No votes (0%)
2 votes (100%)
No votes (0%)

2 members have voted

pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
August 20th, 2011 at 10:23:02 AM permalink
A few years ago JetBlue’s $599 All-You-Can-Jet Pass, for 31 days (includes domestic taxes: international flight taxes additional at roughly $120 or so round-trip),

The three-day advance purchase rule is a plus, since usually the cheapest fares must be bought 7, 14, or 21 days ahead. Another excellent part is that you can make changes to your flights after booking without penalty, as long as you do so three days in advance.

This would appeal to people living near the hubs at New York JFK or Boston airport. JFK has about 10-12 cities on their route that you can go to for a day trip, but they are normally considered industrial cities like Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Burlington. But the pass would almost certainly save you money if you went on only 4 trips.

--------------------------
Hypothetically, Southwest could offer such a pass. The disadvantage is that Hawaii and international destinations are not currently on their schedule. From Vegas there are 9 California airports, 2 in Arizona, 1 in Utah, + Reno that can easily be done as day trips, and a total of 55 non-stop destinations.

The following 16 destinations have 5-13 nonstops per day.
Phoenix, AZ, US
San Diego, CA, US
Los Angeles, CA, US
Burbank, CA, US
Reno, NV, US
Chicago-Midway, IL, US
Denver, CO, US
Oakland, CA, US
San Jose, CA, US
Sacramento, CA, US
Ontario, CA, US
Orange County, CA, US
San Francisco, CA, US
Salt Lake City, UT, US
Albuquerque, NM, US
Seattle/Tacoma, WA, US

What would be your reaction to such an offer? Theoretically you could fly to Vegas every weekend for $599. If you were budget conscious you could take Monday off every week and use the inexpensive Sunday night as your hotel night.

I doubt that Southwest would meet Jet Blue's price. There are just too many short flights that people could take (although the businessman frequently flying back and forth from JFK to Boston would find it very cost effective).
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
August 20th, 2011 at 10:33:05 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

What would be your reaction to such an offer?

Shades of an extremely dumb similar offer by the late but unalemnted Air Florida about three or four decades ago.
heather
heather
  • Threads: 8
August 20th, 2011 at 10:35:51 AM permalink
They've been running some pretty good promotions lately. I got an email the other day offering $39 one-way domestic airfare if you booked that day. Tempting, but I've probably got about a million TrueBlue points, so I usually end up getting pretty good discounts as it is.
  • Jump to: