FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
October 16th, 2011 at 4:47:26 AM permalink
lentils qualify as inedible tasteless mush.
ALL tissues, even the eyelid, are sensitve. (Yes, as many a young lady has found out when she let her boyfriend chop the chilli).
Spices? I got salt and I got pepper.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 16th, 2011 at 5:23:37 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

The popular thing for chili in the US is to use stew meat [any kind of chunks] instead of ground beef. If you watch a program on a chili contest this is very evident. At home we are sold on this to the point that ground beef in chili is a disappointment.

Really? Well, the last time I had chili in the US was at Wendy's, and the meat was ground. Of course you'd expect that in a burger joint...

Anyway, my dad used to make chili once in a while. I don't have his recipe, alas, but I knew three things: 1) he used ground beef, 2) he used turmeric, 3) he didn't use onions or make it hot, because otherwise my mother wouldn't eat it.

So I'll always make chili hot, with turmeric and using ground beef or some other ground meat. :)

Besides, the soy comes in tiny pieces that look like loose ground meat. It won't mix well with little cubes of beef.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
October 16th, 2011 at 1:29:45 PM permalink

I consume enormous quantities of Lentil soup.

The popular thing for chili in the US is to use stew meat [any kind of chunks] instead of ground beef. If you watch a program on a chili contest this is very evident. At home we are sold on this to the point that ground beef in chili is a disappointment.

I make it the way you do, og.

Classic bowl of red:

3 pounds lean beef
1/8 pound rendered beef kidney suet (if you want to go for it)
1 teaspoon each oregano, cumin powder, salt, cayenne pepper, and Tabasco
3 tablespoons chile powder (optional)
4 hot chile peppers
At least two chopped cloves of garlic
2 teaspoons masa harina, cornmeal, or flour (optional)*

LOL, Nareed, if you're trying to cut back on red meat and animal fats this might not be the way you want to go! When I make chili, I riff off of this basic design.

That being said, I've had so many different types of chili, and made it so many different ways, that I truly believe the only ingredient that truly defines chili is chile pepper. Back in the pre-internet days, I collected chili recipes, starting in the mid '70s. I've made it with just about any meat other than varmint (ie, woodchuck, crow, possum, bear, etc), including anything you could get in a grocery, plus bison, deer, goat, and elk. I've made a few different meatless recipes, including those with the main texture being chickpeas, beans, lentil, tofu, and seitan. I've made Texas style, New Mexico style, California style, East Coast style, Cincinnati style, and probably some others that I can't remember now.

Chili is what you make it to be. The only thing that matters is if your guests ask for more.
A falling knife has no handle.
Mosca
Mosca
October 16th, 2011 at 1:32:33 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Really? Well, the last time I had chili in the US was at Wendy's, and the meat was ground. Of course you'd expect that in a burger joint...

Wendy's chili is a masterpiece of restaurant economy. They use left over burgers. It's OK chili, too. I know someone who bought a couple gallons and served it at a pot luck dinner party without comment; it passed.
Nareed
Nareed
October 16th, 2011 at 1:42:06 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

LOL, Nareed, if you're trying to cut back on red meat and animal fats this might not be the way you want to go!

But it is. Of course the way to go is to eat less red meat. I've done that. When I do eat red meat, I cut it in half by adding soy to it.

Quote:

Chili is what you make it to be. The only thing that matters is if your guests ask for more.

I've yet to cook for anyone other than myself. I think my tastes are too different from most people's. Once I made coffee gelatin for the office. One person liked it, but she's a bigger coffee addict than me. The rest said it was good, but they'd prefer conventional flavors <sigh>
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
October 17th, 2011 at 1:29:20 PM permalink

Classic bowl of red:

I see you use no tomatoes. I have also found you can use none; usually I include a can of whole tomatoes, and like to time it so that they cook down but do not completely disintegrate. I use chili powder and find you really just can't add too much of that.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
progrocker
progrocker
  • Threads: 4
October 17th, 2011 at 2:28:53 PM permalink
Pad Gra Pow Muu (Ground pork with holy basil)

A couple of notes:
-Those are habanero/scotch bonnet peppers
-Fish sauce is added when the basil is added, this should be in your grocer's Asian food section and is used a lot in Thai cuisine
-Holy basil (which is more minty than normal) is not easily found, I substituted normal basil and mint
-I didn't end up using the bell pepper but you can add that (sliced into strips) for texture if you like
-Served over jasmine rice with a fried egg on top

This is a super easy recipe to get your feet wet in cooking Thai cuisine.
Solo venimos, solo nos vamos. Y aqui nos juntamos, juntos que estamos.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 17th, 2011 at 3:00:34 PM permalink
Quote: progrocker

Fish sauce is added when the basil is added

Dude, fish sauce in nasty stuff. They make it by salting down
fish in a big crockery barrel and putting the lid on and letting
it sit in the sun for 9 months while the fish rot away in the brine
and turn into a liquid. Thats the sauce. Thats the 'good' sauce.
The faster way is on a big scale where they use chemicals
and additives to speed up the rotting process. Yuck.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
progrocker
progrocker
October 17th, 2011 at 3:05:16 PM permalink
Yup, that's exactly what fish sauce is. There is a good segment that shows them 'making' it in Vietnam on an episode of Bizarre Foods on the Wizard's own Travel Channel.

I have no problem with that. If you've ever eaten Thai food you've eaten fish sauce.

Found the vid here.
Nareed
Nareed
October 17th, 2011 at 3:26:36 PM permalink

I have no problem with that. If you've ever eaten Thai food you've eaten fish sauce.

I've never eaten Thai food, actually. There aren't many Thai places in Mexico. So I do appreciate the warning. Thanks.

Oh, not because fish sauce is made of fermented (not rotted) fish, but because it's made of fish at all. Chesse is fermented milk, wine is fermented grape juice, all spirits are fermented grains or plants of various kinds. It's a common state of affairs.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 17th, 2011 at 3:32:03 PM permalink

Found the vid here.

Now thats disgusting, I can't eat it. I can't eat
head cheese either, which is disgusting also.
progrocker
progrocker
October 17th, 2011 at 3:50:42 PM permalink
What's disgusting is chemical preservatives. Fermentation is the old school way to do it.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
October 17th, 2011 at 4:32:26 PM permalink

Pad Gra Pow Muu (Ground pork with holy basil)

A couple of notes:
-Those are habanero/scotch bonnet peppers
-Fish sauce is added when the basil is added, this should be in your grocer's Asian food section and is used a lot in Thai cuisine
-Holy basil (which is more minty than normal) is not easily found, I substituted normal basil and mint
-I didn't end up using the bell pepper but you can add that (sliced into strips) for texture if you like
-Served over jasmine rice with a fried egg on top

This is a super easy recipe to get your feet wet in cooking Thai cuisine.

Very good, sir!
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Nareed
Nareed
October 23rd, 2011 at 4:48:29 PM permalink
As I froze some chili from last week, I decided to make rice to go with it. So here's another deceptively simple dish to make. First I decided to boil it with chicken broth rather than water so it would pick up a better flavor. In that regard it came out fine. But the consistency was all wrong. I used the proportions indicated in the package and followed the directions exactly. As it turns out, I used too much broth. Next time I'll try about a half liter less, or will use just enough to cover the rice. We'll see.

The good new is that mixing the rice with the very hot chili made the whole dish easier to take.

For a side dish I used what veggies I found in the fridge, plus some leftover pasta. So I took chopped red cabbage, onions, garlic and green bell pepper. Saute the whole lot, onions and garlic first, then the rest, with a teaspoon of olive oil. When they were about done, I added the pasta and some more oil. It came out ok, but perhaps a bit too oily. Next time less oil.

Live and learn, right?
Mosca
Mosca
October 23rd, 2011 at 8:02:24 PM permalink
Fish sauce is ancient and revered, one of the oldest condiments, a staple of the Roman diet known as garum or liquamen. The Romans often mixed it with wine, black pepper, vinegar, oils, etc. The closest western descendant of garum is Worcestershire sauce.
Nareed
Nareed
October 23rd, 2011 at 8:05:25 PM permalink

The closest western descendant of garum is Worcestershire sauce.

Not any more. Most brands today are made without anchovies.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
October 24th, 2011 at 7:40:59 AM permalink
Lea and Perrins, which for me is the only thing that is worcestershire sauce, is still made with anchovies. I be there's plenty of folks who didn't know it's not vegetarian.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
October 24th, 2011 at 7:48:42 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Lea and Perrins, which for me is the only thing that is worcestershire sauce, is still made with anchovies. I be there's plenty of folks who didn't know it's not vegetarian.

I know. I use a brand called French's, which may be local or not. It's ironic, becasue the name for the sauce in Mexico is "Salsa Inglesa," or "English Sauce." Having an English Sauce named French's, well... It's not as bad as a restaurant that in the early 80s had a dish called "Filete Argentino," which was beef filet au-gratin topped with lots of "English Sauce," rigth when the English and Argentines were fighting a war over the Falklands.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
October 24th, 2011 at 11:11:03 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Best and easiest baked chicken. Get a big package of
chicken thighs. Remove the skin. Into a baggie put
a cup of cracker meal and quarter cup of parmesan
cheese, the kind Kraft makes, in the green container.
Mix it up and shake each piece of chicken in the bag.
arrange on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for about
50 minutes. Real simple and real delicious. Don't
share it, you'll want it all, believe me. Be sure to scrape
the drippings off the cookie sheet and eat it while its warn,
the flavor is super intense.

Tried it last week. It was good.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Nareed
Nareed
October 29th, 2011 at 2:16:35 PM permalink
Today I made "vegetarian" chili. I prefer to call it chili sin carne :)

Anyway:

about 500 grs of prepared textured soy protein
One large onion chopped or in rings (I do half and half)
4 mushrooms chopped or sliced
1 green bell pepper chopped
3 cloves of garlic chopped
1 cup of soybean sprouts
3 packets of pureed tomatoes (see my first chili recipe for details somewhere up the thread) 210 grs each
1 container fried tomatoes (see my first chili recipe for details somewhere up the thread) 350 grs.
1 small habanero pepper (actually I had to use manzano, but it's close enough to habanero)
2 tablespoons chopped chipotles en adobo
Worcestershire sauce to taste
1 can baked whole beans 425 grs. (I should have used two)
1 teaspoon powdered cumin
1 teaspoon dry parsley leaves
Half a teaspoon fine herbs (that's what the label on the jar says; I've no idea what they are)
1 teaspoon powdered turmeric
2 tablespoons dried oregano leaves
3/4 tablespoon powdered chicken bullion mix
1 tablespoon olive oil
Ground black pepper to taste

Prepare the soy protein. it's simple. Just let it soak in plain water for 5-10 minutes, then drain. After you drain it, you need to squeeze the excess water out. That's it.

Put the olive oil in a pot and let it heat, add the onions, garlic, green pepper, and habanero, and mix thoroughly. When the onions begin to turn translucent, add the soybean sprouts, mushrooms and textured soy. Next add the pureed tomato and the fried tomato. Again mix.

At this point add the spices, chicken bullion mix and Worcestershire sauce and mix again. Add the beans and pasta and mix some more.

Reduce the heat and let it simmer a few minutes. You don't want it to dry, but let it thicken a bit

Very simple, very tasty. I left out the pasta this time.

BTW, if you ever want to play a practical joke on someone, send him to find fresh, natural chipotles. This would work anywhere in Mexico, or in places with a large Hispanic community with a few specialty markets. In Mexico there's a large variety of peppers, sold either fresh, dried or pickled. Not all are dried or pickled, but all are found fresh, except chipotles. Fresh chipotles do not exist. What's more, there's no such thing as a chipotle plant that bears chipotle peppers.

So where do they come from? They're actually smoked, dried jalapeños. You can get them dried, or canned/bottled in adobo (I'm noot sure what adobo is).
teddys
teddys
November 5th, 2011 at 5:00:48 PM permalink
Posts on this board had me thinking Mexican, and avocados are in season (and cheap), so I decided to make guacamole.

The only problem is I wasn't sure what to put in it. I had all the ingredients on hand: 2 ripe avocados, tomatoes, garlic, onion (yellow), sea salt, fresh lemon, lime juice (from concentrate, ugh), and cilantro, which I later discovered was spoiled.

So I decided to go simple and traditional (?) Mexican: Avocado, four cloves garlic, sea salt, juice of 1/2 lemon, couple squirts of lime, and a few red pepper flakes for heat. It was EXCELLENT. I don't really have guacamole that often without the pico de gallo and such, but here you could really taste the flavor of the avocado. It really made me feel like I was in Cancun or Hawaii, and I've never been to either of those places!

I'd be interested to hear how other people make guacamole. I don't think I can eat the prepared stuff anymore.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
November 6th, 2011 at 3:41:16 AM permalink
Never made my own, but love good guacomole.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Nareed
Nareed
November 22nd, 2011 at 12:37:40 PM permalink
I tried two pasta recipes. One of my own, one from Nestle with my own modifications.

Stir fried pasta and veggies:

200 grams cooked pasta (elbow macaroni in this case)
1/2 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
75 grams soybean sprouts
1/2 green bell pepper chopped
1/4 head red cabbage chopped
1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons powdered curry
1/2 teaspoon dried basil laves
ground black pepper to taste
Teriyaki sauce
White rice vinegar

Heat the oil and stir fry the onion and garlic. When the onion begins to turn transluscent, add the bell pepper, cabbage and soybean sprouts. Keep stir frying for a while, then add the pasta (drain it first). Stir it a little, add the spices while yuo keep stirring, then add the Teriyaki sauce and white rice vinegar. How much? beats me <g> I poured them straight off their bottles to the pan. No more than a dash or three of Teriyaki, and about the same of vinegar. It turned out quite good. The pasta will look yellow becasue of the curry powder, that's normal.

Not so light pasta with sauce

200 grams cooked pasta (again elbow mac, but I'll be trying fusili next time)
400 grams assorted stir fried vegetables (I used soybean sprouts, onion, garlic and green bell pepper; I'd like to use broccoli next time)

For the sauce:
1 can (378 grs.) light evaporated milk
1 cup of water
15 slices "reduced fat" American cheese
1 reduced fat and sodium chicken bullion cube
Ground black pepper to taste
1 green bell pepper chopped

Put the sauce ingredients in a blender and liquefy them. Then cook on a saucepan until it thickens. it won't thicken much, and you must keep stirring so it won't crust over. use a teflon pan, as the sauce will form a crust on the bottom and walls of the pan.

Mix the pasta with the veggies, do not fry the pasta. Serve each portion on a plate and pour sauce on each. if you have leftovers, store the sauce in a separate container in the fridge.

Take note the American "cheese" (actually it's a cheese food, but I digress) and the bullion cube have plenty of salt in them. So add salt at your own risk. Also, "reduced fat" cheese is not exactly low fat. That's why I modified the recipe from 20 slices to 15, and added vegetables. The total fat count comes to the high end of what low fat is.

This isn't my favorite recipe, but it's a nice change from the tomato-based sauces.
timberjim
timberjim
  • Threads: 33
November 22nd, 2011 at 4:15:23 PM permalink
Here is a new one I just tried. Simple and delicious.

Sweet and Sour Cabbage with Pork in Crockpot

Shred up enough red cabbage to fill your crockpot 3/4. Chop up and add 2 apples and 2 medium onions. Mix 1 cup cider vinegar and one cup brown sugar. Pour over mixture in crockpot. Place centercut boneless pork chops or a pork tenderloin (use about 2 pounds) on top of vegetables. Turn to low and come back in 7 - 8 hours.

This turned out so good that I'm adding it to Thursdays meal for the people that don't want turkey!
Nareed
Nareed
December 3rd, 2011 at 6:54:44 PM permalink
Today's electrolysis session really had me beat. for one thing it was 2.5 hours long. For another the dammed cocaine-based goop (nee anesthetic cream) doesn't seem to work too well around the lips (ouch!) So I did something simple today.

Easiest pasta:

1 small onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic chopped
200 grams cooked pasta
a handful of soybean sprouts
a handful of red cabbage shredded (I had some cabbage and soybean sprouts left over)
1 can or jar of your favorite red spaghetti sauce.

Stir fry the veggies, add the sauce, serve over the pasta.

See, easy? :)

Surprisingly the cabbage and sprouts go rather well with the rest.

I also made soup, but that was form a can of Campbell's.
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 11th, 2011 at 7:02:40 PM permalink
Just finished the best hearty meal for a cold winter
Sunday night.

I took a can of Campbells Vegetable Beef condenced soup
soup and used a whole 15oz can of beef broth instead of
water. While that was heating in the micro, I cut 6" off
a loaf of whole grain fresh soft french bread. Cut it in half
lengthwise and made a bacon tomato and avacdo sandwich,
with mayo. The soup was steaming hot and I added a half
cup of finely shredded Kraft chedder. Stir till disolved.

Dip the sandwich into the soup and eat. This was so good,
the soup was so hearty, the sandwich was so amazing
after dipping each bite into the soup, that I found myself
wolfing everything down. Every bite was an explosion of
flavor, I wanted more when I was done and I was full.
Sinful pleasure..
Dween
Dween
  • Threads: 66
December 12th, 2011 at 5:28:27 AM permalink
Cool Whip Cookies

1 box cake mix
8 oz tub Cool Whip
1 egg
Sugar (crystal or powdered) for dredging

Combine cake mix, egg, and Cool Whip.
Mix well.
Batter will be super sticky.
Take teaspoon scoop of batter, dredge in sugar.

Bake 12 minutes at 350 degrees F.

Any flavor cake mix may be used - Devil's Food recommended.
-Dween!
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
December 26th, 2011 at 2:59:52 PM permalink
switching this to a future blog post
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
January 3rd, 2012 at 9:28:24 AM permalink
Hemingway's "Papa Doble".

original:
Ingredients:

1 1/2 oz white rum
1/4 oz maraschino liqueur
1/2 oz grapefruit juice
3/4 oz lime juice
3/4 oz simple syrup

Preparation:

Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
Shake well.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
January 3rd, 2012 at 9:50:52 AM permalink
Pasta:
Dump pasta from box into bottom of casserole dish.
Fill with water.
Nuke for 12 minutes.
Dump any excess water.
Serve with either Red Sauce or Yellow Sauce.

Red Sauce: dump accumulated ketchup packages onto pasta and stir.
Yellow Sauce: Take two pats of butter and slice onto pasta.
Nareed
Nareed
January 3rd, 2012 at 9:38:24 PM permalink
I'm working on perfecting textured soy meatless picadillo. In the meantime I've found the near-perfect way to do oatmeal:

6 heaping tablespoons oatmeal
about 3/4 cup of milk.

Mix lightly and put in the microwave on high for one minute.

This works very well, and there's no saucepan to wash afterwards. Cooking directly on the plate, that's progress.

Also I've found my way for making rice. The last batch I cooked was just right in texture, though I may have used too much ginger and too little curry.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 3rd, 2012 at 10:32:50 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Red Sauce: dump accumulated ketchup packages onto pasta and stir.

Do you have to cook this over the burn barrel
with the other homeless people, or can you make
it on the hotplate in your motel room?
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 116
January 3rd, 2012 at 10:38:45 PM permalink
me likes rum... Is the Rum Jungle still around? Banana rum and cola... soooo yummy!!!
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
January 4th, 2012 at 2:06:12 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Do you have to cook this over the burn barrel with the other homeless people, or can you make it on the hotplate in your motel room?

Don't got no hotplate. If I cooked it over a burn barrel then the other homeless people would eat it.

Rum Jungle? Yeah, it closed. I think creditors forced it into bankruptcy over a year ago.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
January 4th, 2012 at 6:58:12 AM permalink

Hemingway's "Papa Doble".

Hemingway had the right idea! Drink Absinthe and throw knives at the waitress.
Nareed
Nareed
January 7th, 2012 at 5:10:25 AM permalink
It turns out I'm a pretty good cook :)

Here's what happened. I took some left over soy picadillo and curry rice to eat for lunch at the office (there are no really good light alternatives at nearby eateries, except for variations on chicken breast). Three people at the office remarked on how good it smelled when I took it out of the microwave.

One asked to taste it. She said she had no idea you could cook textured soy so it would taste good. :) So here's the recipe I used:

Rice:

2.5 cups of water
2 chicken bullion cubes (low fat, low sodium)
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1.5 tablespoon curry powder
half a teaspoon ginger
half a teaspoon turmeric
1/4 onion chopped in large pieces.
1 cup rice

Boil the water, add the chicken bullion cubes. When the cubes are dissolved, add the spices and the onion. Stir a bit then add the rice. Stir some more, reduce the flame tot he lowest setting and cover the pot. Stir occasionally and turn off the flame when the liquid is consumed. The rice ought to turn out yellow.

Meatless soy picadillo:

Textured soy protein, hydrated and squeezed (I didn't measure it, sorry)
2 packs of tomato puree (420 grams total)
1 onion, finely chopped.
1/2 bell pepper chopped
1 carrot chopped
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 chicken bullion cube (low fat, low sodium)
pepper to taste

Saute the onion and bell pepper, when they're done add freshly ground black pepper. Add the carrot and saute some more. Add the soy protein, stir a bit. Add the tomato puree, DON'T stir yet. On top of the puree add the garlic powder and the chicken bullion (but you must shred the cube so only powder goes in). Now stir the whole thing, set the flame low and let it heat until there's no runny tomato puree left, stirring occasionally.

I must say, though, that I'm not satisfied with the picadillo as is. I like it, but it's not quite there yet. I plan to substitute the powdered chicken bullion with beef broth next time.
timberjim
timberjim
  • Threads: 33
January 7th, 2012 at 6:16:54 PM permalink

It turns out I'm a pretty good cook :)

Here's what happened. I took some left over soy picadillo and curry rice to eat for lunch at the office (there are no really good light alternatives at nearby eateries, except for variations on chicken breast). Three people at the office remarked on how good it smelled when I took it out of the microwave.

1.5 tablespoon curry powder

It sounds great, but are these really tablespoons or just teaspoons? I'll give you a review after I try it. Thanks
Nareed
Nareed
January 7th, 2012 at 6:22:56 PM permalink
Quote: timberjim

It sounds great, but are these really tablespoons or just teaspoons? I'll give you a review after I try it. Thanks

Tablespoons. I'm partial to a strong garlicky flavor. I also like curry. When I do have fresh garlic, I out two quartered cloves in the pot with the rice.
Nareed
Nareed
January 15th, 2012 at 8:46:22 PM permalink
I did something new with the textured soy today. After hydrating it with water, I boiled it in beef broth (fat free, according to the package) for about 25 minutes. The results were quite good. It doesn't taste like beef, but it acquired a beefy flavor. then I made soy picadillo and chile sin carne with it (look up thread for those recipes). Both were quite good.

Of course I made a big mistake, which I realized as a I poured the beef stock over the hydrated soy. namely i hydrated the soy first, then tried to get it to pick up flavor from a liquid. Duh! Why not hydrate it with the liquid to begin with? good question. :)

All I can plead is habit. I've cooked a lot of soy, and the first step is always to soak it in water. Then squeeze the excess water out. I'll try it again soon, this time without water.
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
  • Threads: 7
January 15th, 2012 at 9:31:28 PM permalink
Soy alternatives done right, are soooo good.

There is this one soy chorizo that I buy. No meat, gluten free, not that it matters to me, but it IS AMAZING.

I can only find it at Wal-Mart though.

My fav simple recipe is to saute the chorizo, stuff it into a washed red bell pepper, broil in the oven for 4 minutes on high.

Top with favorite cheese.

MMMMM
Nareed
Nareed
January 16th, 2012 at 9:43:12 PM permalink
Quote: YoDiceRoll11

Soy alternatives done right, are soooo good.

Oh, indeed.

Quote:

There is this one soy chorizo that I buy. No meat, gluten free, not that it matters to me, but it IS AMAZING.

Be careful with that. Soy chorizo is easy to find down here, too, but all of the brands I know use lard. Same with chicken and turkey chorizo. it turns out turkey bacon (whatever that is) was a much better option. Meatier, too.

I'm thinking of doing soy burgers next week.
appistapp1s
appistapp1s
  • Threads: 1
January 16th, 2012 at 9:54:15 PM permalink
a craps dealers recipe.......corn pops and beer.
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
  • Threads: 7
January 16th, 2012 at 10:45:06 PM permalink

Be careful with that. Soy chorizo is easy to find down here, too, but all of the brands I know use lard. Same with chicken and turkey chorizo. it turns out turkey bacon (whatever that is) was a much better option. Meatier, too.

Thanks for the heads up. This one however has barely any ingredients in it. It is amazing.
Nareed
Nareed
January 18th, 2012 at 7:23:54 AM permalink
Quote: YoDiceRoll11

Thanks for the heads up. This one however has barely any ingredients in it. It is amazing.

That give a whole new meaning to vacuum packed :)
teddys
teddys
January 25th, 2012 at 4:57:52 PM permalink
I am currently enamored with ratatouille (not the movie). I find myself making it all the time. It is just so tasty. I still haven't perfected the recipe, but I am getting close ... any ideas?

Here is what I use:
Baby eggplant (aubergine)
Baby zucchini (courgettes)
Green bell pepper
Onion
Garlic
Tomatoes (various kinds: fresh, canned, and diced)
Salt, Pepper, and something called Herbes De Provence (smells like a girl's bath product).

I sautee the eggplant and zucchini first in olive oil, stir in the onions, peppers and garlic, and then add the tomatoes. There is usually enough water to cover the vegetables, so I let it reduce and serve it over pasta, or by itself with a few canned sardines on top.

I think the key is to use fresh tomatoes. Makes all the difference. The canned tomatoes are just so crummy; the fresh tomatoes give a much "purer" flavor.
Nareed
Nareed
January 26th, 2012 at 7:12:20 AM permalink
Quote: teddys

I am currently enamored with ratatouille (not the movie).

I love that movie :)

Quote:

I find myself making it all the time. It is just so tasty. I still haven't perfected the recipe, but I am getting close ... any ideas?

Having also read your restaurant reviews (very good, BTW), I must conclude you have a very peculiar taste in food... You won't catch me dead eating eggplant or zuchinni... Anyway, have you tried adding shredded or grated carrots? Making them is a chore, but it might be worth it. I wouldn't saute them with the rest of the veggies, but add them later in the process.

Bell peppers are delicious when cooked, but often they tend to dominate flavor-wise in some dishes. I don't suggest you cut them out, but you may want to revise how much you use, and how big you chop them.

Hope that helps.

And coming soon, my recipe for not making mushroom and pasta soup...
Nareed
Nareed
January 29th, 2012 at 12:53:41 PM permalink
Three new recipes I just tried over the past two weeks:

1) How not to make mushroom soup:

1 liter beef or chicken broth
220 grams thin noodles (locally known as fideos)
1 onion chopped
3 cloves garlic chopped
a whole lot of mushrooms, say about 12 or 15, I guess, sliced.
Olive oil
a sprinkle of powdered ginger
a dash of Worcestershire sauce

Saute the onion and garlic in olive oil. When the onion's done, add the mushrooms. Meantime bring the broth to a boil and then add the pasta, ginger and sauce. When the mushrooms are done, add the mix to the pasta.

Now, I used too little broth, so it pretty much evaporated leaving me with tasty but dry noodles. In Mexico that's known as "sopa seca" or "dry soup (go figure). The results were nice, though.

2) Closer to Mushroom soup:

2 (TWO) liters beef or chicken broth
1 pound of mushrooms, sliced
About 150 grams of shredded cabbage
About 100 grams of soybean sprouts
half a stalk of celery, chopped
Olive oil
a sprinkle of powdered ginger
a dash of Worcestershire sauce
One onion chopped
3 cloves garlic chopped

Pretty much the same steps as 1), only add the cabbage and soybean sprouts (I cook on the fly, pretty much, using whatever I have, I crave, or have left over from other recipes. It's fun!)

Just made it works as soup. After refrigerating leftovers, however, the broth gelled. it will liquefy when reheated, but the "soup" looks solid. Less pasta next time...

3) Nareed's ginger chicken. (Yes, I've used a whole lot of ginger lately)

300 grams chicken breast, cut into small pieces.
Olive oil
half an onion, chopped,
3 cloves of garlic, chopped,
5 mushrooms, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped.
1/2 cup of shredded cabbage
1/3 cup jicama, chopped.
3 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon ginger
1/3 teaspoon turmeric
3 teaspoons corn starch
about 1 1/2 cups chicken broth

Stir fry the chicken in olive oil. Add onion and garlic and saute. When that's done, add the vegetables, chicken broth, spices and soy sauce. Stir very well. cover the pan and let it simmer for five minutes. Meantime dissolve the corn starch in a few table spoons of water. Add the corn starch mix and stir. Reduce the heat to low and let simmer for five more minutes.

This one came out really well. If you like the veggies softer, let it simmer longer.
Mosca
Mosca
February 2nd, 2012 at 6:43:04 PM permalink
Here's one I got from Tom Caulfield, aka Dr Smoke, owner of Chubby's BBQ in Emmitsburg MD.

Tom's original recipe:

The jar of the Bruschetta they sell at Costco, I use 3
an onion thinly sliced then chopped, I use 3
A 49 oz can of Chicken broth, I use 6
Some additional chicken granuels, for the salt
oregano, a few pinches
Thyme
Boneless skinless ckicken breasts cooked on the Flat Top, cut up, I used 10 lbs.
Simmer, adjust seasonings if needed, you shouldn't need.
Oh, a little Parmesean, not too much, the Bruschetta is seriously tasty

Here's what I did:

Chicken Bruschetta Soup

1 39oz jar of bruschetta topping (or a similar amount of fresh bruschetta topping)
3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
some olive oil
1 medium-large onion, thinly sliced and chopped
2 49oz cans of low sodium chicken broth (the bruschetta topping has plenty of salt)
1 tsp chicken bullion granules
a pinch or so of thyme
a pinch or so of oregano
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
2/3 or so of a regular sized box of orzo or similar soup pasta
Italian bread and shredded mozzarella

Pour all the ingredients except the chicken and the olive oil, and the orzo, in a stock pot and heat to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.

Grill the breasts in the olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat until all the pink is gone. Remove from heat, shred, and add to the soup. Take a ladle of the broth and use it to deglaze the skillet (pour it into the skillet and scrape the bottom), and return the broth to the pot.

Simmer on low for an hour or two. Adjust the seasonings if you have to, but this should be just about right. Meanwhile, cook the orzo according to the directions, and add it to the soup.

Toast the bread, melt some cheese on it, and serve with the soup.
Nareed
Nareed
February 7th, 2012 at 7:15:33 AM permalink
I'm 0 for 3 with soups right now... This time it was bean soup. I did learn something: you can't use too much water when attempting to make bean soup. It came out like beans with tomato and chicken sauce with sausages (actually quite good with some rice). So, anyone have a bean soup recipe?

I did better with the soy picadillo. I did hydrate the soy with beef broth. Heat to near boiling, drop the textured soy, stir until the liquid is consumed. It came out very well. Oh, it lacks the texture of real beef, but it's better than making it plain, or adding chicken bullion powder.

Next time I think I'll try cooking the picadillo with less tomato puree and will add some more beef broth and corn starch to try to get a thick sauce.

I'm really enjoying this, and I've yet to 1) cut myself with a knife (matter of time, I'm sure), 2) burn myself with a hot utensil or pot, and 3) cook something inedible.
Nareed
Nareed
February 13th, 2012 at 7:48:09 AM permalink
It seems I never can, or want to, make the same recipe exactly the same way twice. Ok, last night's ginger chicken suffered from a lack of veggies available early in the evening at the grocery store (long story). So I used snow peas, more onion, more carrot and more celery to make up for not having mushrooms, jicama and cabbage. But I also changed and added ingredients:

Sesame oil instead of olive oil, 1/3 teaspoon of ground cumin, and a dash of teriyaki sauce. The sesame oil has a rather strong flavor (I think it smells like roasted peanuts), which changes the tone of the dish. I also used a full liter of chicken broth, and simmered the whole thing longer. The result was very good, again. I'm thinking this dish is proof against anything...

I'm stuck for soup, though. I like soup, and more so during cold days like we're having now. Today was a relatively balmy 12 Celsius morning. Yesterday it was 7. I'd like to do a potato soup next. Any interesting, low-fat recipes out there? Otherwise I may be forced to revisit the bean soup, with a pressure cooker this time...
  • Jump to: