Calder
Calder
  • Threads: 5
September 29th, 2010 at 11:20:13 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Can anybody name a belief in any other religion that is more patently ridiculous?

How about reincarnation?

[edit] Although a quick Google search seems to indicate reincarnation may not be a Buddhist tenet.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1382
September 29th, 2010 at 12:50:54 PM permalink
Quote: Calder

How about reincarnation?

How is that any more absurd than the notion of heaven or hell? At least that can't be obviously proven false, like the notion that a piece of bread is actually a piece of Jesus' body, but still looks, smells, and tastes like bread.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
September 29th, 2010 at 1:25:14 PM permalink
"You answered 13 out of 15 questions correctly for a score of 87%."

Not bad for a radical Atheist ...

--Dorothy
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 29th, 2010 at 1:48:14 PM permalink
Quote: ruascott

I heard a blurb on the news that self desribed atheists and agnostics had a greater knowledge of religion than those of religious persuasion. My response was duh....

It isn't a coincidence. This quiz was a small version of the one used in that survey. The official survey had 30 questions, I believe.

I think they said the religion that did the best was the Mormon church. That does not surprise me. Before you can become a member you have to take classes to learn the fundamentals. That is something I respect. If you must join a religion, you should understand what you profess to believe in.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit 
  • Threads: 309
September 29th, 2010 at 2:37:11 PM permalink

Can anybody name a belief in any other religion that is more patently ridiculous?

Since you gave the Mormons some 'dap', for balance I'll take the liberty of saying that, as a whole, I have the greatest difficulty with that religion in accepting the general message of their Scriptures. Way, way out there for me. Certainly I recognize some explanations for that, including being numb to some of the more dubious aspects of the regular Christian beliefs I was brought up with.

But they seem like fine people generally, although I've heard some say that if you run into one of the fundamentalist Sects with the multiple wives and all that, supposedly 'fine people' is not in the picture.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 29th, 2010 at 2:39:38 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Since you gave the Mormons some 'dap', for balance I'll take the liberty of saying that, as a whole, I have the greatest difficulty with that religion in accepting the general message of their Scriptures. Way, way out there for me. Certainly I recognize some explanations for that, including being numb to some of the more dubious aspects of the regular Christian beliefs I was brought up with.

Would you care to cite (corrected) some examples?
odiousgambit
odiousgambit 
  • Threads: 309
September 29th, 2010 at 2:49:50 PM permalink

Would you care to site some examples?

Without taking a refresher course, just quickly here, supposedly Joseph Smith found Gold Tablets buried on his farm in New York with a tale of the lost tribe of Israel actually coming to America. Whatever happened to those folks I dunno but Smith was tasked with resurrecting the practice of that Religion. God of course wanted Smith in charge of things and to have so many children he needed to have mucho wives. The wording of these scriptures is exactly that of someone badlly imitating the King James version of the Bible, with the speakers saying "Yea" all the time. It borders on the profoundly ridiculous.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
September 29th, 2010 at 2:58:08 PM permalink

Would you care to site some examples?

I can offer one: the notion that one (presumably rule-following) Mormon can unilaterally "bind" his or her soul to that of another, thus ensuring that the "bound" person's soul winds up in the same place as the "binder", no matter what horrible things the "bindee" may have done or may do in the future!

Although it doesn't strictlly answer your question, I could also cite the belief that Joseph Smith carried around in a horse-drawn wagon two immense tablets made of gold (upon which the Mormon version of the Ten Commandments was supposedly inscribed), even those those tablets, as he described them, would have weighed more than twenty tons.

It used to be a horrible sin for Mormons to drink caffeinated beverages, until the Mormon Church bought a large block of a certain common stock--then Pepsi machines started showing up on the campus of Brigham Young University.

I think the entire Mormon religion is completely batshit. It sounds like something that was made up when a bunch of guys got drunk around a campfire one night. It WAS a work of malevolent genius, though, as Brigham Young employed it--he became the absolute monarch of a region larger than England, with immense wealth and sixty-nine wives, to boot! Damn, I wish I'd thought of it first.

I hasten to add that the Mormon CULTURE was all but ideal for settling and taming an extremely harsh and unforgiving environment--an antlike sense of community was pretty much essential, given the primitive technology available, if anybody was going to survive. Mormons today are actually pretty nice people to get along with. Even though they can't cook worth a damn, I mean, darn.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
September 29th, 2010 at 3:09:39 PM permalink

Would you care to site (sic) some examples?

There are too many examples to fit in the margin ...

This is my favorite essay of all time about Atheism, it was a radio bit, and I don't like the "you-tube-itization" of it at all, but hey, at least you can hear it.

This I believe, Penn Jillette

--Dorothy
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 29th, 2010 at 3:39:20 PM permalink
Joseph Smith's Tablets: I don't see how that is more ridiculous that the Ten Commandments. Maybe god gave him superhuman strength to pull the cart. Isn't there is story in the Koran of Muhammad moving an entire mountain? How about Moses parting the Red Sea? Both of those would require a lot more energy than moving a cart with 20 tons of tablets. About the quality of the English on them, I have no idea about that. Where are these tablets anyway?

Pepsi Machines: Is that the best you can do for a church scandal? Compare that to the current pope, who turned a blind eye towards pedophile priests for years before he was promoted to pope.

Binding Souls: I don't know much about that. However, if you're going to invent a religion, it would seem appealing to say that your loved ones on earth will be with you in the afterlife, even if one of them is worthy on his own. Meanwhile Christians have to live with worshipping a god who will send their loved ones to hell if they don't have the same religion. No, if I must choose a god, I'd choose a nice one.

• Jump to: