pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
January 8th, 2011 at 11:03:41 PM permalink

Do you think we will see the day when large areas of lower manhattan are off limits to any other vehicles than these vehicles (max 25 mph 2 seaters)? Almost 75% of Manhattanites do not own a car today.

Or do you think it will only happen in custom designed retirement communities (variation on golf cart friendly places today)?
Wavy70
Wavy70
  • Threads: 15
January 8th, 2011 at 11:24:13 PM permalink
Not in at least the next decade or two.
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
January 8th, 2011 at 11:26:05 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Do you think we will see the day when large areas of lower manhattan are off limits to any other vehicles than these vehicles (max 25 mph 2 seaters)? Almost 75% of Manhattanites do not own a car today.

Or do you think it will only happen in custom designed retirement communities (variation on golf cart friendly places today)?

I hope not. These things are ugly as sin. It looks like the bastard love child of a Segway and a Crash Helmet.

or is that just me?

EDIT - apologies for the poor image sizes.
[This space is intentionally left blank]
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
January 8th, 2011 at 11:55:12 PM permalink
Don't they have cars like this in Paris, made by Citroen or somebody like that, that have a lawnmower engine, a top speed of 35 MPH, and would be completely destroyed in a collision with a potted plant? I believe they are making some noise about restricting auto traffic there to just these putt-putts.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 9th, 2011 at 12:14:28 AM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

Don't they have cars like this in Paris, made by Citroen or somebody like that, that have a lawnmower engine, a top speed of 35 MPH, and would be completely destroyed in a collision with a potted plant? I believe they are making some noise about restricting auto traffic there to just these putt-putts.

They'll hold 2 Japanese men comfortably, or half a Texan.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Wavy70
Wavy70
  • Threads: 15
January 9th, 2011 at 1:17:35 AM permalink
Kinda reminds me of bumper cars. Now that would be sweet w a few dozen of these.
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
January 9th, 2011 at 5:35:29 AM permalink

GM had a concept called "Lean Machine" way back, about this size but looked better. Kind of a cross between a motorcycle and a small car. No, they will not close traffic off except for these. Manhattan is too dense for everyone to have anything but a bicycle. And Manhatan still needs lots of large vehicles for deliveries or mass transit. Finally, diplomats at the UN like their big Mercedes and Cadillacs.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
January 9th, 2011 at 7:44:20 AM permalink
Given the failure of most cities to allow Segways on the road, I can't see the vehicle aforementioned being any different. And in the retirement communities, the golf cart is already the perfect vehicle!!!
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
pacomartin
pacomartin
January 9th, 2011 at 9:27:14 AM permalink
Isn't it possible that elevated corridors to support these electric vehicles would be a good alternative to elevated trains?

-
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 9th, 2011 at 9:33:49 AM permalink

Isn't it possible that elevated corridors to support these electric vehicles would be a good alternative to elevated trains?

-

I don't see the cost-benefit being there. WVU has one of the first "skybus" systems Westinghouse ever built in the 1960s and still works. Small cars that hold 10 or so people running every minute or so. No operator. Engineered to avoid collision. Why build elevated roads with individual drivers when you can do this?
pacomartin
pacomartin
January 9th, 2011 at 1:28:44 PM permalink
I thought the WVU was operational in 1975 (not the 1960's). It only has five stations.

The small personal vehicles could operate on an elevated platform above East River Drive and West Highway. Some cross streets could be dedicated to their use, and others the personal vehicle would have to mix with regular traffic. Speeds are not above 25 mph anyway.

I can't see much advantage to driving them around these new communities
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 9th, 2011 at 1:37:53 PM permalink

I thought the WVU was operational in 1975 (not the 1960's). It only has five stations.

The small personal vehicles could operate on an elevated platform above East River Drive and West Highway. Some cross streets could be dedicated to their use, and others the personal vehicle would have to mix with regular traffic. Speeds are not above 25 mph anyway.

The system was tested in Pittsburgh in the late 1960s, that is where i am getting the date from. The system was made to be expandable. Pittsburgh itself would have had a super-world-class system by now under the plans they had. Politicians could not agree on anything and we instead have a couple busways and a light rail line that gets used but is nothing special.
  • Jump to: