Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1382
September 29th, 2010 at 7:35:18 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Geez, Wiz. (Cheese whiz?) It's supposed to be a miracle. Remember that this is a belief that has been passed down for almost 2000 years. It might seem silly today, but it was pretty damned mysterious in 1228....

Good point. I know Catholics are not big on change or dissent. However, amongst themselves, do they ever wink when discussing the more ridiculous beliefs like this.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
ElectricDreams
ElectricDreams
  • Threads: 4
September 29th, 2010 at 7:42:23 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Good point. I know Catholics are not big on change or dissent. However, amongst themselves, do they ever wink when discussing the more ridiculous beliefs like this.

Nope. We believe them. To a certain point it just becomes a matter of faith, but if I already believe in an omniscient and omnipotent being, why would I balk at something like trans transubstantiation?

Oh, I got 13/15. Apparently Jewish Sabbaths aren't a well-known topic by me, and I'd never heard of a First Great Awakening.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 29th, 2010 at 7:46:46 AM permalink
Quote: ElectricDreams

Nope. We believe them.

I can't speak for every Catholic but a good friend of mine in Baltimore was a devout Catholic. I argued with him often about the more bizarre Catholic beliefs. He tried to defend them at first. However, he eventually said that there are only a handful of core beliefs a Catholic must have. The rest is optional.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 179
September 29th, 2010 at 7:48:43 AM permalink

Most Catholics I know don't discuss stuff like that at all, and they take and leave other beliefs at their convenience. It doesn't "cost" anything to accept transubstantiation, so they believe it. However, Mrs Mosca took The Pill, and she's just about the most devout person I've ever met in my life, except probably my grandmother. There are Catholics who are pro-choice, even though the pope says if you're pro-choice you're not Catholic.
NO KILL I
ElectricDreams
ElectricDreams
  • Threads: 4
September 29th, 2010 at 7:50:02 AM permalink

I can't speak for every Catholic but a good friend of mine in Baltimore was a devout Catholic. I argued with him often about the more bizarre Catholic beliefs. He tried to defend them at first. However, he eventually said that there are only a handful of core beliefs a Catholic must have. The rest is optional.

Sorry, I ninja edited my above post.

I guess it depends on what he meant by "core beliefs"? Transubstantiation is definitely something "required".
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
September 29th, 2010 at 7:53:20 AM permalink

I can't get past the feeling that this particular belief is just batsh*t crazy. The bread changes into Jesus' flesh, yet it still maintains every physical property of bread.

What I find baffling is that a bizarre act of cannibalism is part of a religious service.

Quote:

Come one Catholics, wake up! I would have more respect for somebody who believed in the tooth fairy or Santa Claus.

But there is a basis for belief in the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus. You got money under your pillow and the tooth disappeared, right? You got presents on Xmas, didn't you? Of course it's all a hoax, but within the cognitive limits of childhood, these are sensible beliefs.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Calder
Calder
  • Threads: 5
September 29th, 2010 at 8:51:50 AM permalink

"Galileo, Newton, and Einstein were Christians, and they were smarter than you are now, so they must be right and you must be wrong."

I guess if you think this is the point I made, you may claim to have refuted it.

By the way, know a good hangover cure?
dm
dm
  • Threads: 14
September 29th, 2010 at 9:19:12 AM permalink
Don't drink? Or drink the blood/wine.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
September 29th, 2010 at 10:59:58 AM permalink

Most Catholics I know don't discuss stuff like that at all, and they take and leave other beliefs at their convenience. It doesn't "cost" anything to accept transubstantiation, so they believe it. However, Mrs Mosca took The Pill, and she's just about the most devout person I've ever met in my life, except probably my grandmother. There are Catholics who are pro-choice, even though the pope says if you're pro-choice you're not Catholic.

Yeah. It reminds of the Pascal's Wager thread. Theists will always say they believe this and that, but I wonder how deeply they really believe some parts that are just silly or inconvenient to follow. I'm sorry, but I just can't get past how ridiculous the commune thing is. Can anybody name a belief in any other religion that is more patently ridiculous? I could also easily go after the belief that the Virgin Mary was eternally a virgin. Lots of verses in the bible specifically mention Jesus' brothers and sisters. To name just one:

"Is not this the carpenter, the Son of Mary, the Brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him." -- Mark 6:3

If I had to choose a religion, I think Catholicism would be dead last.
ruascott
ruascott
  • Threads: 17
September 29th, 2010 at 11:15:27 AM permalink
I heard a blurb on the news that self desribed atheists and agnostics had a greater knowledge of religion than those of religious persuasion. My response was duh....

• Jump to: