ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
February 17th, 2010 at 10:15:46 PM permalink
Background: I'm trying to plan a trip to Vegas and it seems that I might not be able to stay around there during any fun basketball games (NCAA). If I stay from the 3rd-5th I will probably be able to catch the end of the regular season and have some fun. The follow weekend is when all of the conference tournaments begin (I know like the Pac-10 starts on the 10th and the ACC starts on the 11th).

Question: If I stay from from the 7th to the 9th (leaving moderate afternoon 9th, preferably make the bet on the 8th) will the lines have already been drawn and can I bet for games that will go on during the 10th and 11th? Furthermore, it seems like the Wizard has had a good experience at the Hilton... anyone else willing to chime in?
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
February 18th, 2010 at 2:24:20 AM permalink
I don't bet March Madness, but I think they put up the lines for the first round soon after they know who is playing. The Hilton or M would likely be the first to post lines. The Hilton should have a good variety of prop bets. If you just want to bet games straight up, anywhere should be fine. As always, someone correct me if I'm wrong, and on this one I could easily be.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
jwptceo
jwptceo
  • Threads: 2
February 18th, 2010 at 5:33:38 AM permalink
Selection Sunday, the day they pick the teams, is Sunday March 14th. There would be no way to post lines before that. Guess you will have to bet on the conference tourneys.
Bigsooner
Bigsooner
  • Threads: 4
February 18th, 2010 at 6:42:47 AM permalink
while you wont be able to bet on the games in the NCAA tourny you can bet on Teams to "win the tourny" before the bracket is set.

You could bet on that today
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
February 18th, 2010 at 8:08:10 AM permalink
Out of curiosity, does some property get the "privlege" of posting the opening lines first? I heard the Stardust had that honor for years by either lottery, tradition, or they just opened the first book.

Also, anyone know what the reason was? I heard the 'Dust opened first from a few sources.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
February 18th, 2010 at 12:32:30 PM permalink
Thank you for all of the detailed responses, I'm a pretty avid basketball fan so I understand the lines aren't drawn until the end of the conference tournies. I mean why setup the big dance when all of the crappy teams with automatic bids aren't in it yet? It seems like I will get the opportunity to put money down on the first round of the conference and some money on Duke to win the thing.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
jwptceo
jwptceo
  • Threads: 2
February 18th, 2010 at 1:15:25 PM permalink
Quote: ahiromu

It seems like I will get the opportunity to put money down on the first round of the conference and some money on Duke to win the thing.

Well if this is your plan I hope for your case that they don't accept your bet. You'll be a few dollars richer if you don't get to put too much money on the Blue Devils.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
February 18th, 2010 at 2:25:10 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Out of curiosity, does some property get the "privlege" of posting the opening lines first? I heard the Stardust had that honor for years by either lottery, tradition, or they just opened the first book.

Also, anyone know what the reason was? I heard the 'Dust opened first from a few sources.

I think the Stardust opened the lines out of tradition, and that nobody else wanted to be the guinea pig anyway. Today I don't think anyone is known for always first, at least as far as I know. As I said before, the Hilton and M are likely to throw their hat in the ring first, but I think even they wait to see what the offshore places do first.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
February 19th, 2010 at 5:33:25 PM permalink
Are books allowed to cover their own action by laying bets at other establishements? If so, this would really put a lot of pressure on the first joint to put up a board.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
  • Jump to: