Thread Rating:

DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 32
March 10th, 2014 at 1:55:59 PM permalink
Some would say that atheism is very irrational. It certainly cannot be proved. And they do get clobbered when debates come up on the highest levels.
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
pew
pew
  • Threads: 0
March 10th, 2014 at 2:25:06 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

How?

I treat the claim of a deity the same way I treat claims of astrology, phrenology, numerology, etc. I require evidence for such claims. If any is available, the evidence can be reviewed and assesed.

There are faith-based ideologies with practices approaching religious conventions, complete with dogma, ritual, sins, penance, indulgences, etc. Politics is rife with it. But calling it an atheistic religion misses the point. Religious people may not adhere to a faith or church, but they're not atheists.

Buddhism is atheistic, scientology may also be. Many Jews are atheist and attend temple, get married in their faith ect. You can also go down the road of Marxism as religion but we don't need to go there to prove the point. Religious people by definition do adhere to a faith and or church.
"I treat the claim of a deity the same way I treat claims of astrology, phrenology, numerology, etc. I require evidence for such claims. If any is available, the evidence can be reviewed and assesed."
I think you answered your own question.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 10th, 2014 at 2:31:52 PM permalink
Quote: pew

You can also go down the road of Marxism as religion but we don't need to go there to prove the point.

Communism as practiced in the Soviet Union since the days of Stalin was a religion.

Quote:

I think you answered your own question.

I think you evaded the question. There's nothign religious about science and evidence.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pew
pew
March 10th, 2014 at 2:33:23 PM permalink
Quote: DeMango

Some would say that atheism is very irrational. It certainly cannot be proved. And they do get clobbered when debates come up on the highest levels.

Atheism is a negative view so doesn't lend itself to proof. I've found that most people who don't believe in God do so not because of the arguments for or against but just the fact that they feel they just don't need God in their daily existence, and I would agree that that's a legit view even though I think it's flawed.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
March 10th, 2014 at 2:36:32 PM permalink
I hope to God pun not intended God exists. The fear of not knowing life after death makes many people believe in something.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
March 10th, 2014 at 2:44:43 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

It is still a belief system, but a rational (as in reasoning, not as in the opposite of irrational) choice.

A true agnostic doesn't think about it
either way. He doesn't think about it
at all because there's nothing to think
about. It's like unicorns. I have no
reason to think one way or the other,
it's not part of my life.

Native cultures left to their own devices
don't have problems with believers and
non believers. They accept what they see
and don't add or subtract from it. It is
what it is.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 173
March 10th, 2014 at 2:56:04 PM permalink
The religion of Asasquatch.

Anyone who doesn't believe in a Sasquatch is practicing a religion. Because not believing in Sasquatch requires a religion. Likewise, swamp apes, Jackalopes, abominable smowmen.

Doesn't make sense. You don't need a specified religion to not believe in something.
The Hall of Unverified Claims is a vast place with many shelves.
Nareed
Nareed
March 10th, 2014 at 2:59:44 PM permalink
This:

Quote: pew

Atheism is a negative view so doesn't lend itself to proof. I've found that most people who don't believe in God do so not because of the arguments for or against but just the fact that they feel they just don't need God in their daily existence, and I would agree that that's a legit view even though I think it's flawed.

This is exactly what I meant earlier about outrageous statements regarding atheism. For one thing this quote completely misunderstands the most common basis for atheism (lack of evidence). But most important, shifts the burden of proof to atheists. I am getting tired fo saying this: those whoclaim a deity must prove its existence, not the other way around.

So you see, there's plenty of disrespect on both dies. It's not something unique to atheists.
Nareed
Nareed
March 10th, 2014 at 3:01:08 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Doesn't make sense. You don't need a specified religion to not believe in something.

Thank you.

But the aquatic ape idea is rather tantalizing. We do share some physiological characteristics with aquatic mammals. And for land mammals, we swim extremely well.
pew
pew
March 10th, 2014 at 4:05:07 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

This:

This is exactly what I meant earlier about outrageous statements regarding atheism. For one thing this quote completely misunderstands the most common basis for atheism (lack of evidence). But most important, shifts the burden of proof to atheists. I am getting tired fo saying this: those whoclaim a deity must prove its existence, not the other way around.

So you see, there's plenty of disrespect on both dies. It's not something unique to atheists.

When I say atheism doesn't lend itself to proof I'm agreeing with you. Atheism doesn't require evidence as far as I'm concerned. Belief in God does require support scientifically, philosophically, historically, ect. And the fact is it does stand up to rigorous scrutiny.

• Jump to: