Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 1st, 2012 at 4:07:41 PM permalink
I posted a recipe on my blog. An old one, a bit improved, I'd posted here before:

http://kathyscookingcorner.blogspot.mx/2012/07/green-bell-pepper-fettuccine.html

There's a bonus photo of a portion of my kitchen.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
July 1st, 2012 at 4:44:48 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I posted a recipe on my blog. An old one, a bit improved, I'd posted here before:

http://kathyscookingcorner.blogspot.mx/2012/07/green-bell-pepper-fettuccine.html

There's a bonus photo of a portion of my kitchen.

Holy crap, that's your range? I would kill for that kind of range. Very nice.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Nareed
Nareed
July 1st, 2012 at 4:53:04 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

Holy crap, that's your range? I would kill for that kind of range. Very nice.

Thanks.

I feel I'm wasting it a little, as it has six burners and I almost never use more than two. the overhead light is very convenient.

BTW you can make out part of the microwave oven on the top left corner.
teddys
teddys
July 1st, 2012 at 4:56:26 PM permalink
Made shrimp Pad Thai the other day. I'm never paying for Pad Thai in a restaurant again -- with the ingredients I used, it came to less than $3 per portion (less if you use tofu), and it was just as good. Big portion, too.

It's easy to make. The only necessary ingredients are dried rice noodles (can usually get at an Asian store, cheap), and fish sauce (I like Squid brand -- easy to find). You should also have tamarind juice, or else you won't get the right flavor in the noodles. Some people have said ketchup works. I haven't tried that.

First, soak the rice noodles for 20 minutes to soften them. Cook garlic and chiles (I used serrano chiles; you can also use the dried red flakes) in a high smoke-point oil like peanut. At this point you can add veggies like sliced carrot, onion, or bell peppers if you want. Add the protein in depending on how long it needs to cook for. Then add the noodles, and a cracked egg or two. Mix it all up so the egg sticks to the noodles.

At this point, you'll want to add the sauce which is a mixture of equal parts fish sauce, white vinegar, tamarind juice, and sugar. You can add less sugar if you want. Make about 3/4-1 cup of the sauce, and add it slowly to the noodle mixture. Cook the noodles until the liquid has evaporated and the whole thing gets dry to a certain extent. I like to add extra red chili pepper for heat. At the very end you can throw on bean sprouts, crushed nuts, and/or scallions.

For garnish, serve with chopped cilantro, extra nuts, extra chili, and extra fish sauce, and a fresh lime wedge. Super easy, and super good.

"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
July 1st, 2012 at 5:14:30 PM permalink
Teddy - thanks for that recipe it looks good and easy to make and I love me some Pad Thai. I also happen to really like fish sauce even though my friends can't understand why. Someone even told me once how they make it and I still like it. Thanks again.
Nareed
Nareed
July 1st, 2012 at 5:25:15 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

Made shrimp Pad Thai the other day. I'm never paying for Pad Thai in a restaurant again -- with the ingredients I used, it came to less than $3 per portion (less if you use tofu), and it was just as good. Big portion, too.

It's easy to make. The only necessary ingredients are dried rice noodles (can usually get at an Asian store, cheap), and fish sauce (I like Squid brand -- easy to find). You should also have tamarind juice, or else you won't get the right flavor in the noodles. Some people have said ketchup works. I haven't tried that.

Three strikes in two paragraphs. Impressive!

Tamarind is common in Mexico, though it's sued mostly to make flavored water and candy. I've seen tamarind pulp for sale, but nor juice. I've tried the water and various candies (I don't care for it, i.e. strike three <w>). I can attest it tastes nothing even remotely close to ketchup. But ketchup can add sweetness to a dish. I've used it experimentally for sweet and sour sauces, though I've concluded I'll have to add sugar or Splenda(TM) if I want the "sweet" part of it.

BTW I've heard Ketchup shares a common origin with Garum (a.k.a. fish sauce).
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
July 2nd, 2012 at 3:14:40 PM permalink
Bought a 12lb boneless ham for the holiday week. It
came to me that I had never thought of grilling ham
steaks before. I looked it up and its quite common.

I cut 3 1/2in steaks from the round ham and grilled
them 15min on each side. OMG! Best ham I ever
ate. I didn't use any kind of sauce while grilling
but that would make them even better. They have
a smoky taste that they don't have before grilling.

Later last night I put some sharp chedder on one
and nuked it till the cheese was melted. I made
a sandwich with a large Kaiser roll and Dijon mustard.
I thought of lying on the kithen floor and peeing myself,
it was that good. Every bite was a delight. It was
something you'd get in an upscale restaurant. I
can't wait to do it again this evening.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
July 2nd, 2012 at 4:48:46 PM permalink
Careful Bob sounds like a near occasion of sin, Ha! Just kidding - enjoy brother!
teddys
teddys
July 2nd, 2012 at 5:50:20 PM permalink
LOL, Bob, I love your sinful recipes. Made the one with the beef broth, bacon, avocado, etc. a while back on occasion of finishing an onerous task, and it was excellent, like you said. Would love to try this one except I don't have a grill.
Nareed
Nareed
July 3rd, 2012 at 9:12:15 PM permalink
Bonus mid-week recipe: Sweet and sour cabbage First Draft ;)
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
  • Threads: 25
July 3rd, 2012 at 11:59:00 PM permalink
Are zucchini coming in by the bushel?

This soup is the bomb. A fresh loaf of bread for dipping seals the deal.

Ingredients

2 medium onions, sliced
4 zucchini, sliced (not peeled), approximately 3 cups
4 Tbsp olive oil or butter
6 cups chicken stock
2 cups lima beans (one 10-ounce package, frozen)
1 cup peas (0.5 of 10-ounce package, frozen)
Salt and pepper to taste

Method

In a 4-quart saucepan, saute the onions and zucchini in the olive oil or butter for about 10 minutes or until browned. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add the lima beans and peas. When the mixture comes to a boil again, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Add salt and pepper. Puree all ingredients together in a blender. Return to saucepan, heat and serve. Serves 10 - 12.

Notes

A hand immersion blender doesn't cut it. A really smooth puree is where it's at. We use an Oster blender with good results. A Vita-Mix makes it really creamy.

I don't think we've ever tried butter, just olive oil. Butter would probably make it even better.

Add Tabasco or Adobe Milling for some added variety when zucchini is plentiful.

It serves 10-12 as a simple course. The four of us devour it as a meal.

Source

A 1980's era TV Guide.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
July 4th, 2012 at 2:19:37 AM permalink
Best zucchini recipe:
Whenever someone gives you a bushel basket of zucchini, don a trench coat, dark glasses and drive around the mall in a speedy roadster until you find a car that has been left unlocked. Place zucchini in back seat and drive off at high speed.
Nareed
Nareed
July 6th, 2012 at 1:42:13 PM permalink

Bonus mid-week recipe: Sweet and sour cabbage First Draft ;)

First revision is to try less corn starch next time. After two days in the fridge, the sauce gets too lumpy even after reheating (and after using after twice in one sentce...)

I ant to try something new with chicken this week. Any ideas? I've made ginger chicken, tangerine chicken, sweet & sour chicken, pollo en salsa verde and pollo en salsa chipotle. Prior to that I've made grilled chicken breast, too. I'm thinking about making milanesas de pollo en salsa barbecue (I'm nothing if not cosmopolitan), but I doubt they'll come out ok if I don't fry them in enough oil to lubricate a battle tank (and that's out of the question); so that's a back-burner project so far. I've experimented, unsuccessfully, substitutig ground chicken breast in spaghetti bolognese and in chili (ground chicken tends to clump in large pieces).

I guess I'll search on Google....
Nareed
Nareed
July 8th, 2012 at 2:48:32 PM permalink
I made the second draft of Sweet and Sour Cabbage. Not all it could be yet....

http://kathyscookingcorner.blogspot.mx/2012/07/sweet-and-sour-cabbage-second-draft.html
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
July 8th, 2012 at 2:57:01 PM permalink
How about a recipe for Corn Beef and Cabbage ?
Nareed
Nareed
July 8th, 2012 at 3:39:47 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

How about it?
Nareed
Nareed
July 15th, 2012 at 2:32:25 PM permalink
This week's recipe Chicken and lentil stew.

This is an entirely original recipe.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
July 15th, 2012 at 3:31:31 PM permalink

How about it?

I would like one, that's how about it. Isn't it a Mexiacn dish. OOOPs, my bad. Nareed is the Mexican dish.
Nareed
Nareed
July 16th, 2012 at 9:13:04 AM permalink

I would like one, that's how about it.

If you go through all the recipes I've psoted here and in my blog, I believe you will find one (1), and only one (1), containing any kind of beef. Therefore the chances of another one are slim.

On the other hand, it might be due... :P

Quote:

Isn't it a Mexiacn dish.

Corn Beef? I don't even know what it is.

Quote:

OOOPs, my bad. Nareed is the Mexican dish.

Mexican? You can think that, but you'll stand to be disappointed.
Nareed
Nareed
July 22nd, 2012 at 5:15:58 PM permalink
It's Sunday, and well overdue for this week's recipe:

Simple Spaghetti Recipe

I think I may have posted here in this thread before...
Nareed
Nareed
July 25th, 2012 at 7:42:58 PM permalink
I tried one of my hare-brained ideas today. I'm writing it down here rather than in my blog, because I need to taste it tomorrow (don't ask), but I don't want to forget any details.

Kathy's Really Weird Citrus Cabbage Salad

Ingredients:

Salad:
1/3-1/2 a Head of red cabbage, chopped
1 Teaspoon olive oil
2 Cloves of garlic, minced
1/3 Onion, sliced
2 Carrots, thinly sliced (you may want to use a slicer, like a Presto Salad Shooter)
1 1/2 cups soybean sprouts
Ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup orange juice
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
4-5 mushrooms, sliced

Dressing:
1 Teaspoon olive oil
1 Teaspoon sesame seed oil
1 Teaspoon honey
1 1/2 - 2 Teaspoons mustard (I used plain yellow mustard, but any mustard is good mustard)
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Ok, in a large, deep saucepan or a wok, heat the olive oil and roast the garlic in it for about a minute. Add the carrots and onions and cook for about two minutes more. Sprinkle some black pepper, stir well. Add the cabbage and soybean sprouts. Continue cooking for 2 minutes. In a cup mix the orange juice and 1 tablespoon of vinegar. Add it to the pan and stir well. Cook for about three minutes more, but don't let the vegetables get too soft. Remove from heat.

With a slotted spoon or a large serving fork, transfer the vegetables to a salad bowl, leaving in the pan most of the remaining o.j. vinegar mix. Add the raw, sliced mushrooms.

In a bowl mix the dressing ingredients and whisk well. You want a brownish, thick, homogenous mixture. When you get it, add the liquid left in the pan and whisk some more. Again, you want a homogenous mixture.

Pour the dressing on top of the vegetables and toss well.

I tried it wight then and it was good. But my test for salads is: refrigerate overnight, then try it and see if it's still good. That's why I need to try it tomorrow :)
Nareed
Nareed
July 26th, 2012 at 10:27:27 AM permalink
I had some a minute ago, after refrigerating overnight. Delicious :)

This should be on the blog this evening, as soon as I'm back home and can take a phot. I'm renaming it Kathy's Citrus Cabbage Salad. If it works reheated as well, then it can also be Kathys' Citrus Cabbage :)

Of course, I'm already thinking about improvements. Maybe use freshly squeezed juice and orange zest, plus serving it cold with spinach, bacon bits and roasted sesame seeds. I should find some peanut oil, too, and see how that works...
Nareed
Nareed
July 26th, 2012 at 7:35:58 PM permalink
Blogged!

http://kathyscookingcorner.blogspot.mx/2012/07/kathys-citrus-cabbage-salad.html
Nareed
Nareed
July 30th, 2012 at 10:20:01 AM permalink
Nothing new this week <sigh>

I tried a change in my Coffee gelatin desert. The taste is more or less ok, though I needed more coffee, but the texture is all wrong. I don't know whetehr to try it again, this time disregarding the amounts of liquids indicated in the unflavored gelatin packets, or to try a different idea I had for the same desert.
Nareed
Nareed
August 2nd, 2012 at 7:18:54 AM permalink
I made the citrus cabbage salad again but with a few changes. I used green cababge this time. I used fresh-squeezed orange juice (one medium orange is just a bit over 1/4 cup), and added 1/3 teaspoon of powdered ginger to the dressing.

There's some subtle change in the flavor, but not enough to bother next time.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
August 2nd, 2012 at 8:41:20 AM permalink

I made the citrus cabbage salad again but with a few changes. I used green cababge this time. I used fresh-squeezed orange juice (one medium orange is just a bit over 1/4 cup), and added 1/3 teaspoon of powdered ginger to the dressing.

There's some subtle change in the flavor, but not enough to bother next time.

Next time some avacados and some lime juice, etc, will fix that right up [g]
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Nareed
Nareed
August 3rd, 2012 at 6:59:15 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Next time some avacados and some lime juice, etc, will fix that right up [g]

Don't be silly. Lime doesn't go well at all with oranges.
Nareed
Nareed
August 6th, 2012 at 7:52:37 PM permalink
New original recipe: Kathy's Lentil and Barley Casserole:

http://kathyscookingcorner.blogspot.mx/2012/08/kathys-lentil-and-barley-casserole.html#
Nareed
Nareed
August 11th, 2012 at 9:24:44 PM permalink
Finally I made enchiladas :)

I'll post the recipe tomorrow on the blog, along with the recipe for Mexican Rice.

If things go well, tomorrow I'll attempt to make chicken milanesas with chipotle sauce.
Nareed
Nareed
August 12th, 2012 at 2:40:53 PM permalink
The good news: I did make chicken milanesas in chipotle sauce.

The bad news: I also made bean soup, extra green salsa for the enchiladas, and mexican rice.

In all, between shopping and cooking, I've been on the go for 7 hours or so... And this is supposed to be a day off. I'm seriously considering eating out once or twice a week... Anyway, If I revive a bit after a nap, I'll post recipes to the blog. if not I'll post them tomorrow. I still have to wash a small mountain of cookware.
Nareed
Nareed
August 12th, 2012 at 6:30:09 PM permalink
The long-promised recipe for enchiladas is up:

http://kathyscookingcorner.blogspot.mx/2012/08/cottage-cheese-enchiladas.html

I used cottage cheese as a filling, but you can use shredded chicken if you prefer. Some places make them with other types of shredded meat, go figure.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
August 12th, 2012 at 6:53:00 PM permalink

Wait until March 17th and then stagger into any Irish bar in town.
Nareed
Nareed
August 12th, 2012 at 7:44:22 PM permalink
I put up the recipe for Mexican Rice:

http://kathyscookingcorner.blogspot.mx/2012/08/mexican-rice.html

It's a bit different than the one I posted here some months ago.
ten2win
ten2win
  • Threads: 20
August 12th, 2012 at 8:04:13 PM permalink
Nareed,

A couple of points that I hope you'll clarify about the Enchiladas.

What type of tortillas? Corn or Flour?

Are the green tomatoes with husks the same as tomatillo's that we get here in the US?

The recipe is easy and sounds delicioso!
I don't know everything but I know a lot.
Nareed
Nareed
August 12th, 2012 at 8:17:37 PM permalink
Quote: ten2win

What type of tortillas? Corn or Flour?

Oops! Corn. You can make other things with wheat flour tortillas, but not enchiladas. I added a small correction to the blog post. Honestly, it's so common I didn't even think about it.

Quote:

Are the green tomatoes with husks the same as tomatillo's that we get here in the US?

Green tomatoes have a husk surrounding them. Some stores sell them with the husks and some without. I prefer to buy them without husks because it means one less thing to process in the kitchen. But some people say they're fresher if they come with a husk. I see no difference. And in any case I cook the same day I shop.

Quote:

The recipe is easy and sounds delicioso!

Thanks.

I'll be posting the recipe for milanesas later in the week. I proved to my satisfaction you don't need to drown them in oil in order to cook them well.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
August 23rd, 2012 at 7:36:11 PM permalink
I bought a 2 pound package of deli pastrami,
a loaf of uncut rye bread, a huge dill pickle,
and a can of beef broth. I mixed the broth and
pastrami in a bowl and nuked it for 5min. Cut
the loaf lengthwise, a lot of Dijon mustard and
some thinly sliced Vidalia onion. Piled on the pastrami
and dug in. OMG! Dip the sandwich in the hot
broth, best sandwich I ever ate. With the pickle,
the contrast of flavors was incredible. I didn't
want it to end.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
teddys
teddys
August 24th, 2012 at 5:55:04 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I bought a 2 pound package of deli pastrami,
a loaf of uncut rye bread, a huge dill pickle,
and a can of beef broth. I mixed the broth and
pastrami in a bowl and nuked it for 5min. Cut
the loaf lengthwise, a lot of Dijon mustard and
some thinly sliced Vidalia onion. Piled on the pastrami
and dug in. OMG! Dip the sandwich in the hot
broth, best sandwich I ever ate. With the pickle,
the contrast of flavors was incredible. I didn't
want it to end.

Bob, you should open a sandwich shop. I know an investor who might take a half-interest, too. ;)
Nareed
Nareed
September 2nd, 2012 at 6:23:57 PM permalink
Latest recipes:

http://kathyscookingcorner.blogspot.mx/2012/08/chicken-milanesas-with-chipotle-sauce.html

I set out to prove you could cook a very decent milanesa without using enough oil to lubricate an armored division. I succeeded :)

http://kathyscookingcorner.blogspot.mx/2012/09/sopa-de-fideos-seca.html

Tomorrow, work permitting, I'll post something about other odd projects I thought up. The flour tortilla pizza worked actually quite well, but the homemade pizza sauce needs work.
Nareed
Nareed
October 3rd, 2012 at 1:31:46 PM permalink
I'll be updating new recipes later in the day.

In the meantime you can see what's up here: http://kathyscookingcorner.blogspot.mx/
Nareed
Nareed
October 3rd, 2012 at 6:58:23 PM permalink
Tortilla pizza:

http://kathyscookingcorner.blogspot.mx/2012/09/ongoing-projects-part-one-tortilla-pizza.html

You need to find good, fresh flour tortillas for this one. Don't try it with corn tortillas; the flavor mix would be awful
Nareed
Nareed
October 3rd, 2012 at 6:59:04 PM permalink
Bean Soup:

http://kathyscookingcorner.blogspot.mx/2012/09/bean-soup.html

Lastest iteration.
Nareed
Nareed
October 3rd, 2012 at 7:17:51 PM permalink
What not to do with yogurt:

http://kathyscookingcorner.blogspot.mx/2012/08/coffe-and-yogurt-verdict.html

I haven't tried my latest idea for this dessert because I got interrupted by the "Jewish High Holidays." I don't celebrate them (if anyone does, they're dreary), but I must attend the social family meals.

Maybe next weekend.
Nareed
Nareed
October 3rd, 2012 at 7:20:09 PM permalink
Onion Soup!

http://kathyscookingcorner.blogspot.mx/2012/09/onion-soup.html

This one came out very well, all things considered. I also discovered wine adds a nice bit of flavor and aroma to cooked dishes. I may try some with chicken next week. It's also amazing how good some cheap Chilean wines are. Cheaper even than the local variants grown in Baja California.
Nareed
Nareed
October 7th, 2012 at 9:20:46 AM permalink
Here's my latest post:

http://kathyscookingcorner.blogspot.mx/2012/10/early-morning-cooking.html
Nareed
Nareed
October 7th, 2012 at 12:38:31 PM permalink
Chicken with white wine sauce:

http://kathyscookingcorner.blogspot.mx/2012/10/chicken-with-white-wine-sauce.html

Pretty good, actually, even with the somewhat dried chicken...
Nareed
Nareed
October 7th, 2012 at 6:00:17 PM permalink
I think I finally accomplished something with the coffee-yogurt gelatin. We'll see tomorrow when it's set.

I'm still not satisfied, though. I had to use (I can't believe I'm saying this) instant coffee.

Not that I'm a purist for freshly brewed coffee. I drink instant every morning at home with breakfast; but then my concern is convenience and caffeine, not flavor. The thing is that all my attempts to mix brewed coffee with yogurt failed. I'm looking into emulsifiers, but that's going to take some doing...

I should post it tomorrow in the blog, unless it's a total disaster.
Nareed
Nareed
October 8th, 2012 at 9:26:53 AM permalink
I tried some this morning. It's ok. The proof, as always, consists in eating the entire dish. I'll do that for dessert today.
Nareed
Nareed
October 8th, 2012 at 8:12:50 PM permalink
And here's the recipe for the coffee yogurt gelatin:

http://kathyscookingcorner.blogspot.mx/2012/10/coffee-yogurt-gelatin.html
Nareed
Nareed
October 9th, 2012 at 1:33:32 PM permalink
I was thinking about introducing a cooking challenge, sort of. The purpose was to gather new recipe ideas. But as I was thinking aboutt he rules and the mechanics, I got distracted by thoughts of what else I could do with ground chicken breast, flour, wheat bran, jicamas and tomatoes....

I'll be trying that recipe ASAP, hopefully tomorrow.

I really ought to have a notepad handy...
Nareed
Nareed
October 10th, 2012 at 7:33:15 AM permalink
I decided to do the chicken until Saturday, as I had some cabbage and sausage still left over from last weekend.

I haven't posted this in the blog, becasue I'm not sure what to call it. here's the recipe:

1/4 smal head green cabbage
1 Cup soy bean sprouts
1/2 bell pepper (any color)
4 strips of turkey bacon, sliced
4 turkey Viena sausages cut in cubes
2 large onion slices, chopped
1 clove of garlic minced
1 teaspoon sesame
1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
4 Tbsp. soy sauce
1.5 Tbsp. Teriyaki sauce
1/3 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/3 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup lentils
4 cups water

First boil the 4 cups fo water in a small pot. When it boils, lower the flame to minimum, add the lentils and the cumin, stir well, and let it cook covered until the liquid is nearly all consumed. This takes anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large pot heat the oil. Add the onions, garlic and sesame and cook for two minutes. Add the bacon and sausage, and cook until the bacon is as crispy as turkey bacon ever gets, say around eigth minutes. Then add the cabbage, bell pepper, sprouts, season with turmeric and pepper, and cook until the cabbage is somewhat soft, say about 6 to 10 minutes.

In a cup mix the soy sauce and teriyaki sauce. Add to the pot when the vegtables are nearly done, stir well and let the liquid be consumed. If the lentils are done, remove them from the flame and carefully add them to the large pot, stir well. If they're not done, remove the big pot from the heat, and add the lentils when they're done. Stir well.

Any suggestion for naming the dish? Cabbage and lentils with sausage and bacon strikes me as too descriptive and insipid. But I can't think of anything else...
  • Jump to: