pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
September 27th, 2010 at 5:42:11 PM permalink
I was reading that China is concentrating on 3 transportation fronts to propel them to the top of the developed world
1) A new chain of airports
2) Masters of the electric car
3) The high speed train

They are also investing heavily in bio engineering as their fourth major front.

Nothing on this scale exists in Europe or USA, but I was surprised to see what kind of ambitious goals they have for the electric car in London.
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
September 27th, 2010 at 6:23:20 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I was reading that China is concentrating on 3 transportation fronts to propel them to the top of the developed world
1) A new chain of airports
2) Masters of the electric car
3) The high speed train

They are also investing heavily in bio engineering as their fourth major front.

Nothing on this scale exists in Europe or USA, but I was surprised to see what kind of ambitious goals they have for the electric car in London.

Everybody's impressed with China, but there are reasons why we shouldn't be. First, their economic advancement has come at the cost of drastic pollution of their environment--I've read that an estimated 3/4 of a million Chinese citizens die EACH YEAR because of industrial pollution. If they continue to expand their economy without regard to their environment, that rate will surely go up--perhaps exponentially. And they disdain agreements like the Kyoto Protocal because they consider that it is "their turn" to expand--yet, one-third of the air pollution over Los Angeles comes from China. So they are fouling their own nests, and ultimately, everyone else's nest as well. The Chinese government considers all those deaths to be an acceptable price to pay--but what can you expect from a government that considers human life to be an excess commodity, and therefore of very little value?

The other reason we shouldn't be afraid is that their government is still a highly intrusive, micro-managing totalitarian oligarchy. No system where the only law, essentially, is "Obey or we'll kill you" has a chance of outperforming a pluralistic society where there is actual rule of law.

In short, as soon as their people get a whiff of what life in other countries is like, there will be a revolution and a civil war. But first, there will be a massive famine (or series of them), plus a few environmental disasters that will make Chernobyl look like a wet firecracker. In twenty years, the population of China will be half a billion LESS than it is now, and it will have fragmented into several rump states ruled by various warlords.

So buy those cheap flat screen TVs NOW.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
  • Jump to: