HorseJeff
HorseJeff
  • Threads: 12
November 1st, 2012 at 3:57:16 AM permalink
Thank you for the great site and the awesome JB 9/6 trainer @ wizardofodds.com

My question has to do with simple strategy. #10 on the best play list is "4 to an outside straight." That makes perfectly good sense to me, as it gives one eight cards to a 4 coin payout. But I don't see any provisions for playing 4 to an inside straight.

Is there something I'm missing or should one never draw to an insight straight in JB? Thanks again for the great site!
The only thing more pathetic than watching a gambler who's afraid to lose is watching a gambler who is afraid to win. And I've seen plenty of both.
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
November 1st, 2012 at 3:59:35 AM permalink
Im guessing its because with only 4 cards to hit for your straight there is more expected value in following other avenues. One of the maths guys can probably explain this with full on percentages.
[This space is intentionally left blank]
HorseJeff
HorseJeff
November 1st, 2012 at 6:13:13 AM permalink
My thoughts exactly Croup.
The only thing more pathetic than watching a gambler who's afraid to lose is watching a gambler who is afraid to win. And I've seen plenty of both.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
November 1st, 2012 at 6:22:03 AM permalink
The rules for inside straight draws are part of what makes the difference between the simple and intemediate/advanced strategies. They're a pain to remember, and they don't gain you much.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
HorseJeff
HorseJeff
November 1st, 2012 at 6:50:56 AM permalink
And as a follow up to my original question, I am assuming that even if inside straight draws are regulary discouraged, that "3 to a straight flush" WOULD in fact include missing connectors i.e. if the board is showing A, 3, 5 suited then I will hold those three due to: a) the possibility of hitting a normal flush and; b) the 50-1 payout of the straight flush Is there a flaw in my reasoning here?
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
November 1st, 2012 at 6:55:34 AM permalink
Quote: HorseJeff

And as a follow up to my original question, I am assuming that even if inside straight draws are regulary discouraged, that "3 to a straight flush" WOULD in fact include missing connectors i.e. if the board is showing A, 3, 5 suited then I will hold those three due to: a) the possibility of hitting a normal flush and; b) the 50-1 payout of the straight flush Is there a flaw in my reasoning here?

That's right. You could also pair the ace.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
HorseJeff
HorseJeff
November 1st, 2012 at 6:58:08 AM permalink
HA! Didn't think of that POTUS ;)
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
November 1st, 2012 at 10:41:55 AM permalink
Drawing to an inside straight in 9/6 JOB isn't actually a horrible play; I think you'll give up about $0.08 per five dollars bet. But it happens a lot. The reason you don't do it is because of the increased payout for the two pair; (fairly) easy to get on the redeal, and you get two units for it.

On games where two pair pays one unit (DDB, DB, Bonus Poker Deluxe), you DO draw to the inside straight over holding nothing.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
HorseJeff
HorseJeff
November 1st, 2012 at 10:45:22 AM permalink
Thanks for your input teddys!
Ardent1
Ardent1
  • Threads: 5
December 24th, 2012 at 3:20:18 AM permalink
Quote: HorseJeff

My question has to do with simple strategy. #10 on the best play list is "4 to an outside straight." That makes perfectly good sense to me, as it gives one eight cards to a 4 coin payout. But I don't see any provisions for playing 4 to an inside straight.

Is there something I'm missing or should one never draw to an insight straight in JB? Thanks again for the great site!

There are only two situations in 9/6 JOBs to keep 4 to an inside straight -- you must have 4 high-cards (Ace to Jack) or 3-high cards (AHHT or KQJ9). AHHT means H is an honor card that is Jack or higher, i.e. AKQT, AKJT, or AQJT

In the first case of AKQJ, you have 4 tens to help you, 3 Aces, 3 Kings, 3 Queens, and 3 Jacks for a total of 16 winning combinations out of 47 remaining cards.
  • Jump to: