pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
June 6th, 2011 at 11:49:28 PM permalink

Can you get luckier than this? He should have driven to Vegas the next day.
Since he was using a 4 second exposure, some people cried foul, but another photographer caught the same thing with amateur equipment using 1/80 second exposure.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
June 7th, 2011 at 12:39:37 AM permalink
Nice photo.

I have one lightning story.

I was standing in a doorway with several other people when rain had just really started coming down in buckets. (we were all leaving work so we all were really considering the dash to our cars rather than wait out the Texas rain). A few of us were getting ready to run when there was a blinding flash and bang just across the drive as lightning hit a medium size tree maybe 30 ft away. The bark literally exploded from the trunk of the tree like woodchip confetti when the lightning hit it. The tree was split down the middle.

Not so amazingly, no one made a run for their car until the storm let up quite a bit.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
June 7th, 2011 at 5:07:13 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

(we were all leaving work so we all were really considering the dash to our cars rather than wait out the Texas rain).

Can you imagine Texas before air conditioning? I've been to Texas WITH air and I've tried to forget the experience..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
June 7th, 2011 at 6:17:57 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

when there was a blinding flash and bang just across the drive as lightning hit a medium size tree maybe 30 ft away. The bark literally exploded from the trunk of the tree like wood chip confetti when the lightning hit it.
Not so amazingly, no one made a run for their car until the storm let up quite a bit.

For a well written memoir and an introduction to a society of survivors of lightning strikes: A Match to the Heart...
After nature writer Gretel Ehrlich was struck by lightning near her Wyoming ranch and almost died, she embarked on a grueling but often exhilarating journey back to the land of the living. Here she invites readers to share that journey, as she hungrily explores the natural and spiritual world to try and make sense of what happened to her.
progrocker
progrocker
  • Threads: 4
June 7th, 2011 at 6:48:48 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Can you imagine Texas before air conditioning? I've been to Texas WITH air and I've tried to forget the experience..

I lived in a non-air conditioned dorm my sophomore year at Texas A&M in 1999-2000. It's not so bad. They have since put in window units but I remember the students there were fighting that move. Dorm motto was 'Those that sweat together, stick together.'

Nice picture, by the way. I love lightning storms, so long as no one is hurt.
Solo venimos, solo nos vamos. Y aqui nos juntamos, juntos que estamos.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
June 7th, 2011 at 7:25:00 PM permalink
Quote: progrocker

Nice picture, by the way. I love lightning storms, so long as no one is hurt.

The Willis Tower is the highest point in the state, and you have to go 275 miles to find a hill higher in Wisconsin. So I figure they are pretty used to being hit by lightning over the last 37 years.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
June 8th, 2011 at 11:27:22 AM permalink
Here is a pretty crazy one, lightning and volcanoes!:

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
kp
kp
  • Threads: 7
June 8th, 2011 at 12:48:27 PM permalink
  • Jump to: