Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1338
May 4th, 2011 at 10:21:00 PM permalink
I just finished my Oahu blog entry on the Odds site. Before I make it easy to find, please have a preview. You wouldn't believe the work that goes into writing these things up, formatting the pictures, and putting everything in HTML, so I'd be interested in any comments.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 424
May 4th, 2011 at 10:45:45 PM permalink
Thats funny, I read the report before I read your whole post and my thought was, wow, it must have taken about 6 hours to do it. North shore was a wise choice. I lived in HI in the late 70's and could only afford the south shore. It was awful, its where all the dope smoking locals on weed and welfare live. I had to take a public bus into the city and saw the underbelly of the island that tourists never see. It eventually drew me back to the mainland. I could never shake the constant thought when I was there, what a beautiful place this must have been before people ruined it..
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
May 4th, 2011 at 10:47:34 PM permalink
The entry looks clean and well-formatted. I didn't catch any typos or misspellings.

I'm happy you did the pineapple maze! I have an insane love for that. One of my sons still has his card tucked into his pencil case, and it's been almost four years since we went to Oahu. We still tease him about "My pineapple looks like a coconut with hair." The kids also enjoyed the Pearl Harbor tour, doubly when I told them the narrator (Ernest Borgnine) was Mermaid Man from Spongebob.

I also remember some restaurant on the eastern shore in a town north of Waimanalo (can't remember the town but I think the restaurant was named Pinky's) that had guys who did the most amazing balloon sculptures. And my kids love Hanauma Bay. Add in the ease in which you can climb Diamond Head, and Oahu is a good touristy but not too touristy place to bring children.

I've also been to Kauai which is a great place to veg out but expensive. My husband took my oldest son to the Big Island when one of the volcanoes was active. I've never had much desire to go to Maui because that's where the Beautiful People go.

I got the worst sunburn ever on my lips in Hawaii, and I've lived in a beach town most of my life. I will never forget to protect my lips again. That was stupid.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
May 4th, 2011 at 10:52:01 PM permalink
I enjoyed it Wizard. One note regarding the Japanese surrender documents... The ones on display on the USS Missouri are copies. The originals are in the National Archives in Washington D.C.

I really enjoyed the tour of Missouri, and would recommend folks spend the money on the more expensive tour option (there are discount coupons in the tourist booklets you find in the hotels or airport). You get to go to some special places on the ship, like inside the fire control room of one of the big 16 inch gun turrets.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Wavy70
Wavy70
  • Threads: 15
May 4th, 2011 at 11:02:06 PM permalink
I clicked hoping for Beverly D'Angelo bikini shots.
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
PaulEWog
PaulEWog
  • Threads: 9
May 5th, 2011 at 3:24:08 AM permalink
Great report Wiz! I always enjoy your reports as they are both entertaining and I learn a little as well. Now I know what you call 3 under par, (had to look it up), and I had no idea the crater of Diamond Head contained a visitor center. I pulled it up on Google Earth after seeing it in the link you posted. Since it seems most volcano's come back to life at some point are they sure it is positively, absolutely, undeniably and reliably dead?

I noticed one thing in the report:

Near the bottom, when writing about the maze you mention the same thing in two consecutive paragraphs:
Quote:

I, unfortunately, am not among those people who can say that. My guidebook said it takes the average person 15 to 30 minutes to complete the maze. After a solid hour, I still had only six of the eight stations.

Quote:

It was after I returned home that I read the passage saying the average person takes only 15 to 30 minutes to complete the thing. Say what?! Now I felt like a complete doofus. After an hour, I had six stations of the eight stations only.

Perhaps that was intentional, but it kind of looked like you wrote it one way, changed your mind and wrote it another, and left both in.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 302
May 5th, 2011 at 3:32:51 AM permalink
Quote:

right next to the monument. USS Missouri

the above was not finished?

Quote:

The Missouri also safely shelled the Iraqi army from a distance as the Iraqis occupied Kuwait in the first Gulf War, causing their hasty retreat and resulting in what is now the shortest war in US history.

as this is not a very good summary of that war or that action I would just say the battleship participated in that war. [unless I am very much mistaken]. Perhaps you are not looking for editing help that critical, if so, sorry!
_

It *is* very long and I will have to finish later. I do think you successfully make your trip reports interesting, no easy task! That may be because we have some similarities in how we approach such, but actually you get way more out of it than I would and it deserves a blog post while mine never would!
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
May 5th, 2011 at 3:52:33 AM permalink
I use Mozilla's Firefox 4 something or other as a browser and the page displayed halfway off the right edge of the screen. Its probably my virus induced settings or something but it might be displayed that way for anyone using FireFox.
miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
May 5th, 2011 at 4:13:15 AM permalink
The first paragraph under Kaena Point has an extra "I".
Quote:

...inconvenient, so I my son and I did it along the north shore.

As usual, I liked this blog entry.
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
PaulEWog
PaulEWog
  • Threads: 9
May 5th, 2011 at 5:13:52 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

I use Mozilla's Firefox 4 something or other as a browser and the page displayed halfway off the right edge of the screen. Its probably my virus induced settings or something but it might be displayed that way for anyone using FireFox.

Same for me with Firefox 3.6.

• Jump to: