7 votes (50%)

14 members have voted

TinMan
TinMan
  • Threads: 12
Thanks for this post from:
onenickelmiracle
February 12th, 2019 at 7:43:26 PM permalink
I think people are overthinking food delivery. Wouldn't a slot/doggy door work? At random intervals, you slide a tray through the doggy door.

To me, the first thing I'd want to confirm is if 30 days of no light would do permanent damage to my eyes. I'd have to be completely positive about that to even think about this. I suspect it would, but assuming it wouldn't do permanent damage to my eyes, I'm pretty sure it would be mentally terrible to not be able to see anything. I've been in situations (in a cave) where I had my eye open and saw absolutely nothing. You assume it's like closing your eyes, but mentally there's something really disturbing about knowing your eyes are open but you're seeing nothing. "Dark" is VERY different from "no light at all." No light at all will mess with you quickly. To be fair, knowing that you're not actually in danger (i.e., no one is going to attack you in the dark) makes it easier, but it's still a pretty significant mental challenge.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 189
Minty
February 12th, 2019 at 8:56:39 PM permalink
Quote: TinMan

I think people are overthinking food delivery. Wouldn't a slot/doggy door work? At random intervals, you slide a tray through the doggy door.

To me, the first thing I'd want to confirm is if 30 days of no light would do permanent damage to my eyes. I'd have to be completely positive about that to even think about this. I suspect it would, but assuming it wouldn't do permanent damage to my eyes, I'm pretty sure it would be mentally terrible to not be able to see anything. I've been in situations (in a cave) where I had my eye open and saw absolutely nothing. You assume it's like closing your eyes, but mentally there's something really disturbing about knowing your eyes are open but you're seeing nothing. "Dark" is VERY different from "no light at all." No light at all will mess with you quickly. To be fair, knowing that you're not actually in danger (i.e., no one is going to attack you in the dark) makes it easier, but it's still a pretty significant mental challenge.

Welcome to the forum.
#FreeNATHAN #Paytheslaves
Minty
Minty
  • Threads: 5
February 13th, 2019 at 12:50:37 AM permalink
If only there was a way to read with no light. There's so much out there that it would make it almost easy for me, I'd think. I'd certainly hope the food wouldn't be too repetitive, because that would be problematic too. It sure would force you to be creative with all that time!
"Favorable bets are called 'investments.' Unfavorable bets constitute 'gambling.' -William Poundstone quoting John Kelly Jr. in Fortune's Formula
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 101
onenickelmiracle
February 13th, 2019 at 5:54:48 AM permalink
I think pretty much anyone could do it at the proper price point. If it was a billion I could and would do it. 30 miserable days is bad but just a small fraction of a life. I wouldn't consider it for $100,000. Each of us probably has a number.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 18
February 13th, 2019 at 8:14:48 AM permalink
I haven't read this whole thread.... so "no light" means absolute pitch blackness for 30 days? Or just whatever natural light comes in a window?

If I was allowed at least natural light, and some books and at least a radio, I think I could easily do 30 days for $100k.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 13th, 2019 at 8:32:52 AM permalink
Total darkness
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 67
February 13th, 2019 at 10:08:57 AM permalink
Quote: Minty

If only there was a way to read with no light.

There is, it is called braille.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 18
February 13th, 2019 at 10:16:24 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Total darkness

I wouldn't do it then, not for only $100k.

30 days of total darkness can really have an effect on your psyche and physical well-being.

I read about an experiment where a girl was blindfolded for a week to see what would happen. Even after that short amount of time her brain had already started "rewiring" itself to deal with being completely blind.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 13th, 2019 at 11:04:26 AM permalink
I think that any visual effects would be non permanent. But I would certainly do more research and consult with an ophthalmologist before agreeing.
Itís 720 hours. I think 3 million tax free is my number. Assuming no permanent eye damage.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 153
February 13th, 2019 at 11:15:53 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I think that any visual effects would be non permanent. But I would certainly do more research and consult with an ophthalmologist before agreeing.
Itís 720 hours. I think 3 million tax free is my number. Assuming no permanent eye damage.

So you would do this on a three million dollar bet? If you are serious, I'm pretty sure I get financing to cover the bet. I just need another nine people wanting to make $300,000.

• Jump to: