Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
April 1st, 2022 at 9:43:13 AM permalink
I went to a new burger place called Habit burger.
For me it’s my favorite burger place now. I used to like 5 guys. This place started in California but now have quite a few in mid Atlantic area.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
April 1st, 2022 at 9:56:29 AM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

For me it’s my favorite burger place now. I used to like 5 guys. This place started in California but now have quite a few in mid Atlantic area.
link to original post

There were quite a few Habit Burgers in Las Vegas. I never made it to one but I am also not a big fan of hamburgers.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
April 1st, 2022 at 10:00:38 AM permalink
I've been to Habit. Not really a fan. It comes across like an In & Out / Smashburger clone - all three of which are overpriced in my opinion (well, unless you are comparing them to burger prices on the Strip - seriously, Fieri? $23 for a fairly basic burger?).
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
April 1st, 2022 at 10:25:06 AM permalink
I really liked KGB when it was in Harrahs, although it was for their Captain Crunch milkshakes as much as their burgers.
If I were to eat in a fast-food burger joint, I'd go with Carl Jrs, although I find them to be the most inconsistent of the chains.
A Big Mac in NY tastes like a Big Mac in Vegas whereas Carl's burgers can vary from shift to shift in the same location.
I live in a fast-food desert. It is well over twenty miles to the closest McDonalds, and thirty until I hit a Wendys, Taco Bell, KFC- which are all on one block right outside the entrance to an Army post.
Bisbee does have a Burger King, perhaps the nastiest I've ever been in, and being at the ass-end of nowhere, it has suffered supply chain and labor problems for the last two years.
Is it a coincidence I've lost well over fifty pounds since moving here? I don't believe so.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
April 1st, 2022 at 10:30:16 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I've lost well over fifty pounds since moving here?

Super mega congratulations! You wouldn't be able to keep them off if there was a Culvers near you. During my month in The Villages I went there 5 or 6 times.
billryan
billryan
April 1st, 2022 at 10:37:00 AM permalink
There is a Culvers on the same block as the rest of the FF places. Luckily, it sux. While Culvers overall is good, this one isn't. You need to go almost to Tuscon to get good Culvers. The one in Sierra Vista is great for its frozen custard but its butter burgers are subpar.
Switching from a fast-food diet to one dominated by rib eyes was hard but I'm glad I did it.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
April 1st, 2022 at 10:37:15 AM permalink

I really liked KGB when it was in Harrahs, although it was for their Captain Crunch milkshakes as much as their burgers.
If I were to eat in a fast-food burger joint, I'd go with Carl Jrs, although I find them to be the most inconsistent of the chains.
A Big Mac in NY tastes like a Big Mac in Vegas whereas Carl's burgers can vary from shift to shift in the same location.
I live in a fast-food desert. It is well over twenty miles to the closest McDonalds, and thirty until I hit a Wendys, Taco Bell, KFC- which are all on one block right outside the entrance to an Army post.
Bisbee does have a Burger King, perhaps the nastiest I've ever been in, and being at the ass-end of nowhere, it has suffered supply chain and labor problems for the last two years.
Is it a coincidence I've lost well over fifty pounds since moving here? I don't believe so.
link to original post

Actually, I lost about 50 pounds in just under a year a few years ago, and BK was a regular part of the diet. The secret is, (a) don't order anything other than the burgers, (b) order them "plain" (well, with cheese), and (c) when you get them home, replace the buns with lettuce/spinach leaves. (I have tried using "low carb" tortillas divided into quarters, but those don't seem to work as well.) You would be surprised how few carbs are in a burger without the bun, especially if the ketchup, BBQ sauce, and mayo are left out as well.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
Thanked by
RogerKint
April 1st, 2022 at 11:09:46 AM permalink
Burgers are always assumed to be bad for you but that's not exactly true. Even at a cheap fast food place, the hamburger patty is the healthiest part of the meal. It's the big white bun, the sugary ketchup/sauce, artificial cheese, fries* and soda that make it so bad.

Grill a grass fed 75/25 burger at home, top with real cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion...and it's okay to serve on toasted dark bread...and that's a healthy nutritious meal

*Organic[ potatoes in moderation are fine but deep frying is not
It’s all about making that GTA
billryan
billryan
April 1st, 2022 at 11:25:01 AM permalink
I mostly eat bison burgers, although I will have an occasional sirloin one. As already said- it is the bun that is the worst part. I cook my burger, with some diced onion and a slice of cheese, and eat it with a knife and fork. I have eliminated bread from my daily diet, for the most part. The last time I had BK, I bought two of their quarter-pound burgers and threw away the buns. It got pretty sloppy so I need to rethink it.
It's the sides and the soda that can do you in.

I found these cheese slices that you microwave and then use as a wrap. They are really tasty but the only place I see them gets $6.99 for four slices so the wrap costs more than the burger it holds.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
April 1st, 2022 at 3:31:00 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I've lost well over fifty pounds since moving here?

Super mega congratulations! You wouldn't be able to keep them off if there was a Culvers near you. During my month in The Villages I went there 5 or 6 times.
link to original post

I have a Culvers about three blocks from my house.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
Thanked by
Johnzimbo
April 1st, 2022 at 4:57:38 PM permalink
In 'n Out.
"What, me worry?"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
April 1st, 2022 at 5:01:48 PM permalink

link to original post

Are you sure you don't mean the Hamburger Habit? The original location is in my college town of Isla Vista. I like them too.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
April 1st, 2022 at 6:51:57 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

link to original post

Are you sure you don't mean the Hamburger Habit? The original location is in my college town of Isla Vista. I like them too.
link to original post

No it’s Habit burger. The original started in Santa Barbara in 1969 . The first one I went to was in Cambodia.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
April 1st, 2022 at 7:02:31 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

He means "The Habit" - it's a chain. There's one near where I live. There's also one at Fashion Show Mall, one on Flamingo just NW of Silver Sevens, and five others in the Vegas/Henderson area.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
April 1st, 2022 at 7:40:36 PM permalink

No it’s Habit burger. The original started in Santa Barbara in 1969 . The first one I went to was in Cambodia.
link to original post

What are the odds two hamburger chains with the word Habit in the title start out in Santa Barbara?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
April 1st, 2022 at 11:02:46 PM permalink
Just saw this thread.

Is it my memory or have hamburgers changed over time?

Today every restaurant seems to serve a "patty" and especially the chains. But I remember getting burgers that weren't a patty but a hand molded "lump" (for lack of a better term) of meat.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
April 2nd, 2022 at 1:51:42 AM permalink

link to original post

What are the odds two hamburger chains with the word Habit in the title start out in Santa Barbara?
link to original post

So are you saying it’s the same place?
I didn’t know Isla Vista was part of or next to Santa Barbara.
Anyhow maybe they changed the name, not sure
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
April 2nd, 2022 at 4:17:08 AM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

Is it my memory or have hamburgers changed over time?

Today every restaurant seems to serve a "patty" and especially the chains. But I remember getting burgers that weren't a patty but a hand molded "lump" (for lack of a better term) of meat.
link to original post

you are correct and it is an interesting point

just about everything today is engineered for speed - not for quality

another great example is if you need service from your phone co. that doesn't fit into their pre answered questions on their recorded message

it takes a very long time to get a real person on the line - not like the past when you would just call and somebody would answer the phone

Please don't feed the trolls
billryan
billryan
April 2nd, 2022 at 5:16:08 AM permalink
Thinner patties cook faster and store easier than the traditional homemade type of burger. Instead of cooking one 1/2 pound burger like home chefs make, it is much easier to simply slap two 1/4 pound patties together.
mwalz9
mwalz9
  • Threads: 52
April 2nd, 2022 at 7:06:00 AM permalink
I feel like the best meal in fast food is a Double Patty Melt from Sonic with tater tots.

Just my 2 cents.
billryan
billryan
April 2nd, 2022 at 7:42:29 AM permalink
Quote: mwalz9

I feel like the best meal in fast food is a Double Patty Melt from Sonic with tater tots.

Just my 2 cents.
link to original post

Some would argue that a patty melt isn't a hamburger. Those that make the argument would say a hamburger has to involve a roll, not bread. Just like Salsbury steak isn't a hamburger, just cooked chopped beef.
I envision a world where the hamburger embraces all these varieties. If a burger can be served on a bed of lettuce, why not on bread. Be bold.
I've never had a Sonic patty melt but always felt their burgers had too much bun to beef. I do like their tater tots.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
April 2nd, 2022 at 8:46:20 AM permalink
Quote: mwalz9

Just my 2 cents.
link to original post

Not a SuperSONIC Double Cheeseburger (works)?
Tend to agree on the tots.
May the cards fall in your favor.
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
April 2nd, 2022 at 9:31:08 AM permalink
Sonic drinks are good but all their food sucks
camapl
camapl
  • Threads: 8
April 6th, 2022 at 8:23:55 PM permalink
Port of Call, New Orleans

Huge, single patties. I ordered rare, and that’s how it was served. I know, I know! Now even my steaks are at least mid-rare, and burgers are at least mid-well. My gut just can’t do what it used to do.
Expectation is the root of all heartache.
  • Jump to: