Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
August 7th, 2021 at 9:43:14 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Dickens novels were written in installments as chapters/segments for magazines or other periodicals. This caused them to be drawn out and overly long.

They are also highly melodramatic. Dickens also over-uses the literary 'chance meeting coincidence' in his books to such a degree that it's ridiculous. I live in the exact same area where I went to high school and shop in the same stores that my classmates left in the area shop at. The last time I ran into one of them has to be 15 or 20 years ago. If this were a Dickins book I would run into them daily.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 72
August 7th, 2021 at 9:48:32 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

They are also highly melodramatic. Dickens also over-uses the literary 'chance meeting coincidence' in his books to such a degree that it's ridiculous. I live in the exact same area where I went to high school and shop in the same stores that my classmates left in the area shop at. The last time I ran into one of them has to be 15 or 20 years ago. If this were a Dickins book I would run into them daily.

My high school English teacher taught my class about the use of coincidence in literature. Shakespeare also did that.

My Vegas-related coincidence is that I walked by my cousin in a Las Vegas mall years ago. She was in town to visit her sister-in-law. I was there for fun. Total chance meeting!
Last edited by: smoothgrh on Aug 7, 2021
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 7th, 2021 at 10:00:12 AM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

My high school English teacher taught my class about the use of coincidence in literature. Shakespeare also did that too.

Without chance meeting coincidence books and movies
and TV shows would be out of business. You see it
constantly in all manner of fiction. In real life coincidence
is so rare most cops don't believe it at all. They see the
same person at two crime scenes and to them it's a red
flag, not a coincidence. It's how many crimes are solved
by totally ruling out coincidence as a factor.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 217
August 7th, 2021 at 10:11:16 AM permalink

You don't live in Victorian England. With no cars, no buses, no trains, few horses and no public transportation, people in the 1800s rarely moved more than a few miles from their birth unless they went to America or Australia or joined the Armed Services.
No transportation narrowed down ones work opportunities to whatever one could walk to and from in a decent hour. I suspect few people walked two hours to work, worked a ten-twelve hour shift and then walked another two hours to go home.
A girl would be limited to being courted by men in her immediate area ,as well. Chances are she'd marry a local man who had a local job and their kids would do the same thing. In the 1870s/1880s, the British Health Service started a program of lending bicycles to rural villagers just so men could court at a longer distance. As most villages in the country were at least two hour walk from each other, and only the rich had riding horses, riding a bike was the only way a man might court a woman who lived more than a few miles away.
In London, if you were born in a district, chances are your husband will have been born there too, and your kids will be as well.
In the 18th century, most people never went more than twenty miles from their place of birth.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 7th, 2021 at 11:41:39 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

You don't live in Victorian England..

Dickens has been railed against by critics
for using the coincidence device since he
was putting out his periodicals. He overuses
it to the n'th degree. It's not just people
running into each other, it's often how the characters
are connected in ways they aren't even aware
of.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 7th, 2021 at 12:58:59 PM permalink

Dickens has been railed against by critics
for using the coincidence device since he
was putting out his periodicals. .

Way too many authors have a device or a hook that they use over and over in their books. Lee Child does it in the Reacher books. Almost every one has a character in it that is secretly working for the other side, whatever the other side is in that book. And we the readers are not aware of it till the end. Once I became aware of this I started trying to guess who the insider was and I was always right except once. These gimmicks are annoying and good authors don't use them over and over. Lee Child basically writes pulp fiction so I forgave him.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 72
August 7th, 2021 at 8:43:30 PM permalink

These gimmicks are annoying and good authors don't use them over and over.

OMG, Darth Vader built C-3PO! George Lucas is on par with Dickens and Shakespeare!
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 203
September 2nd, 2021 at 2:45:21 AM permalink
_________

started reading James M. Cain's novel "Serenade" last night
that guy was truly a master - I can't put it down
the forward has a brief bio of him
it's amazing - all of the things he did in his life

"𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳"______Edgar Allan Poe

• Jump to: