AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
  • Threads: 240
August 5th, 2011 at 7:40:30 PM permalink
The policies of the current administration have come home to roost. The US Government had its debt downgraded from AAA just hours ago. But here is the qustion for the board.

So, what can be AAA now? Lets say Steve Jobs or Steve Wynn both pay all their debts on time. If they pay and the USA doesn't, what good it that? The economy will collapse.

Can anything be AAA for now?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
August 5th, 2011 at 8:47:51 PM permalink
Nothing is triple-A, AAA. Gambling runs deep and also high up.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
matilda
matilda
  • Threads: 3
August 5th, 2011 at 9:24:19 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Can anything be AAA for now?

Yes, except for the US.

odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
August 6th, 2011 at 3:53:02 AM permalink
I missed the news. They warned us. Wow.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
August 6th, 2011 at 4:14:25 AM permalink
Because I am psychic, I predict the stock market will be down more by close of Monday. It's hard to believe I won't be right about that.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
August 6th, 2011 at 4:16:25 AM permalink
I don't know -- on second thought, it could have a tremendous bargain buying pushing it up again at the end of the day.

I predict it will be volatile. (Heh)
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
August 6th, 2011 at 5:07:07 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I don't know -- on second thought, it could have a tremendous bargain buying pushing it up again at the end of the day.

I predict those watching CNBC in trading rooms will miss Street-Sweetie Erin Burnett reporting.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
August 6th, 2011 at 8:40:07 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I predict those watching CNBC in trading rooms will miss Street-Sweetie Erin Burnett reporting.

My office switched to Bloomberg News when she left:)
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
August 6th, 2011 at 8:43:12 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I predict 2 things:

*QE3 very soon ... try to take some profits from what will probably be a positive reaction

*volatility until October, then a Bull market, or at least more Bulls than Bears
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
August 7th, 2011 at 6:31:12 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

My office switched to Bloomberg News when she left:)

I worked with a girl (a journalism major named Erin of all things!) and said she was leaving or had left. She wondered why. Told her that apparantly Burnett didn't want to be a pure business-news reporter, it was just that she was very good at it. If Burnett stayed much longer she would not have been able to cover general news since she was getting typecast and both a business-reporter and "Maria's little sister."
matilda
matilda
August 7th, 2011 at 8:04:10 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

*volatility until October, then a Bull market, or at least more Bulls than Bears

October is a very dangerous month for the market. You might want to take some off the table before then.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
August 7th, 2011 at 8:09:16 AM permalink
Quote: matilda

October is a very dangerous month for the market. You might want to take some off the table before then.

Agree, better watch your step. But is that really proven?

I am happy to say I rebalanced for cash and bonds in April. Looking for buying opps now.
matilda
matilda
August 7th, 2011 at 8:29:50 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Agree, better watch your step. But is that really proven?

I can prove it--but then I am a statistician so I can prove anything. LOL
  • Jump to: