No votes (0%)
9 votes (75%)
3 votes (25%)

12 members have voted

buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
October 7th, 2011 at 8:04:41 PM permalink
Over 50 years ago, when I was in high school, the USA was on the verge of going metric. In culinary arts class, I have discovered
most students can not do simple Math. The recipe was for 24 servings and we were only doing 6. The recipe called for a pint of
sour cream. Even after I volunteered there were 10 ounces in a pint, the majority had the wrong answer. Only by the Chef telling
them to use the calculator, and multiply 16 times .25, was a consensus reached.

The thread on Brit vs American English brought this back to mind. The only things I have seen change to metric standards in the last 50 years are 2 liter plastic soda bottles, 4.3 liter car engines, and the damn metric sockets you have to buy for an American car !

WILL THE USA EVER GO METRIC ???
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 7th, 2011 at 8:06:06 PM permalink
What's the poll question?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
October 7th, 2011 at 8:07:31 PM permalink
How many ounces in a pint of beer?

OK, that's a trick question. At least, if you're sitting in a pub in Oregon.

Because as everyone knows, a pint has 16 ounces. But in bars, taverns, and pubs across our fair state, there are pints that only have 14 ounces.

In fact, most bars serve "cheater pints" with only 14 ounces. And all this time, you've been getting ripped off - getting only 87.5% of the beer you've ordered and paid for.

Am I the only one who thinks EVENBOB is somehow behind this outrage in Oregon ???
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
October 7th, 2011 at 8:08:36 PM permalink
DUHHH Should be when will the USA go metric ???
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
October 7th, 2011 at 8:17:10 PM permalink
A pint is 20 imperial fluid ounces where I come from... you are being short changed even more in Oregon....(568ml in a UK pint, something less in a wimpy US pint).

Same way the US gallon is 5/6ths of a UK gallon. And the petrol is about 19/20ths as strong in terms of octane...
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
I808
I808
  • Threads: 0
October 7th, 2011 at 8:53:57 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

The thread on Brit vs American English brought this back to mind. The only things I have seen change to metric standards in the last 50 years are 2 liter plastic soda bottles, 4.3 liter car engines, and the damn metric sockets you have to buy for an American car !

WILL THE USA EVER GO METRIC ???

Tires are combination of metric and imperial.
Like they say in the marijuana industry "Sometimes you gotta roll your own!" (At the craps table that is)
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 7th, 2011 at 8:58:32 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

DUHHH Should be when will the USA go metric ???

Hopefully not as long as it took Europe to change from Roman numerals to Hindu-Arabic ones.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
October 7th, 2011 at 9:10:30 PM permalink
The USA is the only major country that has retained a non-metric system (the other two countries are Liberia and Burma).
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
October 7th, 2011 at 9:12:15 PM permalink
And of course we all know this :
One of the measures in the USA Measurement System is the Mark Twain. It is defined as the minimum safe clearance for steam wheel boats and is set to 2 fathoms. This was subsequently used as the pen name of the famous American writer (who lived during the time of steam wheel boats and featured then in some of his writings).
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
October 7th, 2011 at 9:15:53 PM permalink
I say never, but I wish it was yesterday. I love my jap bikes 'cause everything's simple, it's just intuitive. Then you do some carpentry and everything's all kattywampus. Being close to Canada and sometimes entering the lovely place, you gotta remember all manner of nonsense, like kph/mph is 8/5, and temp*1.8+32 is how hot it is. Just switch it already. Tell the ladies they'll instantly drop the number that represents their weight and you'll have half the populations support.

Though I imagine if "change" is suggested to the gov, we'll be back to using stone and rod just so they could stick it to us.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.

• Jump to: