Thread Rating:

onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 192
August 8th, 2016 at 4:36:52 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

Both are disproven, you just won't accept the truth. Faith is just a word that was made up get people to believe in total BS, especially when you're trying to convince people to give the church money. One must have faith to believe in things that are impossible and not real.

Did you forget to log into your Evenbob account?
#FreeNATHAN #Paytheslaves
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 192
November 26th, 2017 at 10:14:45 PM permalink
If there are millions of universes, millions being created and exact copies of each and all of us, are we all living lives over or are exact copies living exact copy lives? Maybe even trillions of years later, our own atoms are reconstructed exactly in this universe, are they us. It's funny how simple the God question may seem, but this just blows your mind if a person is truly honest.

Maybe a religious person might say the infinite clones in clone universes have different souls, but.... this just proves the theory, the more you learn, the more you learn what you don't know.

Heaven could be simply not existing in a physical universe or at all. Eternity could just be torture. Knowing you exist could be all the hell anyone needs because existing is inescapable.
#FreeNATHAN #Paytheslaves
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 97
Thanks for this post from:
onenickelmiracle
November 27th, 2017 at 6:17:39 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

If there are millions of universes, millions being created and exact copies of each and all of us, are we all living lives over or are exact copies living exact copy lives? Maybe even trillions of years later, our own atoms are reconstructed exactly in this universe, are they us. It's funny how simple the God question may seem, but this just blows your mind if a person is truly honest.

Maybe a religious person might say the infinite clones in clone universes have different souls, but.... this just proves the theory, the more you learn, the more you learn what you don't know.

Heaven could be simply not existing in a physical universe or at all. Eternity could just be torture. Knowing you exist could be all the hell anyone needs because existing is inescapable.

From one perspective, it could be said there are currently 8 billion universes coexisting, intersecting here on earth. God knows there are many people who seem to see it that way, as if they are the only reality in their universe, and the rest of us are fiction, without any existence beyond whatever use we are to that person.

That's where everyone starts, as an infant. Then the question becomes, how mature do they get? I would suggest we are more psychopathic now than we have been in generations, if not since paleolithic times.

I think that might be one of the hidden morals of the Toy Story films. The toys only become themselves when there is no human around. When Andy is there, the toys become completely passive to his imagination, and are shelved or ignored when they're not part of his play. But they have lives, distinct personalities, and make different choices for themselves than he makes for them when he's the animator.

And then the child grows up and puts away childish things. Or doesn't grow up emotionally, but physically moves into adulthood with a completely egocentric worldview.

Just mulling the analogy...
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 25
November 27th, 2017 at 12:30:58 PM permalink
Quote: progrocker

The stance that God's existence is faith based alone, and therefore neither provable nor refutable, is sort of the easy way out of the argument and is surely not the stance of all theists. For instance, the Catechism of the Catholic Church decrees that God's existence is demonstrable and can be derived from man's reason alone. Not all of the Protestant sects have rejected that line of thinking. The resulting arguments presented from theologians like Saint Thomas Aquinas are pretty interesting, but still have not convinced me. I think the problem of Evil (stylized here as the production of 'Glee', but should refer to non-human caused suffering such as natural disasters) is still the biggest hang up for me, and hasn't been satisfactorily addressed by theists (although Aquinas did try).

I'm a long time atheist, but I don't get why so many are hung up on the problem of evil. To me, it's the worst argument for atheism, at least as usually expressed.

Adam and Eve ate from the tree of knowledge. I interpret this as out preference for a world of freedom in which all things are possible, as opposed to a world in which we are sheltered and everything is controlled. Like a teenager who would rather go out and take risks, experience highs and lows, than have parents control their lives.

More simply, this life can either be a sheltered life with no freedom, or it can be a life where we are free to do as we like and whatever happens happens. It is the latter.

If after you die, you wake up in other plane of existence, obtain a higher level of consciousness, and live forever, you will probably view the suffering of this life as much less important, maybe a learning experience.

The real problem of evil to me, is the evil people have God commit in their religions. Mostly, there are 1,000 religious sects and if you pick/are born into the wrong one, got tortures you for all eternity. (Don't think it has to be interpreted this way, but it's very common.)
1MatterToMotion
1MatterToMotion
  • Threads: 0
November 27th, 2017 at 2:34:05 PM permalink
Quote:

I won the huge genetic lottery and I get joy every day. PENN JILLETTE

I don't think so. Imagine that, a Las Vegas magician won the genetic lottery. Holy crap! And, we can now genetically engineer our own evolution. Sure we can. People continue to wreck the planet. Especially the scientifically advanced ones. It's more like nobody gets away with anything. Unless you are a god, of course. Or, Heaven forbid, the God. But go ask a magician about it.
Never make a bet that you wouldn't take, yourself.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 153
November 27th, 2017 at 2:45:04 PM permalink
Quote: 1MatterToMotion

Quote:

I won the huge genetic lottery and I get joy every day. PENN JILLETTE

I don't think so. Imagine that, a Las Vegas magician won the genetic lottery. Holy crap! And, we can now genetically engineer our own evolution. Sure we can. People continue to wreck the planet. Especially the scientifically advanced ones. It's more like nobody gets away with anything. Unless you are a god, of course. Or, Heaven forbid, the God. But go ask a magician about it.

Not sure how anyone on either side of the religious debate doesnít think Penn has a good life as most of us define it. And he worked hard to get it and deserves it*

*but his politics suck.....sorry had to say it.
1MatterToMotion
1MatterToMotion
November 27th, 2017 at 4:17:37 PM permalink
I'm more sure that the human race isn't genetically special than I am that he bears or not any special human genetics. Professional persons become so specialized that their world views become so distorted. What has human genetics per se to do with the existence or not of God, however defined? But he seems compelled to point to this out about himself from the outset. While his own arguments for atheism seem far-fetched and bombastic. And overly practised, as a magic show. We're of the same genetic material as just about any other species of life, except that our species is so relatively new that our genetic sequencing hasn't yet naturally overcome most of its "bugs". Nothing special about us, as we are different, but not the difference or fixed point in the universe. Or are we? At which point his own arguments appear rather contradictory.
rpw612
rpw612
  • Threads: 3
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKintRS
June 13th, 2018 at 3:28:45 PM permalink
A Reply to all,

Salvation =
We are saved through Godís Grace and through our Faith in the Gospel (Resurrection).
Without free will we would be robots.

Blessings to all.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
June 13th, 2018 at 3:57:51 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

Mostly, there are 1,000 religious sects and if you pick/are born into the wrong one, got tortures you for all eternity. (Don't think it has to be interpreted this way, but it's very common.)

"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
1MatterToMotion
1MatterToMotion
June 13th, 2018 at 5:34:59 PM permalink
Well, however many multiverse universes, and dimensions to put them in, you will have to add another two for a God to "sew" things up. But most meanings of God imply an infinity of those, at which point an additional two dimensions has no meaning, can't be added. Unless the numbers are worked internally into such a model of everything. But how?

• Jump to: