9 votes (75%)
3 votes (25%)

12 members have voted

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 429
October 8th, 2011 at 1:44:53 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

(who lived during the time of steam wheel boats and featured then in some of his writings).

Mark Twain worked on steamboats and made the
measurement you refer to. He was on the boats
4 years, 2 of them as a pilot. He made $250 a
month, which were tremendous wages in 1859,
its equal to 75K a year in todays money.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Flynn
Flynn
  • Threads: 12
October 8th, 2011 at 1:48:43 PM permalink
Yeah but that's because the USA were British Colonies... :-)
My favorite bet: Double Down!
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 224
October 8th, 2011 at 3:58:36 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Import/export and motorsports is my assumption. If you're going to sell your product to the world, and the world sees size in a different way than you (litres vs cubic inches), it'd behoove you to cater to them. And motorsport is very specific. A "350", depending on the make, is actually anywhere between 348 cu/in to 355 cu/in. That can make a hp difference of up to double digits, which is a big deal. On the other hand, a 5L is a 5L is a 5L.

That reminds me of another reason I wish we'd switch. It's just more acurate, more precise. Why else would tolerences be measured in fractions of meters? Our stuff seems to be made of a jumble of english and metric pieces, depending on where they were made. If all you have is english tools, you strip the hell out of the metric bolts. Ah, but if you have a metric set, you're good to go for both of them. Metric wins.

Just switch it. We're America. We'll bitch and cry and threaten to tear down the world....and in 5 months we'll have forgotten all about it.

I think I asked that in an unclear way. I'm sure it as you say, to sell on the world market and just to standardize things. What I would like to know is why is it "liter" on a pop bottle but "litre" on a car?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
October 8th, 2011 at 4:10:02 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I think I asked that in an unclear way. I'm sure it as you say, to sell on the world market and just to standardize things. What I would like to know is why is it "liter" on a pop bottle but "litre" on a car?

I see. Sounds like a paco question to me. But to take a whack at it, I'd say it's because "liter" is on stuff for us like Pepsi and such, so it is spelled as we spell it. Whereas "litre", as you would find to denote car displacement, which we assume was changed to cater to the world, would likewise be spelled to cater to the world. Just a guess, I actually dont ever remember seeing it spelled "litre", only the abrreviation "L".
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 224
October 8th, 2011 at 4:41:56 PM permalink
Quote: Face

I see. Sounds like a paco question to me. But to take a whack at it, I'd say it's because "liter" is on stuff for us like Pepsi and such, so it is spelled as we spell it. Whereas "litre", as you would find to denote car displacement, which we assume was changed to cater to the world, would likewise be spelled to cater to the world. Just a guess, I actually dont ever remember seeing it spelled "litre", only the abrreviation "L".

It may have been an early 1980s thing but they had it that way on cars. You may be correct and it is like "centre" instead of "center."
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others

• Jump to: