Thread Rating:

Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
January 13th, 2012 at 5:47:19 PM permalink
The Director of my department is a thinking-type, and wants others in command to be likewise. In interviews for management positions, amidst the normal "list all the odds for all the carnival games" questions, or think-on-your-feet type scenarios, he'll often throw in something from left field. This is his latest, straight from NASA, and I thought maybe some would want to play along for WoV bragging rights ;)

Your spaceship has just crash landed on the moon. You were scheduled to rendezvous with a mothership 200 miles away on the lighted surface of the moon but the rough landing has ruined your ship and destroyed all the equipment on board except for the 15 items listed below. Your crew's survival depends on reaching the mothership so you must choose the most critical items available for the trip. Your task is to rank the 15 items in terms of their importance for survival. #1 is most important, #15 is least.

# Box of matches
# Food concentrate
# 50 feet of nylon rope
# Parachute silk
# Solar powered portable heating unit
# two .45cal pistols
# One case of dehydrated milk
# Two 100lb tanks of O2
# Stellar map of the moon's constellations
# Self inflating life raft
# Magnetic compass
# 5 gallons of H2O
# Signal flares
# First aid kit containing injection needles
# Solar powered FM receiver-transmitter

My crew ranked highest in survivability and I have been named Leader based on my score, should our department ever happen to crash into Luna. I'll grade these after giving time for responses, so....who here's the biggest Bear Grylls/Cody Lundin/Les Stroud?

Oh yeah....NO GOOGLE =p
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
  • Threads: 241
January 13th, 2012 at 6:05:42 PM permalink
I took this years ago and thus will DQ myself. A hint is that this test is often given individually and as a team as a test--the team nearly always does better than the individual.

The big hint I will not give publically.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
duckmankilla
duckmankilla
  • Threads: 15
January 13th, 2012 at 7:04:08 PM permalink
As an initial disclaimer, I am terrible with sciency questions like this since I don't know enough and this seems like one of those trick-type questions where things you think would be useful are actually useless. On the flip side, I'm sure most of this stuff is very useful but i wouldn't know what to do with it.

Bear Grylls I am not, but here goes:

#15 Box of matches --> will these even light without oxygen?
#10 Food concentrate --> I guess this might depend on how far away the mothership is.
#7 50 feet of nylon rope --> Rope seems useful
#8 Parachute silk --> Also sounds important
#6 Solar powered portable heating unit --> It must be bloody cold on the moon.
#13 two .45cal pistols --> If all else fails, at least we can end it quickly
#4 One case of dehydrated milk --> serves as food/vitamins.
#1 Two 100lb tanks of O2 --> or else you're dead
#14 Stellar map of the moon's constellations --> With a compass would you need this?
#11 Self inflating life raft --> To be used as bounce-house style entertainment.
#5 Magnetic compass --> One of few things that might still work on the moon
#2 5 gallons of H2O --> Again, gonna be dead
#12 Signal flares --> If i have a friend with me, shooting signal flares at each other has to be safer than using the .45's. For that reason, this is going 12th.
#9 First aid kit containing injection needles --> Needles are always helpful
#3 Solar powered FM receiver-transmitter --> This is based on my assumption that radio frequencies can operate through space which I think is true but may have just killed my chances of survival.

How'd I do?
Face
Administrator
Face
January 13th, 2012 at 7:20:51 PM permalink
Quote: duckmankilla

How'd I do?

You made me giggle. The explanations were appreciated =)

You scored a 52. That's up there with the highest from our crew. Unfortunately, the scoring is much like golf where low scores win =/ If it's any consolation, I'd still like to have you there should it happen. Anyone that would take time to make bounce houses and shoot flares at each other in a time of near panic is a guy I'd like to have around =)
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
January 13th, 2012 at 7:24:17 PM permalink
These pointelss exercises tend to be filled with obscure tidbits. Things you'd think of as worse than useless are actually quite useful. So I'd take the matches based on that. The compass would be useless as a compass, as the Moon has no magnetic field, and in any case the Earth serves as a good reference point to tell directions. But maybe you can use it for something else.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Face
Administrator
Face
January 13th, 2012 at 7:29:09 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

These pointelss exercises tend to be filled with obscure tidbits. Things you'd think of as worse than useless are actually quite useful.

As far as these kinds of tests go, I'd say this one is fair. There was one item/answer where I was like "WTF - how would I know that?", but it's for the most part just general knowledge. So list em Nareed! I had high hopes for your score ;)
Nareed
Nareed
January 13th, 2012 at 7:43:36 PM permalink
Quote: Face

So list em Nareed! I had high hopes for your score ;)

No, thanks. For one thing the list lacks a vital item. For another, since the list doesn't include spacesuits, the whole exercise is pointelss. Your hypothetical but unlucky adventurer is DOA. :)
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
January 13th, 2012 at 7:55:33 PM permalink
Do the tanks weight 100lbs on earth, or on the moon?
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 13th, 2012 at 8:17:25 PM permalink
Are we assuming we have suits for surviving in a vacuum?
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
PapaChubby
PapaChubby
  • Threads: 11
January 13th, 2012 at 8:30:26 PM permalink
You can make a spacesuit with parachute silk and nylon rope. Duh!
Face
Administrator
Face
January 13th, 2012 at 8:57:40 PM permalink
Quote: dwheatley

Do the tanks weight 100lbs on earth, or on the moon?

I assumed it was Earth weight.

As for the other questions, we weren't given anything whatsoever. It was "here, do this". It's up to you to think it out.

The only thing I'll say is what I already said. Keep it simple. It's not a crazy, trick question filled, absurd test. =)
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 13th, 2012 at 8:58:52 PM permalink
Why would they have a silk chute on a spacecraft,
they've been made of nylon for decades.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
commandertrent
commandertrent
  • Threads: 1
January 13th, 2012 at 8:58:56 PM permalink
0. I will assume that I have a spacesuit
1. two 100lbs of O2 (I have no idea what the weight of these tanks would be on the moon, however if the second tank is too heavy to effectively carry I might drop it (another idea that may just get me killed is to try and use the pressurized O2 as a rocket to speed the journey up). Also this is kind of needed to survive a few minutes)
2. Solar powered FM receiver-transmitter (just because we were scheduled for a rendezvous 200 miles away doesn't mean that if we get in contact with them they won't pick me up where we are, I can't think of any reason why an FM radio wouldn't work in space, in fact to my thinking it should work even better then on Earth due to no air interference)
3. 5 gallons of H20 (water is kind of needed for survival for more then a couple of days and as hiking 200 miles will probably take a good 5 days at least, this is critical)
4. Food concentrate (will take 10 days to get to destination, food is manditory)
5. dehydrated milk (hard to judge how much food I have, if item 4 is sufficient this could go lower on the list)
6. stellar map of moon's constelations (Need this, otherwise I would have NO clue where to go, even with the earth visible I would need this to know which direction to go this does not go higher than food or water because there is a chance I could be picked-up by the mothership without making it to the rendezvous point)
7. first aid kit (good chance that with all of my jumping around i could get myself hurt
8. signal flares (might be able to signal a pick-up early, i am making the assumption that )
9. 50 feed of nylon rope (could be useful, but won't know until I think of a use)
10. Parachute silk (could be useful, but won't know until I think of a use)
11. signal flares (useless as without O2 the flares would not light up)
12. compass (no magnetic field on moon, useless)
13. Box of matches (no oxygen on moon, useless)
14. self inflating life raft (I can't think of how to use this)
15. Portable solar powered heating unit (don't need it if I am on the light side of moon, if on the dark side this is useless, this item is heavier then the other useless items so it scores worse)
duckmankilla
duckmankilla
  • Threads: 15
January 13th, 2012 at 9:08:54 PM permalink
to all responders asking various questions, you're already dead because you asked too many questions and suffocated so at least i know i scored higher than you :-)

haha we're somewhere around 15 posts into this and only 2 responses to the op's question. I'd like to see more answers.

-Duck duck goose
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 129
January 14th, 2012 at 3:52:37 AM permalink
Quote: duckmankilla

haha we're somewhere around 15 posts into this and only 2 responses to the op's question.

2 responses? So we're doing better than usual on responses...
Face
Administrator
Face
January 14th, 2012 at 12:20:14 PM permalink
commandertrent - 33

Well done! You're up there towards the top, at least as far as my department is concerned. Many of your comments were wise, but I'd still rather have a flare war with duckmankilla ;)

If no one else reponds, I'll post the answers later today/tonight
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
January 15th, 2012 at 2:37:48 AM permalink
# Two 100lb tanks of O2
# 5 gallons of H2O
# Food concentrate
# One case of dehydrated milk
# Signal flares
# Solar powered FM receiver-transmitter
# Solar powered portable heating unit
# 50 feet of nylon rope
# Parachute silk
# First aid kit containing injection needles
# Stellar map of the moon's constellations
# Self inflating life raft
# two .45cal pistols
# Box of matches
# Magnetic compass

Here's mine, starting with #1, without looking at anyone else's. I don't know what is meant by the moon's constellations, but have a hunch that's no good. Saw Nareed's remark but also knew that. I *think* flares work without atmosphere.

PS: suspect the NASA connection is bogus.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
January 15th, 2012 at 5:21:06 AM permalink
I'm not sore a solar powered anything is worth very much on the dark side of the moon, but as soon as you cross to the light side you can use the radio to get your rescue team moving toward you.
A falling knife has no handle.
miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
January 15th, 2012 at 5:44:37 AM permalink
I remember doing something like this in about 6th grade. I think the scenario was a plane crash on a island. I did horrible then. Hope I do better this time.

4# Box of matches
3# Food concentrate
5# 50 feet of nylon rope
13# Parachute silk
8# Solar powered portable heating unit
14# two .45cal pistols
6# One case of dehydrated milk
1# Two 100lb tanks of O2
7# Stellar map of the moon's constellations
15# Self inflating life raft
11# Magnetic compass
2# 5 gallons of H2O
12# Signal flares
9# First aid kit containing injection needles
10# Solar powered FM receiver-transmitter
-----
Edit to add: Ok I googled so I could know my score. 57 assuming me and a calculator got along. :)
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
January 15th, 2012 at 5:55:19 AM permalink
I am predicting that one thing will score more:

Quote: SPOILER ALERT - Highlight With Mouse To Reveal

Survival studies have a rule about 3/3/3 that has to kick in. You can survive 3 minutes without air, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food they say (altho always seems to me maybe 5 instead of 3 is more correct but what do I know?) So, anyway, according to that the oxygen tanks have to be tops and H20 has to be next.

I did fail to factor in that they are on the dark side of the moon, but isn't it a fallacy that it is dark? It is only dark when the moon is full, right? We think of it as dark only for that reason? Maybe I did OK on that.

the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
January 15th, 2012 at 6:37:42 AM permalink

Your task is to rank the 15 items in terms of their importance for survival. #1 is most important, #15 is least.

My ranking would be this:

Essential:
1. Two 100lb tanks of O2 - You need about 2 lb/man/day, so if it's 200lbs inside, should last you 100 man-days. If it's total weight, there is less, but still a few days.
2. 5 gallons of H2O - You need 0.5 gallons/man/day, so that's only 10 man-days. Combined with urine it should provide basic sustenance however.
3. Radio - If there is a search effort, the only way to find you
4. Starmap - If there is no search effort
5. Parachute silk - It can get very hot, provides cover

Optional:
5. Food concentrate - You'll run out of water before you starve, but keeps you in shape
6. Rope - Generally useful
8. Medkit - Might help
9. Flares - Too short-ranged, but can help on the dark side
10. Life raft - Extra shelter

Useless, not ranked:
Guns (no sound on the Moon)
Solar powered portable heating unit
Milk (see #7)
Magnetic compass
Box of matches
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
January 15th, 2012 at 9:45:47 AM permalink
Things that are useless:

200 miles = 5 days walking @ 40 miles / day. It is - 200 degrees on the cold side and the opposite on the warm side.

The #1 ingredient is oxygen. Without breathing, you're going nowehere.
#2 is H20. You will need to drink and eat over the dour days.
#3 is food concentate. You will need to eat.
#4 is the map, so you can figure out where you are going.
#5 is signal flares, for your friends to see you.
#6, the solar powered FM receiver-transmitter, would be kind of useless, as radio waves work line-of-sight and would be useless unless the other party was transmitting from a tower.
#7 Rope - the moon is a rocky place, and walking 200 miles might require that you use the rope to get up and down cliffs, keep your team together, drag along the injured, etc.
#8 First aid kit.
#9 Inflatable raft - may be easier to pull along crew and goods, use as shelter from the sun once you get to the bright side
#10 Silk - is always useful.
#11 Pistols
#12 Milk is more useful than the compass.
#13 Matches can be lit with the O2, but is generally useless
#14 If you're on the dark side of the moon, the solar powered heating unit will also be useless.
#15 The compass is absolutely useless.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
  • Threads: 7
January 15th, 2012 at 10:20:26 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

#13 Matches can be lit with the O2, but is generally useless.

Boom you're dead. You're going to try to light a match where? You can't do it in a vacuum with no atmosphere. So you're going to try to create a balanced atmosphere with the 02? Where? If you let the 02 out, it will just escape out unless contained. Contain too much, especially if its pressurized, and try to light the match. Boom. Not worth the risk.

Otherwise I like your list.
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
January 15th, 2012 at 10:44:35 AM permalink
Ok here goes.

#14 Box of matches (Won't light in a vacuum, too dangerous to try and light with anything else, we don't need to heat any food and we can stay warm with communal body head and the parachute silk)
#7 Food concentrate (Extra food essential after having the information from the map)
#6 50 feet of nylon rope
#5 Parachute silk
#13 Solar powered portable heating unit (Could be useless, depending on where we land, there could be no sun for several days)
#9 two .45cal pistols (are there aliens or other combatants we need to worry about, space pirates? Aside from that, the parts and springs in each firearm can be useful for other survival reasons)
#3 One case of dehydrated milk (We can survive on minimal vitamins with this and ration it out along with the water)
#1 Two 100lb tanks of O2 (Gotta breathe)
#4 Stellar map of the moon's constellations (Gotta know where you are going, or you are dead, supplies are limited, knowledge is valuable to be able to utilize the time that you DO have, wandering around with lots of food is dumb)
#11 Self inflating life raft
#15 Magnetic compass (ABSOLUTELY useless, there is no dipolar magnetic field on the moon, I mean you could use the compass for some basic navigation calculations, but you could draw something on the ground that is just as useful, this should be 15 on everyone's list)
#2 5 gallons of H2O (Gotta hydrate)
#10 Signal flares
#8 First aid kit containing injection needles
#12 Solar powered FM receiver-transmitter (again, most likely to be useless, but a little higher on my list because I'd rather have immediate contact than immediate warmth that is going to run out soon)

How did I do?
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
January 15th, 2012 at 10:52:45 AM permalink
Oh, I see what this question wants you to do. I think I know how I can re-organize things to make something special and cover a lot of ground, and have a higher chance of being able to use the solar powered items. Nice. Very crafty.

(But the compass is still useless).
Face
Administrator
Face
January 15th, 2012 at 12:57:32 PM permalink
Final Scores, in order of taking -

duckmankilla - 52
commandertrent - 33
odiousgambit - 42
miplet - 55
P90 - 12 (!)
boymimbo - 16 (!)
YoDiceRoll11 - 30

P90 was the most consistent, but if boymimbo had placed the flares a little lower, he would have made a run for the title. I'm just glad there's a real leader so I can get on with the flare war.

#1 - O2. Duh
#2 - H2O. Also duh.
#3 - Stellar map. You gotta go, best make sure you know where to.
#4 - Food concentrate. Going makes one hungry.
#5 - FM radio. Communication is important.
#6 - Rope. I bombed this one. Lotta gear to take, lots of cliffs to scale/descend. I just figured I'd jump since I'd only weight 25lbs.
#7 - 1st aid kit
#8 - Parachute silk. Can use to bundle stuff, carry injured
#9 - Self inflating raft. Oddly, they said you could use it for propulsion. More fun than flare wars!
#10 - Flares. Flares burn underwater, so should they on moon.
#11 - .45cal. Used as propulsion. Ever see Yosemite Sam lift himself off the ground by shootin'? Like that. And I just invented the first moon sport, .45cal long jump
#12 - Dehydrated milk. Bulkier and less efficient form of food concentrate.
#13 - Heating unit. 200miles from light-side mothership = good chance of also being on light side. Useless and bulky
#14 - Compass. No magnetic field on moon
#15 - Matches. Worthless.

Gratz P90 and boymimbo!

(I got a 26)
Nareed
Nareed
January 15th, 2012 at 1:06:52 PM permalink
I still don't see spacesuits on the list...

#10 - Flares. Flares burn underwater, so should they on moon.

They will burn anywhere. They carry their own oxidizer. The problem is getting them to stop burning.

Quote:

#11 - .45cal. Used as propulsion. Ever see Yosemite Sam lift himself off the ground by shootin'? Like that. And I just invented the first moon sport, .45cal long jump

I'm surprised at this. Assuming you could even fire a gun while wearing a spacesuit (which are not on the list), I don't think you'd be propelled off the ground at all 1/6th gravity or not.
Face
Administrator
Face
January 15th, 2012 at 1:21:47 PM permalink

I still don't see spacesuits on the list...

I think they were a given ;)

I'm surprised at this. Assuming you could even fire a gun while wearing a spacesuit (which are not on the list), I don't think you'd be propelled off the ground at all 1/6th gravity or not.

Well, a .45 fires at over 20,000psi. Depending on the grain, it delivers between 400-600 ft/lb of energy. I'm no physicist, but I reckon whatever it "puts out" to the target would equal what it "puts in" to the shooter (equal and opposite, no?). So follow up question, would those forces acting on an object (the bullet) that weighs 15g and is about 12mm X 14mm in size be enough to propel a man off his feet on the moon? Forget equipment, assume he is dressed business-casual and weighs 200lbs on Earth. Keep it simple ;)
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
January 15th, 2012 at 1:52:40 PM permalink

Well, a .45 fires at over 20,000psi. Depending on the grain, it delivers between 400-600 ft/lb of energy. I'm no physicist, but I reckon whatever it "puts out" to the target would equal what it "puts in" to the shooter (equal and opposite, no?). So follow up question, would those forces acting on an object (the bullet) that weighs 15g and is about 12mm X 14mm in size be enough to propel a man off his feet on the moon? Forget equipment, assume he is dressed business-casual and weighs 200lbs on Earth. Keep it simple ;)

It won't, but that's just a minor complication. The real problem with this idea is thar gun powder isn't anything like a signal flare - it needs oxygen to burn. So, the gun should really go with matches. After the matches actually, it is as useless, but much heavier.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
Face
Administrator
Face
January 15th, 2012 at 1:57:48 PM permalink
Quote: weaselman

It won't, but that's just a minor complication. The real problem with this idea is thar gun powder isn't anything like a signal flare - it needs oxygen to burn. So, the gun should really go with matches. After the matches actually, it is as useless, but much heavier.

O2 is already in the case, it gets sealed in there during manufacturing. Granted, there may be imperfections in the neck of some of them that may allow it to escape, but I wouldn't say it would be far fetched for them to work on the moon. I've dropped plenty in water, never had one go bad.
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
January 15th, 2012 at 2:16:00 PM permalink

That's a big WTF to me as well. I think the original test creator made a mistake, confusing two tests or something.

Guns and gas bottles are useful for propulsion in outer space. On the Moon, it's completely meaningless - you have your legs.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
Nareed
Nareed
January 15th, 2012 at 2:43:12 PM permalink
Quote: weaselman

It won't, but that's just a minor complication. The real problem with this idea is thar gun powder isn't anything like a signal flare - it needs oxygen to burn.

Ah, no, it doesn't. All explosives are self-contained, needing only the proverbial spark to set them off. This goes back to classic gun powder, with its well-known mix of sulfur, charcoal and saltpeter. The latter provides any oxidation needs to quickly burn the mix. Today's gun powder, if it cans till be called that, is just as self contained.

About the only common type of explosive or bomb that won't work in a vacuum is a fuel-air explosive. I assume an explanation is unnecessary.
Nareed
Nareed
January 15th, 2012 at 2:46:38 PM permalink
Quote: P90

That's a big WTF to me as well. I think the original test creator made a mistake, confusing two tests or something.

Or taking cartoon physics seriously :)

A similar test I had to "solve" once trumped everyone with the addition of a blood-pressure device on the list. You wouldn't need that to survive a trek through the desert, would you? The test claimed parts of it can used to protect yourself from exposure to sunlight. I don't believe it for a minute.

Quote:

Guns and gas bottles are useful for propulsion in outer space. On the Moon, it's completely meaningless - you have your legs.

Yes, but a reaction drive could be useful as well. Just not a .45, or the small canister pf CO2 from a raft.
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
January 15th, 2012 at 3:01:51 PM permalink

O2 is already in the case, it gets sealed in there during manufacturing. Granted, there may be imperfections in the neck of some of them that may allow it to escape, but I wouldn't say it would be far fetched for them to work on the moon. I've dropped plenty in water, never had one go bad.

I stand corrected. Google confirms, and I concede that you can fire a gun in vacuum. Still don't think you could use it for propulsion, although, I know so little about guns, it would not surprise me if I was terribly wrong again.
I am assuming a bullet weighs about 10 grams, and id accelerated in the barrel an about 400 meters per second per second.
That means that, even in complete absence of gravity (and therefore, friction) the reaction force would accelerate a 200 pound man at a rate of about 5 centimeters per second per second. I am afraid, you are not likely to get very far with this kind of propulsion.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
Face
Administrator
Face
January 15th, 2012 at 3:18:48 PM permalink
10g is on the VERY low end, I think the standard round is 230 grain which is around 15g. 400m/s is way too high for a .45 though, more like high 200 / low 300's. And is 200lb man earth weight or moon weight?

But I think I agree with you anyway. I haven't fired a .45, but I have fired a .40 and a .44mag. A .45 should be in the middle. I don't see myself scooting around by firing one, even if I weighed as much as my 3 yr old. A drum clipped shotgun, maybe. A drum clipped .577, hell, I could reach orbit.

Maybe the .45 might help me leap a chasm, but it wouldn't be a conveyance
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
January 15th, 2012 at 4:01:53 PM permalink
Nope. Firing a gun on the moon pointing it straight down will not propel the person upwards. There is still the matter of relative mass. You weigh, even on the moon, more than the gun, or the energy that is going to be propelled downwards.
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
January 15th, 2012 at 4:05:27 PM permalink

#5 - FM radio. Communication is important.

Ummmm.....the chances of having sunlight are not the greatest. This is meaningless if the FM is solar powered. Even if you have some sun and are able to transmit, there is no guarantee that it is set to the same channel that anyone will be listening, it won't be repeating. I dislike this tool being solar powered. This question, should have a battery powered FM.

Cool question. Thanks for sharing!
Face
Administrator
Face
January 15th, 2012 at 4:12:52 PM permalink
Quote: YoDiceRoll11

Ummmm.....the chances of having sunlight are not the greatest. This is meaningless if the FM is solar powered. Even if you have some sun and are able to transmit, there is no guarantee that it is set to the same channel that anyone will be listening, it won't be repeating. I dislike this tool being solar powered. This question, should have a battery powered FM.

Cool question. Thanks for sharing!

The question states the mothership is on the lighted side of the moon and you are only 200 miles away. The chances favor you also being on the lighted side of the moon.
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
January 15th, 2012 at 4:21:34 PM permalink

The chances favor you also being on the lighted side of the moon.

What? How? Day and night are two weeks long on the moon. The question doesn't have any location data. But. You know what I forgot is that during the night phase on the moon, there is more reflective light coming from Earth so I suppose the FM radio could work 80% of the time.

But for most survival scenarios, you should assume no contact is available. :)
Face
Administrator
Face
January 15th, 2012 at 4:31:57 PM permalink

What? How? Day and night are two weeks long on the moon. The question doesn't have any location data.

Quote: Original Question

...You were scheduled to rendezvous with a mothership 200 miles away on the lighted surface of the moon

Again, if the mothership is on the lighted and you were only 200 miles away, chances are you'd be on the lighted, too. And since a foot journey of 200 miles should only take a few days and a lunar day is 2 weeks long, you'd probably be in the light for a while, if not the whole journey.
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
January 15th, 2012 at 4:35:29 PM permalink

Quote: Original Question

...You were scheduled to rendezvous with a mothership 200 miles away on the lighted surface of the moon

Again, if the mothership is on the lighted and you were only 200 miles away, chances are you'd be on the lighted, too. And since a foot journey of 200 miles should only take a few days and a lunar day is 2 weeks long, you'd probably be in the light for a while, if not the whole journey.

But how do you know if it is on the lighted side? How do you predict that when you go down that the moon isn't on its night side (even on the "light side") New moon.

So than why couldn't you be in the dark the entire journey???
Face
Administrator
Face
January 15th, 2012 at 4:42:22 PM permalink

But how do you know if it is on the lighted side?

How do I know the mothership is? Because the question says so lol. How do I know I am? I don't. But given the size of the moon and your distance away from the mothership, you are much more likely to be in the light than dark.
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
January 15th, 2012 at 4:45:22 PM permalink

How do I know the mothership is? Because the question says so lol. How do I know I am? I don't. But given the size of the moon and your distance away from the mothership, you are much more likely to be in the light than dark.

Oh, lol. But even if it is on the "lighted" side doesn't mean it is the two week daytime cycle for the "lighted side. So it could be....dark, on the lighted side. Kinda hard to explain with these terms.
Nareed
Nareed
January 15th, 2012 at 4:47:56 PM permalink

It depends where on the Moon you are and what what point in the lunar "day." Where you are matters, because shadowed lunar areas are essentially the same as lunar night. So a mountainous area, or one with deep craters, would present problems.

BTW why a "solar powered heating unit" on the Moon? That's like a water-driven wheel in the desert. During the lunar day, that is to say in sunlight, things get very hot. At night or in shadows it gets very old. But then you don't have sunlight to operate the heating unit. And if you had sunlight, you wouldn't need it because it would be hot.

And yet no spacesuits. It boggles the mind...
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
January 15th, 2012 at 4:49:38 PM permalink
Quote:

Your spaceship has just crash landed on the moon. You were scheduled to rendezvous with a mothership 200 miles away on the lighted surface of the moon

Ok, so we are assuming that it is on the lighted side, and it is the day cycle. If that is the case, than I'm fine with it. The original question is ambiguous because of the wording. Probably because we haven't settled the moon yet and found better terms for "the light side" and the "dark side".

But like I mentioned, the light reflected from the Earth is greater (during the night phase on the moon), so you could probably run solar tools no problem even during the night, so it doesn't even matter anyway.

I think better terms, and more accurate ones, are Earth side of the moon, and the Away side of the moon. Because both experience "light" and "dark" phases. :)
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
January 15th, 2012 at 4:51:09 PM permalink

It depends where on the Moon you are and what what point in the lunar "day." Where you are matters, because shadowed lunar areas are essentially the same as lunar night. So a mountainous area, or one with deep craters, would present problems.

BTW why a "solar powered heating unit" on the Moon? That's like a water-driven wheel in the desert. During the lunar day, that is to say in sunlight, things get very hot. At night or in shadows it gets very old. But then you don't have sunlight to operate the heating unit. And if you had sunlight, you wouldn't need it because it would be hot.

And if you had spacesuits, you wouldn't need to regulate the temperature too much anyway. You would be well insulated.

As I mentioned, even during the night phase, there should still be enough light to power basic solar tools. So there could be some use for a solar powered heating unit.
Nareed
Nareed
January 15th, 2012 at 5:01:40 PM permalink

As I mentioned, even during the night phase, there should still be enough light to power basic solar tools.

In one word: no.

On Earth, the atmosphere scatters sunlight, so there is some even in the shade. You might have enough to power something using solar panels, but not very well. On the airless Moon, however, shadow is about the same as night. Not exactly, because some light is reflected off the surface, creating a glare all over the sunlit side. That's nowhere near enough to provide power to, say, a solar-powered calculator. It would be like trying to power it with starlight, or for that matter with moonlight on Earth.
Face
Administrator
Face
January 15th, 2012 at 5:02:14 PM permalink

This is why I like you =)

I assumed the heating unit had storage capacity.

But it also begs the question, if we don't need A/C for >200F in the light, why would we need a heater for <-200F in the dark?

These are questions I need to figure out in preparation for Life Raft Rocket Races and the .45cal long jump...
Nareed
Nareed
January 15th, 2012 at 5:31:14 PM permalink

But it also begs the question, if we don't need A/C for >200F in the light, why would we need a heater for <-200F in the dark?

How much is that in Celsius? :)

Anyway, at night you can lose heat by radiation and conduction. You wouldn't radiate much, and limiting your contact with the ground not much would be conducted away. But any heat you lose is lost. You'd need a suit with a heater to make up the difference, assuming your own body heat wouldn't be enough to make up for the losses. It might be.

In daylight you gain heat from sunlight, and a little from contact with the ground. A parasol would keep you cool.
Face
Administrator
Face
January 15th, 2012 at 5:41:50 PM permalink

How much is that in Celsius? :)

Anyway, at night you can lose heat by radiation and conduction. You wouldn't radiate much, and limiting your contact with the ground not much would be conducted away. But any heat you lose is lost. You'd need a suit with a heater to make up the difference, assuming your own body heat wouldn't be enough to make up for the losses. It might be.

In daylight you gain heat from sunlight, and a little from contact with the ground. A parasol would keep you cool.

+93C or -129C. Buffalo's practically southern Canada, so I knew this one ;)

Did the astronauts that were actually there have issues? I'd think the space suit was fully self contained, or they at least gained/lost heat at a painfully slow rate.

And a parasol would be fancy, but wouldn't you then be -200F/-129C, even on the lighted side? ;)
  • Jump to: