No votes (0%)
3 votes (75%)
1 vote (25%)

4 members have voted

pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
March 29th, 2012 at 1:18:24 PM permalink
The first district in Illinois (downtown Chicago) is the premier district in African American politics in this nation. The representative elected in 1928 was the first black representative since reconstruction. It was so long ago he was a Republican. Since then a total of 7 black male representatives have been elected. This district was on its third black representative when black representatives were elected in Harlem, Detroit, Philadelphia, and Los Angeles.

Barack Obama's home is in Illinois 1st district. His first foray into federal politics was to try and capture the Democratic nomination for this district in 2000, and he was badly beaten by the incumbent.

Rush was quoted as saying: Barack Obama went to Harvard and became an educated fool. Barack is a person who read about the civil-rights protests and thinks he knows all about it. Bobby Rush who is 15 years older than Obama, so Obama was clearly young when some of the pivotal civil rights battles were fought.

Trayvon Martin's death is a tragedy. I would think that most of the Representatives in this country think that racial-profiling is a problem. I just don't think that pulling a stunt is the most responsible way to deal with an ongoing investigation.

Illinois 1st District
Bobby Rush 1993–present, 1946–
Charles Hayes 1983–1993, 1918–1997
Harold Washington 1981–1983, 1922–1987
Bennett M. Stewart 1979–1981, 1912–1988
Ralph Metcalfe 1971–1978, 1910–1978
William L. Dawson 1943–1970 ,1886–1970
Arthur W. Mitchell 1935–1943 ,1883–1968
Oscar Stanton De Priest 1929–1935, 1871–1951
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
March 29th, 2012 at 1:27:55 PM permalink
Can't say that I like what Representative Rush did, but he followed the rules and called attention to an important issue. I'm confused, though...he was removed for wearing a "hat." Do the House rules really consider all head coverings to be hats? The hood is attached to the shirt...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
March 29th, 2012 at 2:01:45 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Can't say that I like what Representative Rush did, but he followed the rules and called attention to an important issue. I'm confused, though...he was removed for wearing a "hat." Do the House rules really consider all head coverings to be hats? The hood is attached to the shirt...

I didn't hear anybody shouting "take your hat off". I suspect that the reason was dreamed up later.

During the session of the House, a Member, Delegate, or Resident Commissioner may not wear a hat or remain by the Clerk's desk during the call of the roll or the counting of ballots. A person on the floor of the House may not smoke or use a mobile electronic device that impairs decorum.
The Sergeant-at-Arms is charged with the strict enforcement of this clause.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
March 29th, 2012 at 2:05:11 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I didn't hear anybody shouting "take your hat off". I suspect that the reason was dreamed up later.

"As soon as Rush removed his jacket and put the hood on his head, Rep. Greg Harper, R-Mississippi, who was presiding over the House floor, began to gavel Rush down, saying he was out of order.

Rush ignored him, and with the hoodie still pulled over his head, continued to speak, citing the Bible.

Harper continued to bang the gavel. "The gentleman will suspend. The member is no longer recognized," he said. "The chair must remind members that clause 5 of rule 17 prohibits the wearing of hats in the chamber when the House is in session.""

source
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
March 29th, 2012 at 2:11:55 PM permalink
I've always found it amusing that people declare the hoody as some sort of violent, gangster, hooligan wear. I've been wearing hooded sweaters since I was about 14. Long live the hoody.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
  • Jump to: