Thread Rating:

wannabedealer
wannabedealer
Joined: Feb 21, 2016
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 2
February 21st, 2016 at 5:47:32 PM permalink
Hi guys. I have been around watching your forum for several years, nothing but respect for the depth of knowledge here. I have recently moved to Las Vegas and I am looking to try to get started dealing. I have been privately trained, know the game exceptionally well and I believe I am ready to try to get an audition.

What Casinos should I be looking at to try to get my first break-in opportunity? I appreciate any advice or suggestions.

I have a short list of possible locations, but know that I am probably guessing wrong.

Thanks in advance for your input.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
Joined: May 22, 2013
  • Threads: 37
  • Posts: 3616
February 21st, 2016 at 6:25:33 PM permalink
Quote: wannabedealer

Hi guys. I have been around watching your forum for several years, nothing but respect for the depth of knowledge here. I have recently moved to Las Vegas and I am looking to try to get started dealing. I have been privately trained, know the game exceptionally well and I believe I am ready to try to get an audition.

What Casinos should I be looking at to try to get my first break-in opportunity? I appreciate any advice or suggestions.

I have a short list of possible locations, but know that I am probably guessing wrong.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Wow! Lots of brand new posters over the last couple of days. This one says he knows the game exceptionally well. Which game would that be? Let's hear from the casino employees here on this one. I thought you needed to know most all of the games, pretty well. Did I miss something?
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11046
February 21st, 2016 at 7:05:33 PM permalink
Why don't you post your list here and let the locals comment on it.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
wannabedealer
wannabedealer
Joined: Feb 21, 2016
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 2
February 21st, 2016 at 7:31:14 PM permalink
Thank you for the early replies. You asked which game I was referring to...I am talking exclusively about Craps. I am coached up on all procedures and game protections, as well as the paying and collection processes. I know the bets and payouts inside and out.

Unfortunately, I do not know the other two primary games (Blackjack and Roulette) well enough from a procedure standpoint yet. I have been told that a good dice dealer though can get in on that alone. Is that not true?

The locations I am already considering are (in no particular order): El Cortez, Arizona Charlie's Boulder and Decatur, Aliante, Plaza, California, Fremont, Jerry's Nugget, Fiesta Rancho and Henderson.
MrV
MrV
Joined: Feb 13, 2010
  • Threads: 357
  • Posts: 7967
February 21st, 2016 at 7:49:07 PM permalink
A bit out of date, but see .

Also, see .
"What, me worry?"
djatc
djatc
Joined: Jan 15, 2013
  • Threads: 83
  • Posts: 4477
February 21st, 2016 at 8:23:27 PM permalink
Joker's Wild. Located in wonderful Henderson. Hobnob with $1 craps players.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
RS
RS
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 8624
February 22nd, 2016 at 2:34:25 AM permalink
El Cortez
Jokes wild
Boulder station
Arizona Charlie's
Jerry Nugget

If you're a really good break in, Aliante, Sunset Station, mayyybe palace station.

With 6 months to 1 year experience can probably get hired at any off-strip casino. Probably 1-2 years for on-strip (lower end) like Excalibur NYNY etc. Then Caesars/bellagio/etc. probably looking at 5+ years experience, UNLESS you have some juice. If you got juice, well.....I've seen some really bad dealers at Wynn, Cosmo, and Caesars.
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 206
  • Posts: 10972
February 22nd, 2016 at 4:40:29 AM permalink
Quote: TwoFeathersATL

... he knows the game exceptionally well. Which game would that be? ... Did I miss something?

Yeah, you missed something. You missed the topic of this thread.


Quote: wannabedealer

Unfortunately, I do not know the other two primary games (Blackjack and Roulette) well enough from a procedure standpoint yet. I have been told that a good dice dealer though can get in on that alone. Is that not true?

Although I have no firsthand experience, it is my understanding that a dice dealer often does get hired just for dice, and based only on his dice knowledge / audition.

Good luck!
I invented a few casino games. Info: http://www.DaveMillerGaming.com/ 覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧 Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11046
February 22nd, 2016 at 10:27:27 AM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear



Although I have no firsthand experience, it is my understanding that a dice dealer often does get hired just for dice, and based only on his dice knowledge / audition.



I would agree with this because very few dealers take the time to learn craps. Blackjack is so easy to learn and the most common game so many people only learn that to get in the door of their first job.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 4997
February 22nd, 2016 at 12:27:24 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Blackjack is so easy to learn and the most common game so many people only learn that to get in the door of their first job.



And it probably wouldn't be a bad fall-back plan.

Invest a few hours watching the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmM3CjMPuz8

And then a few dollars in a dozen decks of cards and know how to do all the common shuffle steps.
May the cards fall in your favor.
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
Joined: Mar 28, 2010
  • Threads: 27
  • Posts: 2001
February 22nd, 2016 at 12:27:30 PM permalink
I know for Boyd gaming if you like a dealer at one of these break in joints you can call up human resources and give them a positive report and they put what is known as a blue flag on their profile which can help them move up faster.
teddys
teddys
Joined: Nov 14, 2009
  • Threads: 150
  • Posts: 5524
February 22nd, 2016 at 1:01:48 PM permalink
Quote: rudeboyoi

I know for Boyd gaming if you like a dealer at one of these break in joints you can call up human resources and give them a positive report and they put what is known as a blue flag on their profile which can help them move up faster.

I notice that at Joker's Wild the dealers never stay that long. Some of them are really very good. I notice 6-12 months is the norm for a stint there. Then they move on to Sam's Town/GC/Orleans/Downtown or wherever.

You won't find a better break in game. That table is ALWAYS packed. The players seem decent, too.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11046
February 22nd, 2016 at 1:30:43 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

I notice that at Joker's Wild the dealers never stay that long. Some of them are really very good. I notice 6-12 months is the norm for a stint there. Then they move on to Sam's Town/GC/Orleans/Downtown or wherever.

You won't find a better break in game. That table is ALWAYS packed. The players seem decent, too.



Yes, break in joints turn over dealers constantly. A dealer is either good enough to move on or else they fail and get washed out.

When I first moved to Vegas in 1990 I was playing regularly downtown pretty much 10 hours a day. I got to know many of the pit people and one day the casino I was playing at was short on dealers. The pit boss came over to me while I was playing and asked me if I wanted to deal. I jumped behind the table and dealt for three weeks for him. Definitely not a job that I enjoyed.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
Joined: Jan 5, 2012
  • Threads: 67
  • Posts: 4300
February 22nd, 2016 at 2:25:16 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Yes, break in joints turn over dealers constantly. A dealer is either good enough to move on or else they fail and get washed out.

When I first moved to Vegas in 1990 I was playing regularly downtown pretty much 10 hours a day. I got to know many of the pit people and one day the casino I was playing at was short on dealers. The pit boss came over to me while I was playing and asked me if I wanted to deal. I jumped behind the table and dealt for three weeks for him. Definitely not a job that I enjoyed.


Wow, same day? That's crazy. Did they print up a name tag for you on the spot?
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11046
February 22nd, 2016 at 3:11:32 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Wow, same day? That's crazy. Did they print up a name tag for you on the spot?



Yes, literally just walked right behind a table and I just dealt in the clothes I had on the first night. The next few weeks I wore a white dress shirt and black pants. I really don't remember if I had a name tag or not. Let's just say that everything was handled "very informally".
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
Joined: Jan 5, 2012
  • Threads: 67
  • Posts: 4300
February 22nd, 2016 at 4:52:35 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Yes, literally just walked right behind a table and I just dealt in the clothes I had on the first night. The next few weeks I wore a white dress shirt and black pants. I really don't remember if I had a name tag or not. Let's just say that everything was handled "very informally".


Heh, understood.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 206
  • Posts: 10972
February 22nd, 2016 at 7:42:52 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

... I got to know many of the pit people and one day the casino I was playing at was short on dealers. The pit boss came over to me while I was playing and asked me if I wanted to deal. I jumped behind the table and dealt for three weeks for him. Definitely not a job that I enjoyed.

Wow. Hard to believe that could happen. I mean, aren't dealers required to get a license?

I understand that you don't want to name the casino, but what games were you dealing, and why didn't you enjoy it?
I invented a few casino games. Info: http://www.DaveMillerGaming.com/ 覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧 Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
ontariodealer
ontariodealer
Joined: Aug 5, 2013
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 999
February 22nd, 2016 at 8:52:22 PM permalink
to the thread orig, these days it is tough to be a one game dealer...you might get a break in joint to hire you just craps in vegas but most places these days want a table games dealer, not a craps dealer, roulette dealer etc.
get second you pig
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
Joined: Jan 5, 2012
  • Threads: 67
  • Posts: 4300
February 23rd, 2016 at 7:26:18 AM permalink
Quote: ontariodealer

to the thread orig, these days it is tough to be a one game dealer...you might get a break in joint to hire you just craps in vegas but most places these days want a table games dealer, not a craps dealer, roulette dealer etc.


The good news for OP is that craps is one of the hardest games to deal. So if it's true that he can deal craps competently, he should be able to learn the other games.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11046
February 23rd, 2016 at 1:16:52 PM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

Wow. Hard to believe that could happen. I mean, aren't dealers required to get a license?

I understand that you don't want to name the casino, but what games were you dealing, and why didn't you enjoy it?



Let's just say that in 1990 smaller casinos weren't scrutinized as much as they should have been.

It was a downtown casino and I only dealt blackjack. First off, I don't like standing. Secondly, it is very rote and nothing intellectually challenging about it. I just did it to help out the pit boss and it was an interesting three weeks. I'm glad I did it, but wouldn't recommend it to anyone as a career.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
Joined: Jan 12, 2010
  • Threads: 68
  • Posts: 11933
February 23rd, 2016 at 1:35:51 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Let's just say that in 1990 smaller casinos weren't scrutinized as much as they should have been.

It was a downtown casino and I only dealt blackjack. First off, I don't like standing. Secondly, it is very rote and nothing intellectually challenging about it. I just did it to help out the pit boss and it was an interesting three weeks. I'm glad I did it, but wouldn't recommend it to anyone as a career.


When I dealt charity poker, everyone wanted to deal blackjack when we got that in. After a week or so, nobody wanted to deal it.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!

  • Jump to: