7 votes (50%)
7 votes (50%)

14 members have voted

miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
December 16th, 2018 at 8:11:20 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

When I was a kid I watched part of a movie that I thought was titled The Silence about, as I recall, somebody in a military school, probably college, and he didn't put down his pencil in time when time ran out on a written test. So, he was punished in that everybody else had to give him the silent treatment. I've always wanted to finish watching it, but I don't think I have the title correct. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

The Silence (1975)
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 103
December 16th, 2018 at 9:26:50 AM permalink
To me it is all about how much money is involved. No way I do it for 100k for 30 days. I'm not sure what my number is, but for 30 days probably closer to $2 million (assuming tax free). It would be a miserable experience for me, but knowing that the prize would be waiting would make it doable. I see no reason anyone would go crazy knowing the time limited nature of the challenge. It would be different if you were kidnapped and put in the light deprived state.
I didn't read it explicitly, but I assume the door opens or the light turns on after the 30 days are up, without the person needing to ask for such.

As far as not using a smartphone for a year, my number would be somewhat less than $100k. Probably do it for $25k. I survived without one for 40 years or so.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1262
December 16th, 2018 at 9:40:03 AM permalink
Quote: miplet

The Silence (1975)

Thanks!
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 193
December 17th, 2018 at 1:40:36 AM permalink
BTW, you absolutely could have the internet while being in the dark. Blind people can get on the internet, you would have to use whatever means they have, then get rid of the light the devices emit. Eventually something would probably fail and you would screw it up, because you don't have the learning curve straightened out I'd think. You would probably practice using the phone, computer, etc., but not enough to handle curve balls that happen after a lot of use.
#FreeNATHAN #Paytheslaves
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
December 17th, 2018 at 2:25:37 AM permalink
All I need to do this is a tennis or raquet ball, and if you want to throw in a radio I'll bump it to 45 days
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
December 17th, 2018 at 3:00:12 AM permalink
Quote: rainman

All I need to do this is a tennis or raquet ball, and if you want to throw in a radio I'll bump it to 45 days

Not making an offer, but you would put $100,000 on this? What if someone you loved a lot wound up on their death beds while you're in there? They won't tell you it's happening, because you're not allowed outside contact right. You get out and find out your mom died while you were in there. To me something like that that could happen would definitely make the risk too high. There are so many scenarios where your input could be very important, some other things could go wrong while in there only you know how to fix, and it could bite hard. It is something definitely not for me, maybe that's all this is.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 233
December 17th, 2018 at 9:37:14 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

BTW, you absolutely could have the internet while being in the dark. Blind people can get on the internet, you would have to use whatever means they have, then get rid of the light the devices emit. Eventually something would probably fail and you would screw it up, because you don't have the learning curve straightened out I'd think. You would probably practice using the phone, computer, etc., but not enough to handle curve balls that happen after a lot of use.

Mostly, it's software that "reads" aloud all the text on the page, including descriptions of pictures and graphics if they are included (which the Americans with Disabilities Act requires of many sites).

I think including internet, or even a tennis ball makes it way easier. Knowing that the challenge will only last 30 days, and the fact that there are not "captors" torturing you with ice water, loud music, and nutrition deprivation, is a big encouragement. It's just you and whatever critters live in the bathroom, in the pitch black. I just hope there isn't a faucet with a drip. That would make me nuts.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
December 17th, 2018 at 10:51:42 AM permalink
I think most people overestimate their ability to tolerate boredom. Several sources confirm that he had a paddle ball and a Rubik's cube. Assuming it was a textured cube design for the blind, that may have provided enough mental stimulation to get him through the 20 days.
Before you decide that you can handle it, I suggest you take a 17 hr flight to Singapore ( Coach). Nothing to read, no electronics, no music, no in-flight video. Then decide how much you need brain stimulation.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." - Isaac Newton
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
December 20th, 2018 at 3:16:45 AM permalink
I don't think I could sit in the bathroom for a single day. However they plan to have 30 days of food inside a bathroom is almost crazy. Obviously I think there are some limits on what food you could actually have. Do you have a refrigerator/freezer ? Sounds a little dangerous, having anything electric inside a bathroom when it must be dark for so long. Would night vision goggles be allowed, maybe it would not be so bad if so. You can't cook your food in a bathroom, etc. Anyone that wants to eat nuts and chips for 30 days, you're crazy.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
Thanks for this post from:
AyecarumbaRigondeauxbeachbumbabsTomG
January 10th, 2019 at 8:39:29 AM permalink
Good writeup today on the bet in The Guardian

There was a loudspeaker wired in to the room so the guy on the outside could communicate with the guy in the bathroom. This is how they negotiated the buyout.

I still want to know how they handled food delivery without any social interaction. Obviously it could be done any number of ways (some have been proposed here).
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer

• Jump to: