Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
February 17th, 2011 at 3:08:18 PM permalink
Quote: Croupier

Just a quick update.

I have been in touch with Main Street Station, who have confirmed what I already guessed from their website. They have no Texas Hold'em poker. No Boyd Gaming property Downtown does. Should we wish to arrange a poker tournament, this would have to be done at a different venue.

I also looked into the possibility of private BJ and Craps Tables, but they do not offer this facility.



Bininon's is right across the street. I am sure they could arrange a poker table for the right price. At the right hour (i.e., early), it should not be too hard to "take over" a BJ or Craps table.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Croupier
Croupier
Joined: Nov 15, 2009
  • Threads: 58
  • Posts: 1258
February 17th, 2011 at 3:33:03 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Bininon's is right across the street. I am sure they could arrange a poker table for the right price. At the right hour (i.e., early), it should not be too hard to "take over" a BJ or Craps table.



You are probably right. I would just like to have something arranged in advance, for ease of getting everyone together, rather than having a group of us trawling downtown, looking for a poker/craps/bj table.
[This space is intentionally left blank]
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
February 17th, 2011 at 3:41:30 PM permalink
For the poker, perhaps a couple of tables in a suite or meeting room (or someone's garage). You can avoid the rake. The problem with a tournament is what do the early knockouts do while the others play on?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Croupier
Croupier
Joined: Nov 15, 2009
  • Threads: 58
  • Posts: 1258
February 17th, 2011 at 3:55:59 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

For the poker, perhaps a couple of tables in a suite or meeting room (or someone's garage). You can avoid the rake. The problem with a tournament is what do the early knockouts do while the others play on?



If its in someones garage, they could be made to deal or fetch drinks as punishment. But that is kinda why I wanted a private table, as somewhere to congregate after the poker, as people were knocked out.
[This space is intentionally left blank]
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
February 18th, 2011 at 7:39:26 AM permalink
Quote: Croupier

If its in someones garage, they could be made to deal or fetch drinks as punishment.



I suggest then you never play in my garage. The Domina in me tends to come out when punishment is to be parceled out ;)

Seriously, it's a bit intimate to play at someone's palce, garage or not. Something that would be more appropriate for WoVCon 2, perhaps.

Quote:

But that is kinda why I wanted a private table, as somewhere to congregate after the poker, as people were knocked out.



Something we could do if all else fails is to chip in and book a suite at the MSS or elsewhere Downtown for one night. We could use it to play and for other things, like a pit stop location, storage area if needed, rest area, etc. Just hide the remote and lock the minibar so no one gets creative with the bill. We'd need cards and chips, which can be had easily Downtown if quality's not an issue.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Croupier
Croupier
Joined: Nov 15, 2009
  • Threads: 58
  • Posts: 1258
February 18th, 2011 at 7:49:41 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed



Something we could do if all else fails is to chip in and book a suite at the MSS or elsewhere Downtown for one night. We could use it to play and for other things, like a pit stop location, storage area if needed, rest area, etc. Just hide the remote and lock the minibar so no one gets creative with the bill. We'd need cards and chips, which can be had easily Downtown if quality's not an issue.



The Wizard suggested something similar earlier in the thread. Looks like this is the way we are going to be heading. And even if quality of cards and chips is an issue, the Gamblers General Store is a short [car] trip (but a hell of a walk on a hot sunny day) down Main St.
[This space is intentionally left blank]
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
February 18th, 2011 at 8:05:32 AM permalink
I was thinking of 99 cent used casino cards from the hotel gift shop, and perhaps $20 or so chips from a hotel gift shop or one of the souvenir stores. Or we could play with cash to give it an old west feel :P It's easy enough to break bills in any casino these days.

Speakig of cash, is anyone interested in commemorative 100 and 200 peso bills? I can bring a few along and exchange them at the current rate (around $25 for both notes, one each). They're a special run from last year to mark the centennial of the Mexican Revolution and the Bicentennial of Mexican Independence. the 100 peso note is printed on plastic, the 200 one on paper. I can probably find pics online.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
mkl654321
mkl654321
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 65
  • Posts: 3412
February 18th, 2011 at 5:02:12 PM permalink
Just a quick note re the poker game--if memory serves, it's just as illegal for private individuals to "engage in gambling activities"--i.e., play poker--in Nevada as it is anywhere else in the US. Not that it would be a big deal one way or the other, but the law probably means that a casino wouldn't rent out a table for a completely "private" game--it would have to be with an actual casino dealer and using the rules of that poker room. I do imagine they'd be okay with opening up a table and letting WovCon players immediately fill it up.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
zippyboy
zippyboy
Joined: Jan 19, 2011
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 1124
February 18th, 2011 at 5:51:54 PM permalink
And Binions has dozens of poker tables sitting idle in the back, waiting for tournament play. Or our game.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
Croupier
Croupier
Joined: Nov 15, 2009
  • Threads: 58
  • Posts: 1258
February 21st, 2011 at 9:44:58 PM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

And Binions has dozens of poker tables sitting idle in the back, waiting for tournament play. Or our game.



It would have been nice if they had replied to my emails. Oh well. No such luck. Im sure we will be able to arrange something. I just like things planned.

Not that this is a timely bump.
[This space is intentionally left blank]

  • Jump to: