1 vote (7.69%)
7 votes (53.84%)
5 votes (38.46%)

13 members have voted

reno
reno
  • Threads: 124
August 31st, 2011 at 9:23:37 PM permalink
Bravo to Florida state Rep Ritch Workman (R-Melbourne) who's attempting to repeal an archaic state law from the 1800s which classifies cohabitation as a second degree misdemeanor punishable with a $500 fine or 60 days in jail. Workman is a Republican who believes that prosecuting unwed couples is a waste of taxpayer money and law enforcement resources. But he faces strong opposition from conservative politicians in his own party like state Rep Dennis Baxley (R-Ocala) who believe that enforcing this ancient law protects the sanctity of marriage. (Personally, my wife and I are glad we lived together before we were engaged, because it helped us prepare for marriage. But I'm sure Mr. Baxley could explain to us the error of our ways.)

According to the 2010 census there are 1,089,814 Floridians living in sin, and in the last year 104 of them have been arrested under the statute, so there's only 1,089,710 to go!
Toes14
Toes14
  • Threads: 18
August 31st, 2011 at 9:39:34 PM permalink
I've always thought the government should stay out of your bedroom, kitchen, living room, the entire house, and your land too. (Unless it contains Dioxin or something)
"Bite my Glorious Golden Ass!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
August 31st, 2011 at 10:26:33 PM permalink
798.01 Living in open adultery.
Whoever lives in an open state of adultery shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. Where either of the parties living in an open state of adultery is married, both parties so living shall be deemed to be guilty of the offense provided for in this section

798.02: Lewd and lascivious behavior.
If any man and woman, not being married to each other, lewdly and lasciviously associate and cohabit together, or if any man or woman, married or unmarried, engages in open and gross lewdness and lascivious behavior, they shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

I can't find any reliable stats on arrests, except that there have been some.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1493
August 31st, 2011 at 10:41:26 PM permalink
There are lots of arcane laws on the books that are just not enforced. Sometimes humor sites have lists of them. For example, I think a single woman is not allowed to play chess in Kentucky in a sheer nightgown. This, by the way, is one reason that Kentucky is one of only three states I have never set foot in.

I'm not a lawyer, but I think that "selective prosecution" is a legitimate defense against any crime. In other words, law enforcement can't pick someone arbitrarily to arrest for breaking a law that is commonly broken by the general population. I would think these 104 would use that defense unless there were some other circumstances making their case different.

Again, I'm not saying the OP is poster is wrong, just asking for a source.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
August 31st, 2011 at 10:56:35 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I'm sure the Tea Party would like to get the rest of them

Who is the Tea Party, exactly? Where are they located, who is
their leader? I heard the other day the Tea Party is an idea,
a concept. And therefore is very dangerous indeed..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
August 31st, 2011 at 11:05:03 PM permalink
On a related Wizard of Vegas note, also:

In Massachusetts:
Chapter 272, Section 36. Whoever wilfully blasphemes the holy name of God by denying, cursing or contumeliously reproaching God, his creation, government or final judging of the world, or by cursing or contumeliously reproaching Jesus Christ or the Holy Ghost, or by cursing or contumeliously reproaching or exposing to contempt and ridicule, the holy word of God contained in the holy scriptures shall be punished by imprisonment in jail for not more than one year or by a fine of not more than three hundred dollars, and may also be bound to good behavior.

direct link here

So Wizard, let's hope that your servers are located outside of the Commonwealth of Massechusetts!!! I'm making a citizen's arrest!!!!
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1493
September 1st, 2011 at 7:38:52 AM permalink
Sorry to get us off topic about the Tea Party position on living in sin. I moved those posts to The Tea Party Position on Cohabitation.

Quote: boymimbo

In Massachusetts: Chapter 272, Section 36. Whoever wilfully blasphemes the holy name of God by denying, cursing or contumeliously reproaching God, his creation, government or final judging of the world, or by cursing or contumeliously reproaching Jesus Christ or the Holy Ghost ...

I think the servers are in California, fortunately. Doesn't the bible say that the only unforgivable sin is blasphemy of the Holy Ghost? Therefore, I think the penalty for that should be harsher than that for blasphemy of the other two legs of the trinity.

At the risk of getting us off topic again, that statute (and thanks for the link) says "Whoever wilfully blasphemes the holy name of God..." My question is what IS the holy name of God? How can I be expected to obey the law when they don't tell me the name I can't blaspheme?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
  • Jump to: