MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
  • Threads: 13
July 2nd, 2013 at 1:53:08 AM permalink
I'm working on a short video project and I need some free editing software. Windows Movie Maker is not quite up to the task. ideally (but not a deal breaker) is that it should have chromakey ability and definitely multiple audio tracks (original audio, plus 2 additional for voice over and music at a minimum).

It also must be free because this is pretty much a one off project that will not generate any income.

Any help appreciated!
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
July 2nd, 2013 at 1:58:05 AM permalink
How long (time, duration) do you think your video will run? What did you shoot it on? Digital tape or a digital file? Do you have to edit it personally?
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
  • Threads: 13
July 2nd, 2013 at 2:10:28 AM permalink
Thanks for the quick response!

Quote: AlanMendelson

How long (time, duration) do you think your video will run?

Well, there's a couple different ways to answer that. Total, in the 40-60 minutes range, but I'll more than likely be breaking it into YouTube sized chunks as well. The longer version will be burned onto DVD for offline use.

What did you shoot it on?

This is a little trickier to describe. It was all captured digitally on a computer at 1280x720. Playing around with 3D animation is a hobby of mine.

Digital tape or a digital file?

Digital files. Some .avi while a few are still images (mostly .tif's), all are 1280x720. I'm not interested much in putting fancy titles in as I can create those in photoshop (and thus why I'd like chroma key ability).

Do you have to edit it personally?

Well, not strictly speaking, but I can't see anyone else doing it for me for free, and as far as I know I'm the only one that possesses the vision to assemble it in such a way as to get the results I want. There would probably also have to be an NDA involved and that seems to make a lot of people squeamish. And moving the many multiple gigs of data would be sort of a hassle as what I have vs what will make the final cut is probably something like 10:1.
onionscd
onionscd
  • Threads: 0
July 31st, 2013 at 2:33:47 AM permalink
AppGeeker video converter -

I have been using it for a while, mostly to convert to different formats, but there is also a edit feature, pretty basic, and should work for what you need.
tupp
tupp
  • Threads: 3
July 31st, 2013 at 11:36:49 AM permalink
Quote: MonkeyMonkey

I'm working on a short video project and I need some free editing software. Windows Movie Maker is not quite up to the task. ideally (but not a deal breaker) is that it should have chromakey ability and definitely multiple audio tracks (original audio, plus 2 additional for voice over and music at a minimum).

It also must be free because this is pretty much a one off project that will not generate any income.

Almost any one of the open source NLEs with keying ability should work for you. The only problem is that there are so many choices.

The venerable Lightworks NLE is now free and available for download for most platforms. It might be a little high-end for a simple project.

Openshot is probably ideal for your purposes and it has become popular, but it sounds like you are running Windows, and the stable Windows port won't be released until December. However, you can run Openshot on a live DVD (runs slower than it would off of a hard drive). The Openshot folks recommend the AV Linux live DVD.

There are lots of other possibilities, but the open source choices are the safest and likely the most robust.
peterandluona
peterandluona
  • Threads: 0
September 2nd, 2013 at 2:50:29 AM permalink
You can use the iGooSoft Video Converter to help you. It is easy to use and useful......
  • Jump to: