Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1423
September 24th, 2021 at 10:11:43 AM permalink
I think this so-called scandal is overblown. It's fun for discussion, but it doesn't make my list of top 10,000 things to worry about.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 42
September 24th, 2021 at 1:52:40 PM permalink
It's sure looking like Bialik is going to win the game of thrones, with Jennings becoming her understudy.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh 
  • Threads: 72
October 6th, 2021 at 9:42:22 AM permalink
Join an Oct. 7, 10 a.m. PT webinar with the Bay Area News Group's TV critic and columnist Chuck Barney and former "Jeopardy" contestants from the Bay Area as they give their perspectives on the popular TV game show, the legacy of longtime host Alex Trebek, and the recent controversies.

Panelists will reveal behind-the-scenes secrets of the show and what it was like to deal with the on-camera pressure and compete during the COVID pandemic. They'll also offer insider tips on what it takes to become a "Jeopardy" contestant.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh 
October 7th, 2021 at 8:07:27 PM permalink
Notes from the webinar:

One contestant, Yoshie Hill, was on Alex's last three shows. She said she could discern that he was in pain, but when the camera started, he was radiant: He looked you in the eye and made you feel like you were most important person.

One contestant did a dozen online tests before getting on the show.

Another said it's a long day. 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.: do makeup, play a mock game; he taped Friday show and it didn't start until 4:30; had to change clothes for next show; stories of tapings going until 9 p.m.
They were surprised at the comaraderie and warmth among fellow contestants.

Buzzing in: not based on host's speaking; lights appear on side of the screen; someone backstage activating lights; need to get into rhythm of the host's speaking and producer activating the lights.
Staff advised one contestant that she was buzzing in a half-second too fast.
Monitor to the left of the "big board" shows each contestants' dollar amounts.

They like watching Matt Amodio. One person said fatigue might be a disadvantage for Matt because of the long day.
Producers want contestants to be brief when picking category and amount.
Producers say answering with only last name is OK.

During commercial breaks: Alex retakes a question for better enunciation ("pickups"); judges make decisions — usually not too long, about 3 minutes.
Contestants re-tell their story if they go too long or too short, or if they mess up.
For final jeopardy, get paper to do math. unlimited time, but they speed you up after 5 minutes. They tell you to write the question as well as the wager, so nobody runs out of time writing the question.

Before Covid, contestants stayed at the same hotel, have shuttle; but pay your own way for hotels and meals. Now you find your own place to stay and get to the studio on your own.

Panelists don't believe the questions have been dumbed down or more pop culture-oriented.

Most got their prize money checks 5 months after air date.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh 
October 9th, 2021 at 11:27:29 AM permalink
Here's a recording of the webinar.
Gialmere
Gialmere
November 6th, 2021 at 9:59:47 PM permalink
Mayim Bialik has completed here current run as "Jeopardy!" host. Ken Jennings will take over hosting duties on Monday, November 8th.

November the 8th also marks one year since the death of Alex Trebek. It was a crazy year that no fan of the show will ever forget.

“Jeopardy!” has not yet revealed any hosting information for beyond 2021.
Gialmere
Gialmere
November 17th, 2021 at 8:51:40 AM permalink
In other Jeopardy! host news...

It has been announced that LeVar Burton will now be hosting a new game show based on the board game "Trivial Pursuit".

Story at USA Today
Starburger
Starburger
  • Threads: 2
November 17th, 2021 at 9:56:09 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

In other Jeopardy! host news...

It has been announced that LeVar Burton will now be hosting a new game show based on the board game "Trivial Pursuit".

Story at USA Today
link to original post

This is good news. Levar is very charasmatic and well beloved. Hopefully his new game show is a hit.
One man's offense is another man's humor.
Gialmere
Gialmere
December 8th, 2021 at 6:45:27 PM permalink

Answer: They will continue hosting Jeopardy! through the end of the season.

Question: What's Mayim Bialik and Ken Jennings? (See what I did there?)

No big surprise with this announcement coming out today. I can actually see the show riding this hoss for as long as both hosts are ready and willing to go. Perhaps it takes two people to replace Alex Trebek.

Full Story at Deadline

• Jump to: