slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
June 21st, 2011 at 2:44:19 PM permalink
I DVR'd the Falling Skies premiere as well..so I should just delete without watching?
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
June 21st, 2011 at 2:55:20 PM permalink
The producers are hoping you do not. Give it a chance if you liked the commercials. I watched all of the Jericho series a few years ago and found the similarities to be obvious; an unimaginative theft. I liked Jericho, but I don't need to see it again with slightly different characters.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
June 21st, 2011 at 3:03:28 PM permalink
Quote: slyther

I DVR'd the Falling Skies premiere as well..so I should just delete without watching?

I would recommend you give it a whirl, especially since you can fast forward through the huge blocks of commercials.

The first hour is pretty slow as they establish characters and relationships. The second picks up a bit, but there is still alot more "fiction" than "science". I guess the special fx are pricey, so they seem to be reserved for long matte shots, and the occasional gasoline explosion.

My problem with the premier is that I didn't find the characters compelling. I didn't have anyone to root for.

I would posit that more Summer Glau couldn't hurt...

Has anyone noticed how many recent sci-fi storylines include fathers with sons that have been kidnapped by aliens?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
gambler
gambler
  • Threads: 112
June 21st, 2011 at 3:43:52 PM permalink
What is Summer Glau doing now anyway? Any movies/tv shows in the making?
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
June 21st, 2011 at 6:13:10 PM permalink
Falling Skies blows chunks.

For QUALITY TV, but not sci-fi: HBO has "Game of Thrones."

Excellent!
"What, me worry?"
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
June 23rd, 2011 at 7:29:37 PM permalink
Quote: gambler

What is Summer Glau doing now anyway? Any movies/tv shows in the making?

She made a movie called Knights of Badassdom about live-action role-players Peter Dinklage, Steve Zahn, Ryan Kwanten and Danny Pudi who unearth a demon. Should be pretty bloody movie. Release date is sometime late this year.

pacomartin
pacomartin
July 13th, 2011 at 11:53:56 PM permalink
Alphas, the latest X-men ripoff debuted on SYFY. The Kabul born beauty, Azita Ghanizada, who has been guest starring on TV episodes for the last few years was cast as a shy ethnic girl whose parents consider her incapable of finding a husband.

The problem was when she was on TV last year she looked like this:

So it is pretty safe to say that she will be coming into her own at some point in Alphas.
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
July 14th, 2011 at 12:47:30 AM permalink
I tivoed it tonight, haven't seen it yet. Weird thing about Alphas is....it's being shown on SyFy, Bravo, Oxygen and USA networks. Same episode. On both HD and regular channels. Unprecedented.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
slyther
slyther
July 14th, 2011 at 8:48:31 AM permalink
All those channels are owned by Universal (Most of those channels carry pieces of the NBC Olympics coverage as well). They're trying to create buzz. I figured the show was another "Heroes" so I didn't try it.
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 16th, 2011 at 5:21:02 AM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

I tivoed it tonight, haven't seen it yet. Weird thing about Alphas is....it's being shown on SyFy, Bravo, Oxygen and USA networks. Same episode. On both HD and regular channels. Unprecedented.

They are probably promoting it on E! as well.

The twist on this show, is that the none of the alphas is super powerful. Their "powers" also make them extremely vulnerable. This idea is present in other super-hero stories, but it is taken to extremes in this series.

For example if a character is using her super vision, she is completely deaf. Super strength is followed by super-exhaustion, etc.

NBC Universal
A&E Television Networks
Bravo Media
Chiller
CNBC
CNBC World
Comcast Sports Group
E!
ExerciseTV
G4
Golf Channel
International Television
MSNBC
mun2
NBCUniversal Digital Distribution
NBCUniversal Television Networks Distribution
Oxygen Media
Sleuth
Sprout
Style Network
Syfy
Universal Cable Productions
Universal HD
USA Network
VERSUS
Weather Channel Companies
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 4th, 2011 at 1:03:19 AM permalink
Joanne Kelly plays on Warehouse 13 an excessively derivative television series. Despite the hackneyed plot lines, her character is very appealing, and I do watch the show (usually on reruns).

Fringe returns to TV despite it's rocky road

I am getting a little tired of seeing the "Swiss Family Robinson in outer space" over and over again

I do miss Josh Whedon from TV. He does have a movie coming next year.
pacomartin
pacomartin
October 24th, 2011 at 10:58:56 PM permalink

Joss Whedon has made a Shakespearean movie with Nathan Fillion and many of his favorite actors.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
October 25th, 2011 at 9:01:58 AM permalink
Joss...
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
pacomartin
pacomartin
November 16th, 2011 at 6:08:40 AM permalink

Anti-Kardashian's are beautiful intelligent women who have done valuable things with their life. The anit-Kardashian of the week is Hannah Simone (roughly age 30).

Hannah spent her formative years living in locales such as Saudi Arabia, Canada, Cyprus, and India. By the age of 13 she began a career in modelling and appeared on the cover of Cyprus' top fashion magazine. Living in India at age 16, she organized a concert to benefit women and children with AIDS. She earned a BA from the University of British Columbia in International Relations and Political Science.

Following her graduation she became a book researcher and then a human rights and refugee officer in London, England.

Hannah earned another BA in 2005 in Radio/TV Arts from Ryerson University in Toronto, Canada.
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 24th, 2012 at 12:56:55 PM permalink

A special sexy note for Pippa Middleton for wearing a toilet paper dress to a party. I'm assuming that every guy at the party was gay, or one of them would have spilled his drink.

This woman used four rolls of toilet paper to make her dress. I think Pippa tried to do it with one roll.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
February 24th, 2012 at 2:02:45 PM permalink
How could you sit down? Sure looks good, though.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 24th, 2012 at 2:38:28 PM permalink
Katrina Darling, a 21 year old British burlesque dancer who lives with her parents, found out that she is a second cousin of the future queen of the UK. As she was already doing a salute to the Queen in her act, she got a publicity bombshell.

As we discussed earlier, given the relatively small population of Britain in the 17th century, nearly everyone is a cousin of degree less than 20. Obama is 17th cousins with the Queen. We can look forward to more stories about 6th cousins with wonderful jobs.
slyther
slyther
February 25th, 2012 at 10:11:43 AM permalink
Summer was on this week's episode of Grey's Anatomy..but did not have a single line. odd.
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
February 25th, 2012 at 10:58:32 AM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

I watched all of the Jericho series a few years ago and found the similarities to be obvious; an unimaginative theft. I liked Jericho, but I don't need to see it again with slightly different characters.

Somebody actually liked Jericho enough to steal it? I mean, I did watch the series and did enjoy it toward the latter half of 1st season and beyond, but, friggin' atheist non-deity, could it possibly be it any slower. The entire strength of Jericho lies in the premise and the audacity of what follows, we wouldn't care if it was China.

Take that away, and the story itself is slow, less than perfectly thought-out, scientifically inaccurate, propelled by mostly mediocre characters and outright unremarkable dialogue. You would think a small farming town should have better grasp of low-tech survival skills than a bunch of Hollywood kids, but apparently it never occurs to them to ask for help in creating their stories.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 27th, 2012 at 3:36:54 AM permalink

Aarti Mann will be 34 in a few days.
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 21st, 2012 at 7:04:44 AM permalink

Eloise Mumford (age 25) on the Supernatural Mystery TV series "The River" wins pretty geeky girl of the week.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
March 21st, 2012 at 7:11:02 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Eloise Mumford (age 25) on the Supernatural Mystery TV series "The River" wins pretty geeky girl of the week.

Oh hell, that's just a beautiful blonde wearing geeky glasses.

Wait, how'd the word "just" get in there?
A falling knife has no handle.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
March 21st, 2012 at 7:15:31 AM permalink
How about Jane Adams?

A falling knife has no handle.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
March 21st, 2012 at 8:59:21 AM permalink
The girls of TV sci-fi, eh?

Well, back in the day when I first became aware of girls, this one sent me into orbit ...

"What, me worry?"
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
March 21st, 2012 at 2:23:07 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Well, back in the day when I first became aware of girls, this one sent me into orbit ...

is that penny robinson from lost in space? god, you're older than i am
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
March 21st, 2012 at 2:39:00 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Angela Cartwright. Did you know she was one of the kids in the movie musical, "The Sound of Music"?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 21st, 2012 at 2:59:56 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

How about Jane Adams?

Jane Adams ? She's been playing "the neurotic woman" for her entire career.
pacomartin
pacomartin
April 27th, 2012 at 10:43:01 PM permalink

Parminder Nagra from the supernatural series Alcatraz is one of the increasing number of beautiful Indian actresses that are becoming a big part of TV.

In the TV series she is about 70 years old, but the subject of some top secret experiments which have kept her young.
  • Jump to: