1 vote (10%)
1 vote (10%)

10 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1426
February 23rd, 2019 at 8:26:07 AM permalink
Here are the betting favorites for the 2019 Academy Awards and the probability of winning, as suggested by the going odds:

Award Winner Odds
Best Picture Roma 68.75%
Best Director Alfonso Cuaron 92.08%
Best Actor Rami Malek 84.47%
Best Actress Glenn Close 84.91%
 Best Supporting Actor Mahershala Ali 92.08%
Best Supporting Actress  Regina King 69.70%
Best Animated Feature Film  Spider-Man 93.06%
 Best Foreign Language Film Roma 92.59%
 Best Cinematography  Roma 90.91%
Best Original Song  Shallow - Lady Gaga - A Star Is Born 95.24%

The question for the poll is which film do you think should win for best picture?
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
February 23rd, 2019 at 9:52:49 AM permalink
Alfonso, Rami, Mahershala, Roma? Is the the foreign
awards? Never heard of them.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
February 23rd, 2019 at 10:05:56 AM permalink
"Should" is a tricky term. The Academy's tastes and values are very different than the general public's... and mine, The industry is in the middle of huge changes in the way films are produced and screened. If "Roma" wins, it would be a "jump the shark" moment for motion pictures, and signal a clear end to the studio/distribution model that has dominated since the middle of the last century. The film was barely in theaters, but all over Netflix, and heavily promoted on network advertisements. I guess it's just like how the Emmy awards for television are now dominated by shows only on paid cable channels.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
Thanks for this post from:
AyecarumbaJoeman
February 23rd, 2019 at 10:15:23 AM permalink
The wife tried watching Roma, and even though she likes artsy films, gave up after 30-40 minutes. So it will probably win. I never like the ones the win best picture it seems. I really liked Green Book so it has no shot.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 22
February 23rd, 2019 at 10:57:44 AM permalink
I've only seen Black Panther, but I don't think it deserves Best Picture. It wasn't even the best Marvel movie released last year, let alone best overall movie.

Quote: EvenBob

Alfonso, Rami, Mahershala, Roma? Is the the foreign
awards? Never heard of them.

'The Academy Awards, also known as the Oscars,[1] are a set of awards for artistic and technical merit in the film industry, given annually by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), to recognize excellence in cinematic achievements as assessed by the Academy's voting membership. The various category winners are awarded a copy of a golden statuette, officially called the "Academy Award of Merit", although more commonly referred to by its nickname "Oscar". The award was originally sculpted by George Stanley from a design sketch by Cedric Gibbons.[2] AMPAS first presented it in 1929 at a private dinner hosted by Douglas Fairbanks in the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel.[3][4]'

Source
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 65
February 23rd, 2019 at 11:01:33 AM permalink
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Black Panther.:) Virtually EVERYONE loved BP and praised it as a really good movie. It may be a "Crazy, unorthadox , radical choice," but I'm not exactly known for my "Normal," Predictions, ;) Hey, maybe Black Panther will get 125 votes! LMAO! :D ;)
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
February 23rd, 2019 at 11:42:19 AM permalink
Leftywood will give it to VICE
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
February 23rd, 2019 at 11:59:12 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

I've only seen Black Panther, but I don't think it deserves Best Picture.

I lasted 35 min thru the awful acting
and storyline. I had no idea what it
was even about. And what's with
the green black people. Terrible
movie, talk about overrated..
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
ams288
February 23rd, 2019 at 12:59:26 PM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

Leftywood will give it to VICE

I hope they do. It was brilliant acting. Stands alone without you throwing political shade.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 56
Hunterhill
February 23rd, 2019 at 2:08:56 PM permalink
I just watched Roma on Netflix last night. For the first 30 minutes, I wasn't sure I was going to watch the entire movie (its B&W, and spanish language and very slow and without much narrative tension.) By the end of the movie, I couldn't look away. And afterward, I feel haunted.

Roma has no people with superpowers -not even teenagers who can hack anything including the traffic lights. It is about common people who are often surrounded by a chaotic and distracting reality. It is a profund depiction of the real world as it was in a third-world country in the 1970s. Not sure whether that is a Best Picture attribute. But it also has beautiful cinematography that film arts students will be studying for years. In that way (cinematography) it is a modern-day Citizen Kane.

Black Panther -meh. Not even an exceptional Marvel Universe film.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.

• Jump to: