cellardoor
cellardoor
  • Threads: 1
January 28th, 2011 at 4:32:38 PM permalink
I've bought and sold a bunch of stuff off CL. It's an awesome tool and I've gotten great deals every time, although I'm usually buying small stuff under a hundred dollars. I've never had a problem dealing with people over the small stuff.

The only scam I have run in to is trying to find a house to rent a few months ago. On two ads I responded to, both advertised a much lower than average rent for what you got, (The too good to be true factor) I got a story about how he needed to leave the country for his job for a year or two and needed someone to just take care of the property. That is all good and well until they were already in Africa (red flag!!) and wanted me to wire the deposit to them and then he would FedEx me the keys. The communication also wasn't in the best English and ended it with 'God Bless'. I couldn't back away fast enough!

After some research I found the houses they were offering were on the market and the pictures on the ad were taken right from the real estate listing. I notified both CL and the Real Estate agency about it and the agency said it was becoming an increasing problem.

Just another FYI to use your common sense with dealing with things and if it sounds fishy it usually is.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1398
January 29th, 2011 at 4:00:31 AM permalink
Thanks for all the comments. My wife answered a third ad on her own, another unbelievable good deal, and got another sob-story involving an out of state car. I'm going to file this experience under "If it sounds too good to be true..."
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
7outlineaway
7outlineaway
  • Threads: 9
January 31st, 2011 at 11:58:00 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Thanks for all the comments. My wife answered a third ad on her own, another unbelievable good deal, and got another sob-story involving an out of state car. I'm going to file this experienced under "If it sounds too good to be true..."

Wow. Everyone you talked to was out of state? Were these all E-mail exchanges, or did anyone give phone numbers in their ads? Did all the phone numbers have out-of-state area codes?

I bought a car on CL several months ago, and everyone I dealt with had phone numbers in their ads (so I called everyone, never used e-mail). Most of them were local; the guy I ended up buying from had an out-of-state area code, but still was located here and had the car here.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1398
January 31st, 2011 at 12:04:49 PM permalink
Quote: 7outlineaway

Wow. Everyone you talked to was out of state? Were these all E-mail exchanges, or did anyone give phone numbers in their ads? Did all the phone numbers have out-of-state area codes?

They were all Email exchanges. I just had a look at some other ads, which had phone numbers. My advice is not fuss with ads if a phone number is not indicated.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Wavy70
Wavy70
  • Threads: 15
January 31st, 2011 at 12:40:02 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Thanks for all the comments. My wife answered a third ad on her own, another unbelievable good deal, and got another sob-story involving an out of state car. I'm going to file this experience under "If it sounds too good to be true..."

As Sky Masterson said: "One of these days in your travels, a guy is going to show you a brand-new deck of cards on which the seal is not yet broken. Then this guy is going to offer to bet you that he can make the jack of spades jump out of this brand-new deck of cards and squirt cider in your ear. But, son, do not accept this bet, because as sure as you stand there, you're going to wind up with an ear full of cider."
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.

• Jump to: