Thread Rating:

DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 178
May 23rd, 2017 at 5:39:18 AM permalink
Holy crap!

I have too much to say....
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 178
Thanks for this post from:
VladAlex1
May 23rd, 2017 at 6:43:12 AM permalink
Now that I had a few minutes to compose my thoughts, it still starts with holy crap!

I'm coming to town next week. We had tentative plans to have dinner one night. Among other things, we were going to discuss a new game idea I have - he's just about the only person I could trust to keep it under his hat.

Wow.

I first "met" Dan here. In April 2010, there was a discussion about the EZ Pai Gow that he invented. I asked how a regular guy does that, because I had a game idea that I didn't know what to do with.

He gave a lot of help with describing my idea and getting the provisional patent application done.

This was years before Dan wrote his book, but he already had plans to do so, so this was actually something of a help to him - reminding him of some of the stuff that needs to go into the book.

I finally met him in person in September 2010. I was in town for a wedding professional's conference. It was to by my last DJ business trip to Vegas, but my first gaming business trip. He offered to pick me up at the airport, and drive me around town, including introducing me to a couple gaming companies where I pitched my first idea, and to the office of Rich Newman.

Dan also drove me to the Hash House a Go Go on West Sahara where I met Mike and a couple other WoV members for what was at the time called a Wizard Coffee Meetup.

I've been to town at least a dozen times since then, usually with my own rental car, but we've always managed to meet up.

My favorite was when I had dinner with Dan and his wife at his home a coupe years ago. At the time he was living on one of the upper floors of the Panorama Towers. That's the two tall apartment buildings west of I-15 overlooking the strip. We spent the evening sitting on his balcony, drinking wine, watching the sun setting behind us, reflected off the mirror-like finish of the Aria. I've got to find that photo....

Dan will indeed be missed.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
jon
jon
  • Threads: 11
May 23rd, 2017 at 6:44:20 AM permalink
Wow, unbelievable. RIP, Dan.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 154
VladAlex1
May 23rd, 2017 at 7:20:46 AM permalink
So sorry to hear. Condolences to his family and friends.
miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
May 23rd, 2017 at 7:25:16 AM permalink
RIP :+(
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
May 23rd, 2017 at 8:31:25 AM permalink
I assume Dan Lubin posted here as paigowdan, correct?
"What, me worry?"
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 79
May 23rd, 2017 at 8:58:51 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

I assume Dan Lubin posted here as paigowdan, correct?

I am assuming so
I am not familiar with the name Dan Lubin
but
I have met Paigowdan and his wife
They were at the Mission fail mcnugget challenge
Seemed like a real nice guy
RIP
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
VladAlex1
May 23rd, 2017 at 9:29:11 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

I am assuming so
I am not familiar with the name Dan Lubin
but
I have met Paigowdan and his wife
They were at the Mission fail mcnugget challenge
Seemed like a real nice guy
RIP

Yes. Dan Lubin's handle was Paigowdan. I appreciated his generous advice, and industry insider insights. He will be missed.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 79
May 23rd, 2017 at 10:08:10 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Yes. Dan Lubin's handle was Paigowdan. I appreciated his generous advice, and industry insider insights. He will be missed.

Playing pai gow poker at Derby lane st petersburg in remembrance of Paigowdan
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
May 23rd, 2017 at 10:15:43 AM permalink
Only knew him here on the forum. Seemed like a nice, knowledgeable guy (helps that my favorite game is Pai Gow Poker). RIP
Eater of Worlds

• Jump to: