boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
October 10th, 2011 at 10:26:47 AM permalink
Disney released The Lion King in 3D a few weeks ago, and my 13 year old daughter and I checked it out down the street here at the Park Lane in Reno yesterday. Having seen the 2D version with my kid many times, we wanted to check out the 3D additions.

The bottom line is that this is a moneygrab. Unfortunately, the 3D effects take away from the storyline in the movie. The graphics are terrible, and there is nothing new in value added. At least in the 2D version, you accept that the movie is from 1994 and it's the story line that's potent, not the graphics.

Avoid it. Don't even bother with the 3D version on DVD.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 10th, 2011 at 10:35:37 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

The bottom line is that this is a moneygrab.

Disney doing a money grab? Really? :)

Quote:

At least in the 2D version, you accept that the movie is from 1994 and it's the story line that's potent, not the graphics.

Disney excells at animation beacuse 1) it does it extremely well, with lots of detail and motion, 2) it tells stories worth telling and makes full sue of the emotional aspects, and 3) it tends to find good music and lyrics to complemetn the story. This is so of both digital and conventional animation, and it goes back to the days of Walt Disney himself.

3D can be used effectively in a movie made for it. Adapting an older movie to 3D won't add much to the movie, especially when the visuals are not as deep (which they tend not to be in cell animation anyway). The original Star Wars movies might do well in 3D, especially if some scenes were reshot for the purpose (effects scenes, naturally), so might the Toy Story movies. But not the two-D, flat drawn classic cell animation movies.

They'd better not try to re-sell "Beauty and the Beast" in 3D.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
  • Jump to: