bigfoot66
bigfoot66
  • Threads: 54
April 19th, 2012 at 4:24:42 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

It's not, but I don't think that's what he's arguing. I think he's arguing that laws themselves (all of them) are immoral because they are promulgated by a government which is itself immoral.

Anarchy (having no government; having no leader) in any form is doomed to fail. Humans are a social species and we naturally organize ourselves. Stripping away the current governmental organization would simply give rise to another social hierarchy of one form or another, whether one wants to call it a "government" or not. I am not a proper historian, but to my knowledge there has never been a stable, sustainable broad-based anarchy in any human society. (I use "broad-based" to denote a real-world system which addresses the majority of human needs/wants as opposed to a narrow anarchy which may be on display in, for example, unmoderated Internet forums.)

I am very busy at the moment but wanted to quickly reply to just this point. There are a lot of good objections to my philosophy being brought up here and I look forward to addressing them.

My argument is simple: It is wrong to initiate force or fraud on another person or his property. If you feel government is necessary i encourage you to erect and or support one, but keep your mittens to yourself and dont force me to participate.I am for rules, organization, heirarchy, etc. These are wonderful things, again, it is the initiation of violence that I oppose, for example, wear your seatbelt or you will have to pay $400 under threat of jail. Fill out this 1040 and write me a check or else we will cage you. If you try to defend yourself even a little we will kill you.

If you believe that I owe the money to government please show me where I agreed to this arrangement. I have been avoiding this next claim but here goes. I am told that I owe Mr. Obama, say, 17% of my earnings because I am a 'citizen'. No matter where I live in the world Mr Obama claims that the money I earn is subject to his income tax. I never made a decision to be a citizen, but I was born in California and this means the government considers me one of its citizens. In fact the government claims that all the babies born in certain geographical locations are citizens and subject to taxation. Because of where I was born, I for the rest of my life owe a debt to the government. And they get to decide how much I owe them. And they can change the amount whenever they please. If this is not outright theft, then the government owns me. I am a sort of free range slave. The master sends me out to be productive and then he gets to decide how much of my production he keeps and how much he lets me keep. In a very real sense, we are all slaves.

I know this sounds like a radical claim but it is philosophically sound. It is not intuitive and, for me, did not 'ring true' immediately for me. I challenge you to consider it.

“I freed a thousand slaves. I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves.” Harriet Tubman
Vote for Nobody 2020!
  • Jump to: