2 votes (50%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (25%)

4 members have voted

pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
February 19th, 2011 at 7:57:41 PM permalink
It's always a tough call which of the cousins to invite to a wedding. Prince William's grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II has several out of town cousins. Should he invite her 2nd cousin King Harald V of Norway; her 3rd cousins Queen Margrethe II Denmark, King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden, King Juan Carlos I of Spain, King Albert II of Belgium, Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg; her 5th cousin Queen Beatrix of Netherlands; and her 7th cousins Prince Hans-Adam II of Liechtenstein and Prince Albert II Monaco?

The really tough call is those distant cousins, like Prince William's 17th cousin once removed, President Barack Obama of the United States.

Although there was news release that cousin Obama was not invited, some people believe that a secret invitation was extended anyway. If he does get invited what should he do?
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
February 19th, 2011 at 8:10:22 PM permalink
What happened to "send a gift"? Or is that included under card?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
  • Threads: 26
February 19th, 2011 at 8:41:22 PM permalink
Well, since he gave the Queen a handful of stupid DVD's as a gift, he'll probably cut it down a notch and hand the couple some CD's this time. A class act, that's for sure.
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
February 19th, 2011 at 9:01:15 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Although there was news release that cousin Obama was not invited, some people believe that a secret invitation was extended anyway. If he does get invited what should he do?

You're not saying that if he was invited, he should even consider refusing?
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 19th, 2011 at 10:11:16 PM permalink
Many people feel that a sitting president shouldn't take the time and considerable expense to go to international weddings.

Prince Charles and Princess Diana invited then-American president Ronald Reagan and his wife Nancy to their 1981 ceremony – though she came alone because the president was too ill to travel following an assassination attempt on him.

Sitting Presidents have taken the time to go to funerals of prime ministers and heads of state.
GW Bush attended the funeral of Pope John Paul II.
Clinton went to funeral of former Prime Minister Obuchi in Japan
Clinton went to funeral of Prime Minister Rabin (a week before the first White House time with Monica Lewinsky)
Clinton went to funeral of King Hussein in Jordan
Herbert Bush attended the funeral of Emperor Hirohito in Japan (only a month after being elected)
Reagan and Carter did not attend funerals
LBJ went to Germany for a funeral of Konrad Adenauer.
LBJ went for the funeral for Australian Prime Minister Harold Holt (but he was using the trip as cover for a secret meeting with pope).
Wavy70
Wavy70
  • Threads: 15
February 20th, 2011 at 12:54:27 AM permalink
You may also want to look at the importance of the UK as an ally today compared to when Chuck and Di got married. Significantly less important. On both sides
Some who get most of their information from talk show hosts and diner placemats some how confused the gift of an iPod to the Queen with footage of her previous visit with some CD's and DVD's he burned on his laptop. Odd that the President would want to use this moment to highlight an American company.

If you search and dig deep enough you can find the hidden "Fuck you" in "Good morning".
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
pacomartin
pacomartin
February 20th, 2011 at 3:24:38 AM permalink
Quote: Wavy70

You may also want to look at the importance of the UK as an ally today compared to when Chuck and Di got married. Significantly less important. On both sides.

I doubt that there is that much political importance. I think that Prince William and Catherine want more of a "people's wedding". Once the POTUS attends something security goes through the roof.

--------------
BTW, I thought there would be some comments regarding the fact that Prince William is 17th cousin from some American of mixed descent born in Hawaii in the 1960's.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
February 20th, 2011 at 5:12:49 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

It's always a tough call which of the cousins to invite to a wedding. Prince William's grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II has several out of town cousins. Should he invite her 2nd cousin King Harald V of Norway; her 3rd cousins Queen Margrethe II Denmark, King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden, King Juan Carlos I of Spain, King Albert II of Belgium, Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg; her 5th cousin Queen Beatrix of Netherlands; and her 7th cousins Prince Hans-Adam II of Liechtenstein and Prince Albert II Monaco?

The really tough call is those distant cousins, like Prince William's 17th cousin once removed, President Barack Obama of the United States.

Obama hates the British, barely hiding this fact sending back a wonderful portrait of Churchill and thinking DVD's and an iPod loaded with HIS SPEECHES are good gifts for an international visit. He should stay home before he does anymore damage to our relationship with the Brits.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
  • Jump to: