Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
September 6th, 2011 at 7:52:37 AM permalink
Finally it's here. Well, in two days.

I'm hazzarding two predictions:

1) The Colts will have a terrible year plagued with Peyton Manning problems
2) The Packers won't repeat as NFC champions. This is based on that worst of all gambler's vices: memory. But no NFC team has repeated a conference championship in over ten years.

And while of course I'd love to see the Steelers win the Superbowl, I don't think they will this year. No particular reason to say this, just a vague, pervasive feeling. They'll be too depressed from their dismal loss last year against the Packers. Perhaps they feel they can beat Seattle or Arizona at the Big Game, but not a real football team like the Packers. And they still lack a good offensive line and a first-class running back, which are the essentials of Steeler Football.

The big AFC question is: will the Jets remain the Jets, or will they reach the Super Bowl for a change?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
September 6th, 2011 at 9:45:51 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

2) The Packers won't repeat as NFC champions. This is based on that worst of all gambler's vices: memory. But no NFC team has repeated a conference championship in over ten years.

Erm... ten years is nothing... the last back-to-back NFC champs... your 97/98 Green Bay Packers....

Just saying.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
September 8th, 2011 at 8:05:37 AM permalink
There are two things, it seems, one can count on regarding the NFL 1) The Detroit Lions will have a bad season and 2) No team will ever play the Super Bowl at home.

The second is not necessarily so, it just hasn't happened. It's a wonder it dind't happen in the 70s, when Miami went to 3 Super Bowls and several were played in Miami; they just didn't coincide.

This year looked good for breaking the spell. The Super Bowl will be played at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, and the local team is an AFC power. I'm willing to bet, though, that it won't happen, because of the simple fact that Peyton manning won't play several games this year, has not played any preseason games, and will be rusty and out of sorts when/if he finally does play.

On the other hand, the Jets and Giants in New Yok (New Jersey?) built their new stadium in a cold weather area wide open to the elements (and good for them), yet the NFL awarded a Super Bowl there. This may mean future championship games will be played in other cold weather cities. We'll see.
Nareed
Nareed
September 20th, 2011 at 7:36:50 AM permalink
The big news from last week is thet Tony Romo returned to play after suffering a broken rib (not serious) and a collapsed lung (very serious). I'm amazed that either the team doctors didn't notice the problem (I'm told any half-competent med student could tell at once by listening to the patient's breathing), or allowed him back in the game.

Michael Vick suffered a concussion. That's getting more attention because head injuries are finally being recognized as a league problem and because it's Michael Vick, dog killer. I'm not one to revel in other peole's misfortune, but it's hard to feel any sympathy for Vick.

Oh, and the Steelers walked all over the Seahwaks. Definitely not even close to being the team that lost Super Bowl XL. OK, honestly 24 points is hardly a beating, but a shut-out is.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
September 20th, 2011 at 4:27:36 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

The big news from last week is thet Tony Romo returned to play after suffering a broken rib (not serious) and a collapsed lung (very serious). I'm amazed that either the team doctors didn't notice the problem (I'm told any half-competent med student could tell at once by listening to the patient's breathing), or allowed him back in the game.

Michael Vick suffered a concussion. That's getting more attention because head injuries are finally being recognized as a league problem and because it's Michael Vick, dog killer. I'm not one to revel in other peole's misfortune, but it's hard to feel any sympathy for Vick.

Oh, and the Steelers walked all over the Seahwaks. Definitely not even close to being the team that lost Super Bowl XL. OK, honestly 24 points is hardly a beating, but a shut-out is.

The Seahawks couldn't score in a brothel against any sort organized defense.

I'm not sure if they or the Cheifs are going to hit bottom first.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
  • Jump to: