Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
September 19th, 2011 at 7:29:40 AM permalink
Almost all NFL seasons show an odd trend or mini-trend. Sometims it's a large number of head coaches getting fired, sometimes the fall of a winning team, things like that.

This year you can see the bare beginning of a reversal trend. The Colts have started 0-2, entirely due to losing Peyton Manning for an indefinite length of time (and it's looking like it's permanent). Next the Lions are 2-0, due to.... well, something, I expect.

Here's how it should play out:

No matter how many games the Colts lose, they won't be branded as doormats until 10 games have gone by and their record is less than 5-5

No matter how many games the Lions win, they won't be branded as winners until the season's over and we see the team from Detroit walk away with the Lombardi trophy (stranger thigns have happened, namely the Saints doing just that). And even then punidts will talk about their having an easy schedule.

I call this last the AFLperception effect. Even after the Jets beat the Colts in SB III, pundits still saw the AFL as the weak, retarded and lesser league.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
September 26th, 2011 at 5:55:27 AM permalink
What's odd is there are four undefeated teams. Of those, I had two down as losers ( Bills, Redskins) and one as up coming (Lions). The Pack I'm not surprised about, and to be fair to New Orleans, they did only lose to the class act. And Skins have to play the Cowboys tonight....

Three games is too early to say for sure on trends though. A few years back, the Lions started 4-0 and went to 6-2, failing to get even close to the play offs as everyone worked out the Mike Martz offense had no run threat. I tend to start seeing patterns at week four. Slow starting teams can turn it around, and those with a fast start have their game film watched, analyzed and weaknesses found.... Which is why defense wins championships, if they can adapt well to their opponents, you only need an average (but competent) offense.

The Lions do have a good schedule this year (apart from their divisional games), but I still expect the wheels to come off some time...

Still, any week Brady throws four picks is a good week...
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
thecesspit
thecesspit
September 26th, 2011 at 6:00:05 AM permalink
I lied it wasn't a four win streak to start 2007... Might have been 4-2. I do recall the history were firmly in the Lions favor to make the playoffs....
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
September 26th, 2011 at 2:51:54 PM permalink
one oddity down: there hadnt been a score of 13 to 8 in the NFL till this last game 49ers vs Cincinnati.

Obviously 13 has been scored plenty. '8' not so much.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
September 26th, 2011 at 3:27:28 PM permalink
Net pass yards Sid Lucman138 Sammy Baugh 226

Mobile Site You Are Here > Home > Boxscores > Chicago Bears at Washington Redskins - December 8th, 1940

Week 12
1940 gms
Bears 73
@Redskins 0
Chicago Bears 73 at Washington Redskins 0
Sunday, December 8, 1940
1 2 3 4 OT Final
Chicago Bears (9-3-0) 21 7 26 19 0 73
Washington Redskins (9-3-0) 0 0 0 0 0 0

A conference championship game , no less. And each team had 17 first down.
Nareed
Nareed
September 26th, 2011 at 4:39:40 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

A conference championship game , no less. And each team had 17 first down.

Did you enjoy the game? she asked innocently...
Nareed
Nareed
September 26th, 2011 at 4:48:54 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

What's odd is there are four undefeated teams. Of those, I had two down as losers ( Bills, Redskins)

Okay.

Quote:

and one as up coming (Lions).

I'm sorry, what? The Lions? The Detroit Lions? The only team to go 0-16 in one season? Up and coming? Did you fall off a parallel universe? Did I fall inot a parallel universe?

I'd rather believe in football myths, like "Some teams will NEVER win the Superbowl" and "Some teams will ALWAYS be losers."

The Lions? Really?

Quote:

The Lions do have a good schedule this year (apart from their divisional games), but I still expect the wheels to come off some time...

Me, too, as you may have gathered from the paragraphs above. But you never know. New Orleans did win, and so did the younger Manning brother

Quote:

Still, any week Brady throws four picks is a good week...

I like Brady. I also have a tremendous respect for Bill Bellichick. It's just the Patriots I can't stand.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
September 26th, 2011 at 4:51:09 PM permalink
Yes I did. Saw it thru the bars of my crib. OOPS no TV then. Busted again. LOL
Nareed
Nareed
September 26th, 2011 at 4:52:51 PM permalink

Yes I did. Saw it thru the bars of my crib. OOPS no TV then. Busted again. LOL

And no day care at the stadium, I assume.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
September 26th, 2011 at 4:57:01 PM permalink
Mom was afraid it might rain, and the stadium had no roof. Ant they played on real grass. Silly players!
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
September 26th, 2011 at 5:03:23 PM permalink
I like Brady. I also have a tremendous respect for Bill Bellichick. It's just the Patriots I can't stand.

Reverse Bill and the Patriot and I agree. What a lousy cheater !
Nareed
Nareed
September 26th, 2011 at 5:08:40 PM permalink

Mom was afraid it might rain, and the stadium had no roof. Ant they played on real grass. Silly players!

There was a war on, too. Don't forget that.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
September 26th, 2011 at 5:13:59 PM permalink
Wow Thanks. Now I know why Daddy was not around!
vert1276
vert1276
  • Threads: 70
September 26th, 2011 at 5:25:15 PM permalink

I lied it wasn't a four win streak to start 2007... Might have been 4-2. I do recall the history were firmly in the Lions favor to make the playoffs....

Ya the Lions have not started 3-0 since 1980 LOL.......
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
September 26th, 2011 at 5:27:46 PM permalink
Watch out Christians. Here come the LIONS !
thecesspit
thecesspit
September 27th, 2011 at 4:13:28 AM permalink
Quote: vert1276

Ya the Lions have not started 3-0 since 1980 LOL.......

What's to laugh about? They were shit for the last decade. I know, I've sat through more Lions games than most. They've wine ONE play off game sine the super bowl started. They went zero and sixteen. They've the lousiest ten year record, and set multiple win less streaks ( in division, awY and at home).

They were laughable.

This year, they aren't. They may not be great, but the shitty Matt Millen/Mike Martz/Marenelli team of three seasons ago s hardly recognizable in the team today.

Plus they have the Megatron. The guy is a freak, a tight end body with receiver speed. If he doesn't get injured, he's a hall of gamer, whether he stays in the Honolulu Blue, or goes to a team that does not have such a history of failure.

In the end, the NFL is all about how good you are this season. Last year matters for nothing. Last -game- barely matters.
Nareed
Nareed
September 28th, 2011 at 7:42:56 AM permalink

In the end, the NFL is all about how good you are this season. Last year matters for nothing. Last -game- barely matters.

Not quite. Many teams uphold old traditions, either peculiar to them or widely held in the league. To be sure it doens't matter if you made the Super Bowl last season, if this season you're 0 and 6. And that's what you meant.

In many ways the NFL, which cahnges the rules every year, is very conservative. Nothing illustrates this better than the hand signals by the officials. Some, like the circular arm motion to keep the clock running, or the TD signal, are still useful. They let the fans, players, score-keepers and time-keepers what's going on. But the signals the referee uses to indicate penalties are obsolete. They date to a time when the refs didn't have a microphone, and had to use signals to indicate to the fans, and the players, what penalty had been marked and the result.

These days the ref usually makes the anouncment verbally along with the signals. In earlier times he'd make the anouncement with signals, move the ball if required, then report verbally while repeating the signals. But the signals themsleves are no longer necessary.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
September 28th, 2011 at 9:17:38 AM permalink
Maybe someday the NFL will have the recklessness and officiating that soccer is world famous for !!
Nareed
Nareed
October 3rd, 2011 at 10:27:57 AM permalink
The NFL officially stopped making sense yesterday. I can buy Buffallo unexpectedly on a winning streak, but not losing to Cincinnati. Likewise the Lions beating Dallas, but not Dallas giving the game away when they had a significant lead.

I think the lock down affected things a lot more than it seems. It's as good an explanation as any. In any case I'm done trying to find trends or winning teams. Except for the Packers staying up and the Steelers doing their best to get the first choice in the next draft, I see nothing clearly.
thecesspit
thecesspit
October 4th, 2011 at 6:21:13 PM permalink
Quote:

In many ways the NFL, which cahnges the rules every year, is very conservative. Nothing illustrates this better than the hand signals by the officials. Some, like the circular arm motion to keep the clock running, or the TD signal, are still useful. They let the fans, players, score-keepers and time-keepers what's going on. But the signals the referee uses to indicate penalties are obsolete. They date to a time when the refs didn't have a microphone, and had to use signals to indicate to the fans, and the players, what penalty had been marked and the result.

These days the ref usually makes the anouncment verbally along with the signals. In earlier times he'd make the anouncement with signals, move the ball if required, then report verbally while repeating the signals. But the signals themsleves are no longer necessary.

How many live games have you seen? The hand signals are very useful to me when I can't hear the PA clearly in the stadium.

As for the Steelers... they won't even get close to the number one pick...
Nareed
Nareed
October 4th, 2011 at 6:30:28 PM permalink

How many live games have you seen?

One. Dolphins vs Seahawks at the Orange Bowl. It was a playoff game, too. I forget whether it was 1984 or 1983. We sat behind an end zone, where the players go in and out of the field, and got to see three TDs close up.

Quote:

The hand signals are very useful to me when I can't hear the PA clearly in the stadium.

Mostly I couldn't make out the referee fromw here I sat. The PA worked just fine.

Quote:

As for the Steelers... they won't even get close to the number one pick...

Maybe not, but it wont' be for lack of trying. It will be beacuse the Colts or Rams wanted it more.
NandB
NandB
  • Threads: 8
October 4th, 2011 at 9:37:13 PM permalink
So I gotta ask after the 'Boys debacle... did Detroit just set a record for comebacks in two consecutive games? (44 points)

N&B
To err is human. To air is Jordan. To arrr is pirate.
thecesspit
thecesspit
October 5th, 2011 at 4:18:22 PM permalink
Quote: NandB

So I gotta ask after the 'Boys debacle... did Detroit just set a record for comebacks in two consecutive games? (44 points)

N&B

I'm sure it must be, as 20 point comebacks are rarer than Lion's winning seasons.
Nareed
Nareed
October 10th, 2011 at 7:54:30 AM permalink
I think I said this before: I've given up trying to come up with trends this season. If anythign seems all teams are being consistently inconsistent.

Take the Steelers (please!). One week they're bumbling about the field, the next they dominate the game from beginning to end. I know they made changes to the O-line, but they do that all the time. Besides, they lost James Harrison at the defense, yet the defense palyed better than they had in a while.

What gives?

Oh, well, if that's our problem we should worry. :)
  • Jump to: