pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
March 28th, 2011 at 9:32:25 PM permalink
Streamy Award have been given to the best web television in the last two years. It was something I missed.

I am surprised that this website has so many broken links.

The new web series with John Hurt and Kiefer Sutherland is pretty intense. It seems much better than web TV that I've seen in the past.

Why doesn't TV broadcast on the web? I don't understand why they make the distinction anymore.
Wavy70
Wavy70
  • Threads: 15
March 28th, 2011 at 10:21:31 PM permalink
Money is the key. A net connection is about $20 but I am paying over $100 for cable TV.
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
March 28th, 2011 at 10:35:44 PM permalink
What does it take to get as good as cable TV on the computer? Is it the broadband speed, video card, processor speed? IOW if I want the baseball without interruption what am I missing? What would be the specs on the above?
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
Wavy70
Wavy70
  • Threads: 15
March 28th, 2011 at 10:51:09 PM permalink
Quote: DeMango

What does it take to get as good as cable TV on the computer? Is it the broadband speed, video card, processor speed? IOW if I want the baseball without interruption what am I missing? What would be the specs on the above?

You can buy the MLB web subscription and its pretty good. But once again you are paying again.
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
March 28th, 2011 at 11:33:44 PM permalink
Quote: DeMango

I don't know about sports. I imagine they are all going to be for sale.

But hulu.com shows most tv shows the day after. I don't see that much difference if they show at the same time as broadcast with the same commercials. It might make a small dent in cable, but not that much. Most people get cable because of the huge choices, and not just a few network channels.
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
March 29th, 2011 at 12:41:00 AM permalink
My question was about the quality of the broadcast on my computer, or Youtube for that matter. Not the content. What does it take to get the quality on my computer screen as good as my television with cable? Thanks.
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
March 29th, 2011 at 3:05:50 AM permalink
First, the source material would need to be high quality. Often it is compressed to take up less bandwidth. that is becoming less of an issue with high speed broadband. Secondly you would need high speed broadband.

South Korea is currently one of the world leaders for integrated broadband services, and a lot of tv is streamed there. 1Gig broadband is breaking through, as is HD streaming.

All you need is for the tech to become mainstream, which I see happening in the next few years.
[This space is intentionally left blank]
  • Jump to: