pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
November 7th, 2011 at 11:18:36 AM permalink
Legend surrounding the Apostle Saint James (the greater) are many. Some say he became a warrior, other had him preaching in Spain. He later returned to Jerusalem, but his bones were returned to Spain after he died. Other legends have his bones were brought to Spain after his death by a mysterious boat piloted by angels.

In any case his bones were lost to history, and then "discovered" in the year 814, at the far Nothwestern corner of Spain. As this location was effectively one of the ends of the earth in the 9th century, his bones became one of the principal destinations of a medieval pilgrimage.

In post WWII the Camino del Santiago has become a popular trek, often by people who are not Catholic, but have some respect for the tradition, and are often seeking spiritual comfort.

The movie "The Way" is a film efforts starring Martin Sheen, and directed by his son Emilio Estevez. Martin Sheen's father was Galician (the NW corner of Spain). Carlos Irwin Estevez who acts under the name Charlie Sheen, was not in the picture. The film focuses on four people in particular, who are taking the trip for different reasons, none of them overtly religious. But they find some catharsis in the rugged month long hike. They also find a friendship despite basically despising each other at the beginning of the film.

The trip has always been fascinating to me. I think you would enjoy the movie, despite it's rather slow pace. It is sort of a white version of the motorcycle diaries with much older people.

At one point they stay in a Spanish Parador. A parador is an inn that the government of Spain permits to operate which is often in a historic building. The historic building is maintained by the profits from the Inn.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
November 7th, 2011 at 11:24:35 AM permalink
A good film in the journey genre that I really enjoyed was The Straight Story. It is about a guy who rides a sitting lawn mower for hundreds of miles to visit his brother. I know, it sounds like an MTV stunt, but it is a true story and quite moving.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
  • Jump to: