Thread Rating:

jmills
jmills
  • Threads: 8
January 21st, 2020 at 11:08:41 AM permalink
Uncut Gems was fantastic. Best depiction of a degenerate gambler since Owning Mahoney.
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
January 21st, 2020 at 12:04:01 PM permalink
I watched this a couple of weeks ago - it was a good escape for 90 minutes (definitely not Oscar worthy lol)

TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 21
January 21st, 2020 at 1:11:39 PM permalink
I can't stand Adam Sandler. He's one of my most hated actors. The godawful comedy schtick he did back in the 90's just totally ruined him for me.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 424
January 21st, 2020 at 1:26:50 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

I can't stand Adam Sandler. He's one of my most hated actors. The godawful comedy schtick he did back in the 90's just totally ruined him for me.

Anger Management with Jack Nicholson
is good, I've seen it 3 times. Reign Over
Me was good, so was Punch Drunk Love.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 13
January 21st, 2020 at 1:36:37 PM permalink

This is supposed to to Adam Sandler what Pulp Fiction was to Travolta. Google Adam Sandler Oscar snub. Plenty of people thought he should be nominated for this role.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
  • Threads: 55
January 21st, 2020 at 1:52:45 PM permalink
Although it was a documentary rather than a movie, the three part documentary on Showtine last year called "Action" featuring the world of sports betting should receive some points.
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
January 21st, 2020 at 1:55:16 PM permalink
Quote: Vegasrider

Although it was a documentary rather than a movie, the three part documentary on Showtine last year called "Action" featuring the world of sports betting should receive some points.

Oh yeah I hope they bring it back fro another season
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1336
January 27th, 2020 at 1:48:27 PM permalink
Quote: jmills

Uncut Gems was fantastic. Best depiction of a degenerate gambler since Owning Mahoney.

I just saw Uncut Gems yesterday.

Let me start by saying that the movie isn't for everybody. It's dark, uses the F word hundreds of times, at times violent, does not have a strong plot, and does not have anything positive to say about anybody or anything. One might comparisons to Joker in that respect.

However, I also thought it was fantastic. I like dark movies like Taxi Driver and Scarface -- don't ask me why.

Like Owning Mahoney, the movie is about a compulsive gambler who is deep in debt, yet continues to movie money around, robbing Peter to pay Paul, in hopes of a big score. In this case, the movie centers around a small-time jeweler, Howard Ratner, in New York who gets a hold of a opal-laden rock from Ethiopia, shows it to an NBA player, Kevin Garnett, who is attracted to it like Gollum to the Ring of Mordor. Given it's perceived power, Garnett plays better basketball, which Ratner bets into. Meanwhile, Ratner is trying to maintain a somewhat normal life with his wife, kids, and mistress. That is about as far as I'll take it.

Dislike of Adam Sandler or his movies should not be a reason not to see it. I didn't care for Adam Sandler either before this movie. The only movie of his I could make it through previously was 100 First Dates and even that I could go without seeing twice. However, this movie shows a completely different side of him. This will likely be the movie he is remembered by. Somebody else compared this role to John Travolta's in Pulp Fiction, which is a good way to put it.

I have to take issue with some of the unrealistic gambling scenes. The movie shows the main character making incredibly correlated parlay bets, like the winner of the first half to winner of the entire game, in the NBA. At the risk of a spoiler, the movie shows the Mohegan Sun taking an over-the-counter all-cash 3-leg parlay bet for about $120,000 that was extremely correlated. That aspect was just ridiculous, but did fit into the characters needs to get roughly 10 to 1 odds on a bet.

In conclusion, despite the unrealistic bets that were being accepted, I recommend Uncut Gems. I'll give it an 8+ on the 0 to 10 scale.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 21
January 27th, 2020 at 3:42:03 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

However, I also thought it was fantastic. I like dark movies like Taxi Driver and Scarface -- don't ask me why.

I do too. I'll give this one a shot if it hits a streaming platform I subscribe to. Maybe it will change my opinion of Sandler.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1336
January 27th, 2020 at 5:03:20 PM permalink

Maybe it will change my opinion of Sandler.

It can't help but do that, whether you like the movie or not.

It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.

• Jump to: