Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
March 20th, 2012 at 1:12:25 PM permalink
It took me a while to figure out how to describe it. I guess I'd have to say, it was a not-very-good movie hiding behind some powerful and raw emotions.

Clooney is usually pretty dependable, but I saw him struggling with the script in a lot of places. IMO the character is written unconvincingly. We don't know enough about him to understand his actions, and we don't find out enough about him during the film, either. And the two plots never meet, even at the film's resolution; they seem to be from different movies, as his extended family only refers to his wife's condition tangentially.

Eh. I'm glad I saw it, my wife loved it. But in a different year, with a different star, it wouldn't have even made a ripple.
A falling knife has no handle.
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
March 20th, 2012 at 1:18:54 PM permalink
But...but....he cried in it! I couldn't think of any other reason that his performance was award-worthy. I thought it was pretty meh overall also.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
March 20th, 2012 at 1:19:25 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Eh. I'm glad I saw it, my wife loved it. But in a different year, with a different star, it wouldn't have even made a ripple.

I didn't care for it, I can't understand why it was
up for all those awards. Saw a movie last night
made in '99 called Holy Smoke, with Kate Winslet.
Not only did it have an intelligent entertaining and
thought provoking script, you get to see Kate
totally naked a couple times. Thats a plus in any
movie.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
March 20th, 2012 at 1:54:03 PM permalink
I thought "Jack & Jill" should have taken all the awards!
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
March 20th, 2012 at 2:12:29 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

I thought "Jack & Jill" should have taken all the awards!

Pretty sure it was nominated for multiple Razzies...can't seem to find any proof on the tubes though.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
March 20th, 2012 at 2:47:31 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

It took me a while to figure out how to describe it. I guess I'd have to say, it was a not-very-good movie hiding behind some powerful and raw emotions.

Clooney is usually pretty dependable, but I saw him struggling with the script in a lot of places. IMO the character is written unconvincingly. We don't know enough about him to understand his actions, and we don't find out enough about him during the film, either. And the two plots never meet, even at the film's resolution; they seem to be from different movies, as his extended family only refers to his wife's condition tangentially.

I wonder if one's impression would be different if you've had to deal with, "end of life", or "family conflict" issues similar to the ones experienced by the characters in this film. I found it very "human", but not very engaging for me, since I didn't identify with any of the characters or conflicts, and was really put off by the fact that none of the main characters had accents, even the dopey boyfriend, despite being raised in Hawaii.

Clooney's character didn't seem any different than the one he portrayed in "Up In The Air".
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
March 20th, 2012 at 3:21:43 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Clooney's character didn't seem any different than the one he portrayed in "Up In The Air".

Clooney usually plays Clooney, except in movies
like O Brother, which he was actually pretty good
in.

This sums up Descendants for me:

"Despite a few good performances, there is very little emotion
from a film that deals with the themes of life, death and family.
A majority of the characters are unlikable and it’s hard to relate
to their plight when you’re thinking that most of them deserve
to be at the pit of a volcano."
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
March 20th, 2012 at 5:09:51 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

I wonder if one's impression would be different if you've had to deal with, "end of life", or "family conflict" issues similar to the ones experienced by the characters in this film. I found it very "human", but not very engaging for me, since I didn't identify with any of the characters or conflicts, and was really put off by the fact that none of the main characters had accents, even the dopey boyfriend, despite being raised in Hawaii.

I've been through those issues. And the film only resonated with me on a secondary level, outside of the actual action on the screen. I find Clooney a little limited, but believable and engaging when he's properly cast. He's a smart guy, and knows to stay in his element. I'm surprised he got stuck in this film.
A falling knife has no handle.
midwestgb
midwestgb
  • Threads: 12
March 20th, 2012 at 5:52:09 PM permalink
Best performance by far, for the wife and I, was the teenage daughter. Our youngest just turned 19 and that actress nailed it... ;-)
  • Jump to: