OneAngryDwarf
OneAngryDwarf
  • Threads: 44
July 23rd, 2011 at 10:27:28 AM permalink
Not totally unexpected, but still sad. She joins the '27 club' alongside Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, and Jimi Hendrix.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/07/23/amy.winehouse.dies/
"I believe I've passed the age/of consciousness and righteous rage/I've found that just surviving was a noble fight... I once believed in causes too/I had my pointless point of view/And life went on no matter who was wrong or right..." --Billy Joel
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
July 23rd, 2011 at 10:31:00 AM permalink
So SAD. Can anyone name the 2 singers, one male and one female, both dead before 1972, and the only million selling songs were after their deaths ?
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
July 23rd, 2011 at 10:41:52 AM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

So SAD. Can anyone name the 2 singers, one male and one female, both dead before 1972, and the only million selling songs were after their deaths ?

Without Googling, I'm going to go with Janice Joplin and the Girl's side and Buddy Holly on the Guy's side.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
July 23rd, 2011 at 11:25:50 AM permalink
Janis Joplin Me and Bobby Mcgee Otis Redding Sitting on the dock of the bay

Feel guilty doing trivia under the circumstances.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
July 23rd, 2011 at 12:14:57 PM permalink
An expected ending to an unexpected talent.

Obviously she was too weak to handle her fame.

Unique, but not a first rate talent.

I'm bettting she OD'd.

Meh.
"What, me worry?"
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
July 23rd, 2011 at 12:17:34 PM permalink
Seems like a safe bet. Talented or not, what a sad ending to a life that had hardly got started. We all have addictions,
the luckiest of us have non-harmful addictions.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
July 23rd, 2011 at 12:18:46 PM permalink
Don't know even one song she did, I'm just not hip I guess. I do know I sat near a woman had her pic as her desktop on her PC and asked about it. Shetold me who it was and how much she liked her singing. The woman had a personal life a total disaster, I wonder if she saw herself?

OAD, you back stateside?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 110
July 23rd, 2011 at 12:33:51 PM permalink
So sad.

Quote: AZDuffman

Don't know even one song she did, I'm just not hip I guess.

Well, ironically, in one of her top hits, if not in her number one hit, she sings, "Tried to make me go to rehab, I said no...no...no..."

She was shown recently on TMZ stumbling on stage super super intoxicated. This was like a week or two ago.

I hate to say this but it just makes me think that Whitney Houston is not far behind.
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 213
July 23rd, 2011 at 2:36:28 PM permalink
Quote: HotBlonde

Well, ironically, in one of her top hits, if not in her number one hit, she sings, "Tried to make me go to rehab, I said no...no...no..."

I wasn't sure I knew any of her songs either, but I've heard this one and liked it.

Sad that she didn't find the help she needed.
All around me are familiar faces / Worn out places, worn out faces / Bright and early for their daily races / Going nowhere, going nowhere - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdCLnwIkkps
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
July 23rd, 2011 at 3:04:47 PM permalink
Quote: HotBlonde

So sad.

She was shown recently on TMZ stumbling on stage super super intoxicated. This was like a week or two ago.

I hate to say this but it just makes me think that Whitney Houston is not far behind.

I asked a buddy of mine if it was just me or do you sort of have to have at least half a disaster of a life to be a music star.

Don't know much on Whitney but to get hooked on crack, a cheapo drug, when you are making millions makes me think the personality traits of an addict and artist are connected. I have read Whitney is a royal pain in real life. Article was about limo drivers and the one guy said he refused to drive here as, "they weren't offering enough money because there isn't enough money." Said when they tried to book her that no limo driver ever wanted to do it.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others

• Jump to: