1 vote (14.28%)
3 votes (42.85%)
No votes (0%)

7 members have voted

pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
December 10th, 2011 at 12:12:40 PM permalink
Vote on the archaic English word that you think is most needed to make a comeback and augment modern English,

Jargogle = Verb transitive – “To confuse, jumble”
Deliciate = Verb intransitive – “To take one’s pleasure, enjoy oneself, revel, luxuriate”
Corrade = Verb transitive – “To scrape together; to gather together from various sources”
Kench = Verb intransitive – “To laugh loudly”
Ludibrious = Adjective – “Apt to be a subject of jest or mockery”
Sanguinolency = Noun – “Addiction to bloodshed”
Jollux = Noun - Slang phrase used in the late 18th century to describe a “fat person”
Malagrugrous = Adjective – “Dismal”
Brabble = Verb transitive – “To quarrel about trifles; esp. to quarrel noisily, brawl, squabble”
Freck = Verb intransitive – “To move swiftly or nimbly”

A transitive verb has a direct object. So you must jargogle something. It is not a state of being.

You should try to use your words in a sentence.

The latest Saw movie is a malagrugrous mastperiece of sanguinolency. The hero, a complete jollux, brabbles about getting laid, kenching in the most obnoxious way. Finally, the dungeonmast jargogles him with a chainsaw in a perfectly deliciate scene.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
December 10th, 2011 at 12:26:28 PM permalink
I voted for brabble. In its stead, I think some of us would use the word "bitch," as a verb. Others might say "argumentative," but that isn't exactly the same thing. It seems like the word "bitch" has gone out of style, and we need something to fill the void.

Example: Do you need to brabble at me for two hours over leaving the toilet seat up?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
December 10th, 2011 at 12:39:12 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I voted for brabble. In its stead, I think some of us would use the word "bitch," as a verb. Others might say "argumentative," but that isn't exactly the same thing. It seems like the word "bitch" has gone out of style, and we need something to fill the void.

Example: Do you need to brabble at me for two hours over leaving the toilet seat up?

When you're at an impasse at brabbling, you can ask for a barlafumble.
A falling knife has no handle.
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
December 10th, 2011 at 2:33:54 PM permalink
I voted for brabble I like the sound of the word and can't help thinking of 'The Life of Brian' or alternately the occupy movement.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
December 10th, 2011 at 2:53:50 PM permalink
Deliciate, ludibrious and malagrugrous. Did anyone think of mkl reading these? Not for their meaning, but it just seemed like an overly complicated word he'd be all over ;)

(/receives 30 lashings for naming he who shall not be named)

Anyways, I like "brabble", since Wiz pointed out I can tell my wife to stop bitching in a way that I won't get in trouble or be disrespectful.

"Freck" won't work for me, since I started using "frack" in place of "f#$@" to imply something was broke (NHL's division restructure is fracked) Perhaps this is a result of all the "hydrofracking" (water breaking?) news in my parts as of late.

Sanguinolency is too obvious, as is corrade (corral).

Kench sounds British. "I was kenching propper, just chuffed to bits"

Jollox sounds like trollop, and I like the word trollop. So jollux gets my vote.
"Tight end?! Tell that jollux he doesn't have a choice. He's playing guard"

Edit: Someone in a thread way back brought back "kerfuffle". It's now part of my vernacular, so thanks, and it should've been added to the list ;)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
December 10th, 2011 at 6:34:34 PM permalink
I was going to vote for 'corrade' until I saw it was from Latin. I say ixnay on bringing back any derived from Latin, once they have fallen off.

So I went then with Kench, which I didn't look up; I figure it's not Latin though. It would be funny if is Yiddish!
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
December 10th, 2011 at 7:09:45 PM permalink
"Freck" is actually a word that I've used regularly. It's what a puppy does when it gets all excited, running around and frecking.
A falling knife has no handle.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
December 11th, 2011 at 5:00:17 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

"Freck" is actually a word that I've used regularly. It's what a puppy does when it gets all excited, running around and frecking.

How old are you? According to my sources, the word went out of regular usage more than 500 years ago. But, it has several definitions in the "urban dictionary" often used as a polite synonym.

The better known noun, freak is of unknown origins, but may be related to "freck"

The word "freak" first appears in writing when Shakespeare was a toddler, and meant a "sudden turn of mind".

The origin of words is often a guess, even to Oxford English Dictionary. There was an Old English word frician "to dance", but it was not used for hundreds of year (but may have survived in dialect). But the source for both "freak" and "freck" may be Middle English frek "bold, quickly," from Old English frec "greedy, gluttonous" (related to German frech "bold, impudent").

The more common definition of a freak as "strange or abnormal individual" only goes back to the 19th century.
  • Jump to: