Thread Rating:

treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
February 13th, 2014 at 1:21:34 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Tanzan and Ekido were once traveling together down a muddy road. A heavy rain was still falling.

Coming around a bend, they met a lovely girl in a silk kimono and sash, unable to cross the intersection.

"Come on, girl" said Tanzan at once. Lifting her in his arms, he carried her over the mud.

Ekido did not speak again until that night when they reached a lodging temple. Then he no longer could restrain himself. "We monks don't go near females," he told Tanzan, "especially not young and lovely ones. It is dangerous. Why did you do that?"

"I left the girl by the side of the road." said Tanzan. "Why are you still carrying her?"

Each day is better than the next
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
February 13th, 2014 at 1:21:46 PM permalink
Quote: treetopbuddy

Quote: EvenBob

Tanzan and Ekido were once traveling together down a muddy road. A heavy rain was still falling.

Coming around a bend, they met a lovely girl in a silk kimono and sash, unable to cross the intersection.

"Come on, girl" said Tanzan at once. Lifting her in his arms, he carried her over the mud.

Ekido did not speak again until that night when they reached a lodging temple. Then he no longer could restrain himself. "We monks don't go near females," he told Tanzan, "especially not young and lovely ones. It is dangerous. Why did you do that?"

"I left the girl by the side of the road." said Tanzan. "Why are you still carrying her?"

Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
February 13th, 2014 at 1:22:26 PM permalink
I too appreciate his contributions. Too often the clergy spends all their time preaching to the choir. And congratulations on turning your life around. My analogy was intended to show that prayer is not the only path to redemption and God has little too do with either.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
February 13th, 2014 at 1:25:29 PM permalink
EvenBob has turned me on to the Buddhism…….live in the moment.
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
February 14th, 2014 at 6:31:46 PM permalink
Quote: FrGamble

"If there is a root of evil that became a terrifying force that almost brought the world to destruction in the first half of the twentieth century, it is the anti-religious ideologies of Germany and Russia, North Vietnam and North Korea. It takes almost willful blindness to invert this historical fact, and to suppose that the religions that were persecuted and crushed by these brutal forces are the real sources of evil in the world."

Three words: "GOTT MIT UNS."

By any definition under which Nazi Germany was anti-religious, you belong to the second-most prolific band of atheists there is, from burning the Serapeum to the Eighty Years' War. (The morality or extenuating circumstances of these acts is not the point, only that both were attempts to quiet religious sentiment.) Sure, the Nazis were some lousy Christians, but aren't most Christians in one way or another?

The veneration of the Kim dynasty, too, is difficult to see as anything but religious. The others you might have a case for them being anti-religious in general, but the implication that that's what made them the monstrous regimes they indeed were is belied by the first. While it's absurd to say that the religious folk crushed under their heels were the real evil, it's even more absurd to see these regimes' hatred for your particular brand of religion as underlying their brutality.
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 29
February 15th, 2014 at 6:42:19 AM permalink
Hitler passed out Nietzsche books to many including Mussolini. The idea of a super race, God is dead and the resulting World War can all be traced back to these roots. And even Nietzsche predicted the resulting flow of blood from his ideas!
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
February 15th, 2014 at 11:08:32 AM permalink
Nietzsche - isn't that the guy who said "anti-Semites should be shot"? Don't think Hitler necessarily agreed with him in every regard. But it's certainly not true that the regime was anti-Christian in the same way as Stalin's.
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 173
February 16th, 2014 at 3:51:04 PM permalink
Killed by lack of faith or what? Or God decided to take him home? Or he made a bad bet?

Quote:

A snake-handling TV preacher died on Saturday of a snake bite.

Pastor Jamie Coots, the star of “Snake Salvation,” was bitten on the right hand at his Kentucky church, Middlesborough police said.

The Pentecostal holy man refused to go to the hospital or accept any medical treatment, police said.

Coots, whose show appeared on National Geographic’s television channel, believed snake handling was a commandment from God and a viper’s bite was God’s will.

“When I first started church I said if I ever went to a hospital or a doctor over a snake bite I would quit church,” Coots said in one episode.

He had previously survived a bite that cost him most of the middle finger on his right hand. Instead seeking medical attention for the gruesome injury, he let it rot to black, exposing a quarter inch of bone before it broke off.

He kept the stub of the finger in a glass jar for his wife.

“To me it’s as much of a commandment from God when he said, ‘they shall take up serpents’ as it was when he ‘thou shall not commit adultery,” Coots said on the show of snake handling.

Coots was just as resolute on Saturday, according to police.

Cops and medical crews were called about 8:30 p.m. to a church for reports of a snakebite victim, but Coots had already left, police said.

They later found Coots at home and tried to talk him into medical treatment, but he wouldn’t accept it. The crews finally left about 9:10 p.m.

They returned about an hour later with the Bell County deputy coroner and found Coots dead.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/pastor-jamie-coots-snake-handling-tv-preacher-dies-viper-bite-article-1.1616382#ixzz2tX2ejoNK
Everything is in high definition today except Bigfoot and UFOs
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
February 16th, 2014 at 4:00:54 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Killed by lack of faith or what? Or God decided to take him home? Or he made a bad bet?

Hey! That's not funny! When his offspring dies from a snakebite then it'll be hilarious but until then, it's jus .. Okay, it's still hilarious!
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
gpac1377
gpac1377
  • Threads: 8
February 16th, 2014 at 4:26:32 PM permalink
I figured someone would mention the snake pastor. In the comments to an article, an old joke was posted which I will butcher.

A religious guy is stuck on his rooftop during a flood. A rescue boat comes and the guy waves it off, saying "God will save me." A helicopter comes. "No, God will save me."

The guy drowns. He arrives at the entrance to heaven and asks God, "Why didn't you save me?" God responds: "I sent a boat and a helicopter, what more did you want me to do?"
"Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 feet per second, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter."

• Jump to: