) -- solitary is not even dark and you still interact (minimally with the guards) and people still go nuts

rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
February 14th, 2019 at 6:14:33 PM permalink
If you want to drive someone mad, I suggest being in a room while hearing someone play Caveman Keno for a week or so.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
February 18th, 2019 at 5:57:13 AM permalink

Think of the prison system where being put "in the hole" or "solitary" is a punishment -- there is no risk of being stabbed or raped in solitary (ok, maybe there is but I am discounting that for purposes of this post) -- solitary is not even dark and you still interact (minimally with the guards) and people still go nuts

The difference is of course knowing you have huge windfall. Prisoners in solitary just have prison to
Look forward to. I’m still hoping for Max and Billy to make this bet!
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
February 18th, 2019 at 12:05:51 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

The difference is of course knowing you have huge windfall. Prisoners in solitary just have prison to
Look forward to. I’m still hoping for Max and Billy to make this bet!

You and me both.😀
Asswhoopermcdaddy
Asswhoopermcdaddy
  • Threads: 87
February 18th, 2019 at 1:15:23 PM permalink
Some people would welcome this kind of sensory deprivation. I think w/ a light and some books it'd be easier. Maybe some exercise equipment too. Without light it gets trickier. You're pretty much stumbling around. Can't really cook in the bathroom now. No entertainment. Maslow's hierarchy starts to sink in.

I bet you get some good sleep. But how do you fill the rest of your time? I think you should ask a twist to this bet. The person can only exit when they know they've completed the 30 days. No one or thing is allowed to tell them when that 30 days is up. And then you have to eliminate any form of self-tracking too. Without a sense of time, this get's hairy after a couple of days, weeks. etc.
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
February 18th, 2019 at 1:20:56 PM permalink
Quote: Asswhoopermcdaddy

Some people would welcome this kind of sensory deprivation. I think w/ a light and some books it'd be easier. Maybe some exercise equipment too.

Hey, Throw in Netflix, 24 hour access to a masseuse , and a jacuzzi , and I might lower my asking price to 90k to do this
usapon
usapon
  • Threads: 0
February 4th, 2022 at 1:42:13 PM permalink
Given that a good percentage of the global population now have some idea of solitary confinement (2020 - 2022) and another few percent in extreme solitary confinement (with light) be it China, India, Latin America, etc where some may have had their doors nailed shut. I would bet a small percentage of those would have no trouble with 30 days in total darkness especially if they were already blind. I'd be fine with unlimited podcasts, clubhouse, music, room to exercise, good food, etc. If this is extreme sensory deprivation then no human will survive unscathed after 1-2 weeks.
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
Thanked by
DeMango
February 4th, 2022 at 2:39:32 PM permalink
um.. welcome to the forum?
  • Jump to: