OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear
Joined: Jun 1, 2014
  • Threads: 51
  • Posts: 6142
December 2nd, 2021 at 10:13:19 AM permalink
Hi All,
I have a quandary and seek assistance.
My favourite ONLINE game is an Atlantic City RNG Blackjack. the house edge is a mere 0.35% and I've had many successful sessions on that game. Probably ahead overall.
But I cannot get it out of my head that it is rigged to give a better experience at low stakes.
E.g. Typically if I buy in for 25 with an exit goal of 50, I SEEM to win more often that I lose. If I buy in at 50 with a win goal of doubling my buy in, again I tend to win more than lose. These are at low stakes, typically 1,2,5,10 maximum.
But on occasions like tonight, where I buy in for much more, in this case 3 x 250, and wager bigger, typically 25,50,75, I get my ass handed to me on a plate.
It sure feels that they adjust the house edge to encourage low stakes gamblers to ramp up.
I'm not the only one to suspect this and I've done half assed experiments to support the theory. Hence my assertion that I've done well a few times at stakes <=5

Would anyone care to offer a statistically sound test of the hypothesis that higher wagers encounter higher house edge? Preferably a test that doesn't involve losing my shirt?
Beware. The earth is NOT flat. Hit and run is not a winning strategy: Pressing into trends IS not a winning strategy: Progressives are not a winning strategy: Don't Buy It! .Don't even take it for free.
MDawg
MDawg
Joined: Sep 27, 2018
  • Threads: 31
  • Posts: 3861
December 2nd, 2021 at 10:32:00 AM permalink
I used to play this poker app that was free but the better players like me would accumulate billions of chips and sell them to other members for real dollars, or people could buy chips from the app itself, so it wasn't entirely free, in other words there was a way to win money.

The general consensus was that the app followed some kind of algorithm that made hands more "exciting" - that is, lots of higher flushes versus lower flushes, river cards completing flushes and full houses simultaneously, high pairs being completed to three or four of a kind then beaten out by higher completed pairs or straight flushes, etc.

Also, the consensus was that the app favored newly created accounts over seasoned ones, within that skewed algorithm.

However, I think all that was going on was that so many hands were played rapid fire that within that pool of so many hands, there was more likelihood that extraordinary events could surface. Something like where if you play enough Baccarat shoes you'll have a higher chance of seeing long runs.

As well, at a recent celebrity poker tournament, I played a pair of jacks where two other players were dealt kings and 10s, and the pair of 10s ended up winning due to a 10's landing. So there we had a hand, very early on, where 3 players went all in with pairs, which when that sort of thing would happen in the poker app I used to play, people would say that it was rigged, not to mention the donk idiocy of going all in before the flop anyway, which is not so smart especially early on in a tournament, but I was stuck at a table of donks who kept going all in every other hand. There are ace + not-suited-low-card donks everywhere, not just on the internet, and sometimes those guys win, doesn't mean that things are rigged.
I tell you itís wonderful to be here, man. I donít give a damn who wins or loses. Itís just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 2552
December 2nd, 2021 at 12:00:23 PM permalink
Quote: MDawg

The general consensus was that the app followed some kind of algorithm that made hands more "exciting" - that is, lots of higher flushes versus lower flushes, river cards completing flushes and full houses simultaneously, high pairs being completed to three or four of a kind then beaten out by higher completed pairs or straight flushes, etc.
link to original post



There was a casino near me that tried offering an "electronic poker table" dealing "Texas Hold-Em".*

The players were quite surprised when they saw more fours of a kind in a few hours than might be seen during the entire WSOP main event, including highlight reels from prior events.

I don't recall the exact details, but the poker room closed, and there were some apologies. Something about the players were randomly ranked at the beginning of each round, and exciting hands were assigned. If the favored player folded, the next ranked player made a hand... etc.

I don't recall the manufacturer (maybe Pokertek? I honestly don't remember, and do not intend to cast aspersions). I think I recall that they were raking every pot, flop or no, to not have a dealer conduct the game.

Cards and chips were simulated on touch screens at each player position.


To complete the donut, this could be the type of exciting poker action the app is attempting to deliver.

*Quotes are used because I doubt the game actually being played was any form of poker; I think the underlying game may have been a variant of spin the bottle.
May the cards fall in your favor.
heatmap
heatmap
Joined: Feb 12, 2018
  • Threads: 190
  • Posts: 1635
December 2nd, 2021 at 12:29:23 PM permalink
I think it is

I once ran my bankroll up to 5k playing 5-25 bets

As soon as I upped to 100 I lost almost every single hand and the entire 5k within an hour

I can lie though running it up to 5k in less than a day was odd IMO playing the smaller stakes

Butt what the hell do I know I have no proof
heatmap
heatmap
Joined: Feb 12, 2018
  • Threads: 190
  • Posts: 1635
December 2nd, 2021 at 12:31:31 PM permalink
Quote: MDawg

The general consensus was that the app followed some kind of algorithm that made hands more "exciting" - that is, lots of higher flushes versus lower flushes, river cards completing flushes and full houses simultaneously, high pairs being completed to three or four of a kind then beaten out by higher completed pairs or straight flushes, etc.
link to original post



Calling DRICH calling DRICH

What you described sounds about right for how the hands are constructed at least from what I know about them

wow this looks almost identical to the one Drich developed

https://www.jackpotdigital.com/pokerpro.html



I should also add i looked up the patents for "pokertek" and it is a company - which holds a patent for variable rake poker games and then i got the "jackpot digital" from them being half owner of some of the pokertek patents
Last edited by: heatmap on Dec 2, 2021
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 2552
December 2nd, 2021 at 4:46:59 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

It sure feels that they adjust the house edge to encourage low stakes gamblers to ramp up.
I'm not the only one to suspect this and I've done half assed experiments to support the theory. Hence my assertion that I've done well a few times at stakes <=5

Would anyone care to offer a statistically sound test of the hypothesis that higher wagers encounter higher house edge? Preferably a test that doesn't involve losing my shirt?
link to original post



Before delving into statistics...
Do you have video?
May the cards fall in your favor.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 2552
December 2nd, 2021 at 4:57:33 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter


I don't recall the exact details, but the poker room closed, and there were some apologies. Something about the players were randomly ranked at the beginning of each round, and exciting hands were assigned. If the favored player folded, the next ranked player made a hand... etc.
link to original post



I should clarify that much of this was rumor floating around the players.

We had a few players at the office; they were decidedly prone to gossip. They definitely said that the hands they saw were more exciting than usual. They were likely speculating as to why.

The only part I can confirm is that the poker room closed, and is now filled with slots. Any apologies made may have been "We are sorry to announce that the poker room will be closing in November."

To all, I apologise for my poor memory of events from 6+ years ago.
May the cards fall in your favor.
teliot
teliot
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 42
  • Posts: 2288
December 2nd, 2021 at 5:14:02 PM permalink
Find out if the software was written by a company based out of Costa Rica. I know exactly one fair company from CR, every other company is crooked. At least, that was the state of the art in 2013 when I sold my auditing company Certified Fair Gambling, the one Michael sold to me in 2006 that is now owned by Charles Mousseau.
Poetry website: www.totallydisconnected.com
heatmap
heatmap
Joined: Feb 12, 2018
  • Threads: 190
  • Posts: 1635
December 2nd, 2021 at 5:51:09 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Quote: Dieter


I don't recall the exact details, but the poker room closed, and there were some apologies. Something about the players were randomly ranked at the beginning of each round, and exciting hands were assigned. If the favored player folded, the next ranked player made a hand... etc.
link to original post



I should clarify that much of this was rumor floating around the players.

We had a few players at the office; they were decidedly prone to gossip. They definitely said that the hands they saw were more exciting than usual. They were likely speculating as to why.

The only part I can confirm is that the poker room closed, and is now filled with slots. Any apologies made may have been "We are sorry to announce that the poker room will be closing in November."

To all, I apologise for my poor memory of events from 6+ years ago.
link to original post



no no no the algorithm works EXACTLY as the player sees it happening... just because the players can describe it though doesnt make it unfair or not random

the players can say whatever they want after the outcome but they never knew the outcome to begin with ... which is IMO the deciding factor to what "fair" actually means

its random and therefore can not be predicted - but the pseudo random number generator can do whatever it wants as long as the outcome or particular outcome is "randomly" chosen with a physical random number generator
Last edited by: heatmap on Dec 2, 2021
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 2552
December 2nd, 2021 at 6:53:28 PM permalink
Quote: heatmap

no no no the algorithm works EXACTLY as the player sees it happening... just because the players can describe it though doesnt make it unfair or not random

the players can say whatever they want after the outcome but they never knew the outcome to begin with
link to original post



Any objection I might have to a game such as I described is based on it purporting to be poker while being something else.
May the cards fall in your favor.

  • Jump to: