Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 14th, 2011 at 10:24:07 PM permalink
This week, a few days ago, marked one Neptunian year since Neptune was first discovered.

Funny note, a free newspaper I get sometimes claimed it was discovered by William Herschel <g>
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
July 15th, 2011 at 12:19:03 AM permalink
Geek stat of the decade. Way to go Nareed.

I'm sorry I missed it, as it will be 67 earth years for the first anniversary of Pluto. Unless something radical happens, I won't be here.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
July 15th, 2011 at 12:31:29 AM permalink
What was Neptune called before we found it?
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Nareed
Nareed
July 15th, 2011 at 6:42:24 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Geek stat of the decade. Way to go Nareed.

Seriously? Back in the day people were expected to know these things. Now it seems scientific illiteracy is a fad.

Quote:

I'm sorry I missed it, as it will be 67 earth years for the first anniversary of Pluto. Unless something radical happens, I won't be here.

Well, Pluto's not supposed to be a planet enymore, but a mere trans-Neptunian object.

But according to my reading, the orbital anomalies detected in Neptune's orbit, which led to the discovery of Pluto, are not acounted for by Pluto's gravitational influence (it is a rather small, sad specimen, after all). So who knows? There may be a real ninth planet hiding there somewhere. I woulnd't bet on it, but then in the late XIX century I would have bet ont he existence of Vulcan, orbiting the Sun closer than Mercury. Naturally I'd have lost, but the real explanation for the peculiarities in mercury's orbit was more fantastic than a mere superheated planet.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
July 15th, 2011 at 7:08:16 AM permalink
If this sort of thing interests you, Nareed, you should definitely see Seasons 1 and 2 of "The Universe" that the history channel put out. You can get dvd copies pretty cheap on Ebay.

Based on seeing season 2, I have a hunch seasons 3 and 4 may not be worth it. The first two, definitely worth seeing.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Nareed
Nareed
July 15th, 2011 at 7:15:25 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

If this sort of thing interests you, Nareed, you should definitely see Seasons 1 and 2 of "The Universe" that the history channel put out. You can get dvd copies pretty cheap on Ebay.

I saw them until I switched from satellite TV to cable. Sat TV had the History Channel with audio option in english, cable only has it dubbed. I think I ought to switch back. Cable also has the Syfy channel dubbed.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
July 15th, 2011 at 10:07:32 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Seriously? Back in the day people were expected to know these things. Now it seems scientific illiteracy is a fad.

I don't think I am scientifically illiterate, and I knew that Neptune had an orbit measured in hundreds of years, but to know that an oribt is 60,190 days is not common knowledge.

It's surprising how many people don't know what causes the seasons.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
July 15th, 2011 at 10:41:27 AM permalink
deleted
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Nareed
Nareed
July 15th, 2011 at 10:53:44 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I don't think I am scientifically illiterate,

My apologies. I didn't mean to imply you were, but that all too many people are.

Quote:

and I knew that Neptune had an orbit measured in hundreds of years, but to know that an oribt is 60,190 days is not common knowledge.

No, it isn't. Actually I knew neptune had an orbit of "somewhat over 150 years." Who cares about Neptune? But my 4th grade natural sciences teacher would have expected her students to know neptune has an orbit that takes up over 100 Earth years. These days it seems teachers no longer expect their students to know any astronomy at all.

Quote:

It's surprising how many people don't know what causes the seasons.

Man. That's the answer to everything bad these days, isn't it? :P As the weather changes throughout the year, that's climate change (formerly known as global warming), and that's bad. So it's all Man's fault.
  • Jump to: