Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
January 31st, 2011 at 3:50:24 PM permalink
As I've been posting in my blog and elsewhere, I've begun to exercise agin. Mostly I'm restricted to Sayruday and Sunday mornings, but I really want to add at elast two weekdays. Ideally I'd like to do 30 minutes a day 6 days a week, but that would be hard given my schedule.

Last weekend I managed 70+ minutes like so:

10 minutes on the treadmill as warm-up
40 minutes on the stationary bike
20 minutes on the stair/crosstrainer machine
some sets of leg extensions and leg curls on the weight machine and a set of stomach crunches on the bench.

That's fine as far as it goes, but I'm not sure I can sustain that four times a week. I'm thinking of a ligther workout on weekdays like this:

5 minutes on the treadmill for warm-up
20 minutes on the bike
25 minutes on the stairs
leg curls, extensions and crunches.

That's about 50+ minutes twice a week, plus the 70+ minutes on weekends.

Right now my goal is to lose weight and gain some muscle tone. What do you think? Would this kind of regiment be enough? Do I need more time or more days?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
January 31st, 2011 at 4:33:32 PM permalink
In my opinion the key to exercise success is you have to make it as enjoyable, or the least boring, as possible. I find anything involving a machine terribly boring. Anything outdoors works best for me, especially running, biking, and climbing. I'm also trying to swim at least once a week, but I find it difficult motivating myself for that. What I find motivating is to have a goal to shoot for. For example, I try to run 13 miles at once on a weekly basis.

In my opinion there is no magic combinations of exercises. Whatever gets your heart rate up will do. They say you get the most efficient workout swimming, and I believe it.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Nareed
Nareed
January 31st, 2011 at 5:05:42 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

In my opinion the key to exercise success is you have to make it as enjoyable, or the least boring, as possible. I find anything involving a machine terribly boring. Anything outdoors works best for me, especially running, biking, and climbing.

Yes, but you like the outdoors. Besides, there's no such thing as outdoors in a big city ;) Not in a way that doesn't involve watching out for traffic and/or pedestrians, depending on your choice of exercise.

I do well enough on the machines with the TV on. At the time I exercise I can usually catch up with the news.

Quote:

They say you get the most efficient workout swimming, and I believe it.

I've heard that, too. There's a pool in my building and I do like to swim, but temps early in the morning just now are around 6 celsius (around 43 F). The pool is not heated. I've already gone through pneumonia once and it's not something I want to repeat. Maybe later on in the year.
PaulEWog
PaulEWog
  • Threads: 9
February 1st, 2011 at 4:06:30 AM permalink

In my opinion the key to exercise success is you have to make it as enjoyable, or the least boring, as possible.

I agree that this is an important consideration, but I think the other side of the equation is being able to find the time to exercise regularly. The solution for me was to find something I was already doing and blend exercise into it. I found I could slide an exercise bike under my desk and work on the computer while riding. I use a full size bike and removed the arms, but they also make under desk exercise equipment but I have no idea if any of those are worthwhile.

The end result is I don't feel like I'm "wasting" time while working out, which means I do it almost every day. I usually ride 50 minutes to an hour, occasionally do it twice a day, and last year I rode a total of 8,645.69 miles.
JIMMYFOCKER
JIMMYFOCKER
  • Threads: 17
February 1st, 2011 at 4:31:30 AM permalink

In my opinion the key to exercise success is you have to make it as enjoyable, or the least boring, as possible. I find anything involving a machine terribly boring. Anything outdoors works best for me, especially running, biking, and climbing. I'm also trying to swim at least once a week, but I find it difficult motivating myself for that. What I find motivating is to have a goal to shoot for. For example, I try to run 13 miles at once on a weekly basis.

In my opinion there is no magic combinations of exercises. Whatever gets your heart rate up will do. They say you get the most efficient workout swimming, and I believe it.

Run 13 miles at once on a weekly basis?

Holy motivations Batman!
Nareed
Nareed
February 1st, 2011 at 7:34:40 AM permalink
Quote: PaulEWog

I agree that this is an important consideration, but I think the other side of the equation is being able to find the time to exercise regularly.

That's my problem just now. For all I asked yesterday about times and machines, due to work I wound up in bed at 12:30 am. I tried to get up at 6 to work out, but I just couldn't. It isn't just the lack of sleep, but also the effect of the long workday. Today I meay leave earlier, say around 8 pm, but tomorrow I'm heading out of town again. So no time tomorrow for exercise. Maybe today's evening, but it's hard to muster the will after working 12 hours <sigh>

Quote:

The end result is I don't feel like I'm "wasting" time while working out, which means I do it almost every day. I usually ride 50 minutes to an hour, occasionally do it twice a day, and last year I rode a total of 8,645.69 miles.

I don't feel I'm wasting time, because it's something that's helping me reach an important goal. And, to be brutally frank, mostly I work out during time that would be wasted in other ways. I just sometimes get bored while pushing on the pedals ;)
Nareed
Nareed
June 1st, 2012 at 9:13:54 AM permalink
Update, sort of:

As we've been having relatively little work at the office, I get out mostly around 6 to 7 PM. I'm settling on a workout Monday through Friday at around 8 PM, doing 30 to 45 minutes on the stationary bike. I think that's about plenty. Sometimes I'll skip Tuesdays in order to 1) see the Big Bang Theory and 2) cook an additional dish for the week. I made a note to myself to then work out on Sunday if I miss a Tuesday.

The Wizards' show helps to pass the time, as I ntoed elsewhere. And for other times I have other podcasts which work about as well.

The problem comes when we leave late. Wednesday, for example, we left at 8 PM. By the time I got home, it was too late and I was too tired (more work, more traffic), plus I still had to fix dinner and do a few other things. So I just skip those days, too, but I feel I should make them up by tacking on ten mroe minutes to the week's remaining workouts.

Eventually when I'm down to my "normal" weight, I plan to keep working out thirty three times per week, because it's beneficial for my healtha dn to keep from gaining weight. And if I do gain weight, it's easier to increase the regualr workout. Is this a good enough regimen, or should I excercise more?
winmonkeyspit3
winmonkeyspit3
  • Threads: 26
June 1st, 2012 at 5:51:52 PM permalink
I'm a college athlete and having suffered several injuries where I have had to cross train for an extended period of time, I suggest avoiding the stationary bike and instead using a treadmill or elliptical machine. At the level that I work out at, I burn 1080 calories per hour on the elliptical, 1063 on the treadmill, and just 470 on the bike. Especially since you say time is an issue, I'd really suggest trying something different if possible. Just to put this into perspective, if you workout 4 hours per week you would burn at least 1 extra pound every 2 weeks by making the switch. Obviously you will be working slightly harder running/elliptical(ing?), but I think you will notice a major difference in your results. Best of luck from a fellow fitness fanatic.
Nareed
Nareed
June 1st, 2012 at 9:45:47 PM permalink
Thanks.

I may try the treadmill, but the elliptical wears me out inside of ten minutes. On the other hand, I loathe running.

Quote:

Best of luck from a fellow fitness fanatic.

You have me confused with someone else ;) Briefly, I see exercise as a necessary evil. If someone found a way to bottle it or put in a pill, I'd be eternally grateful to that person for all eternity.
Wavy70
Wavy70
  • Threads: 15
June 1st, 2012 at 11:07:52 PM permalink
I don't recommend it for everyone but a dog is the best exercise machine. If my boxer mix does not get at least a 2 mile a day hike I have hell to pay at night. Helped me drop about 35lbs in a year. Plus she loves to give kisses. Not gonna get that from a treadmill.
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
winmonkeyspit3
winmonkeyspit3
June 2nd, 2012 at 1:37:21 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Thanks.

I may try the treadmill, but the elliptical wears me out inside of ten minutes. On the other hand, I loathe running.

You have me confused with someone else ;) Briefly, I see exercise as a necessary evil. If someone found a way to bottle it or put in a pill, I'd be eternally grateful to that person for all eternity.

As you know as a gambler, nothing good comes free. Put in the work and the results will show, it's true with anything you are trying to accomplish in the long run whether it's AP, your job at work, or physical fitness.
Nareed
Nareed
June 2nd, 2012 at 4:38:18 AM permalink
Quote: winmonkeyspit3

As you know as a gambler, nothing good comes free. Put in the work and the results will show, it's true with anything you are trying to accomplish in the long run whether it's AP, your job at work, or physical fitness.

Of course. That's why I keep working out when I'd rather do something, anything, else :)
TheBigPaybak
TheBigPaybak
  • Threads: 14
June 2nd, 2012 at 5:20:09 AM permalink
Here's my two cents, I take a multifaceted approach:
1. Engage a personal trainer weekly if that's doable for you: at the very least, he/she will force you to keep a regular workout schedule. It's also easier/better/more entertaining to work out with someone than by yourself.
2. Possibly buy a "FitBit". It's a neat gadget, and my walking and stair climbing have gone up significantly since purchasing one. It's a one-time charge and the web interface is neat.
3. Join a class- martial arts is great exercise!
4. With regard to weight, for most people this involves not only exercise but changing one's eating habits. This I find very difficult to do...

Hope that helps!
Lack of prior planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part.
Nareed
Nareed
June 2nd, 2012 at 5:36:34 AM permalink
Quote: TheBigPaybak

1. Engage a personal trainer weekly if that's doable for you: at the very least, he/she will force you to keep a regular workout schedule.

My only problem is the unpredictability of my work schedule. As long as I leave the office by 7 PM at the latest, I can work out that day. Some days it's clear I won't. But some days it just sneaks up on me.

Quote:

4. With regard to weight, for most people this involves not only exercise but changing one's eating habits. This I find very difficult to do...

Oh, I've done that. I'm down about 70 lbs already over 18 months. Not spectacular, perhaps, but it's a big deal.

Doing my own cooking helps a lot. I control every ingredient. So I can not just cut down drastically on fat, but also on salt and sugar.
Nareed
Nareed
June 4th, 2012 at 6:56:42 PM permalink

[..]I suggest avoiding the stationary bike and instead using a treadmill or elliptical machine.

Against my better judgment <w>, I did try the elliptical. I did 25 minutes on the bike first, then tried to get to ten minutes on the elliptical. Tried, I say, because I couldn't quite manage. I did 9:43 minutes, including the 2:00 minute cool-down. As expected, the damned contraption wore me out.

The only reason I'm even considering trying it again tomorrow (or more likely the day after tomorrow), is that it has to get easier in time ;)

Thanks!
winmonkeyspit3
winmonkeyspit3
June 4th, 2012 at 7:30:19 PM permalink

[..]I suggest avoiding the stationary bike and instead using a treadmill or elliptical machine.

Against my better judgment <w>, I did try the elliptical. I did 25 minutes on the bike first, then tried to get to ten minutes on the elliptical. Tried, I say, because I couldn't quite manage. I did 9:43 minutes, including the 2:00 minute cool-down. As expected, the damned contraption wore me out.

The only reason I'm even considering trying it again tomorrow (or more likely the day after tomorrow), is that it has to get easier in time ;)

Thanks!

Well the good thing is you can burn 25 minutes of bike's calories in 15 on the elliptical. Keep up the good work! To the Wizard: What is your pace per mile when you go for a run?
Nareed
Nareed
June 5th, 2012 at 10:23:33 AM permalink

Well the good thing is you can burn 25 minutes of bike's calories in 15 on the elliptical. Keep up the good work!

Thanks.

I noticed the elliptical worked some thigh muscles I dind't even know I had :)

Seriously, do you know an excercise to work the inner thigh muscles? The only one I know is lying on the side, lifting and keeping up the leg that's away from the floor, while lifting and lowering the other leg.

Quote:

To the Wizard: What is your pace per mile when you go for a run?

I've never seen him run. but his walking speed ought to qualify him for the Olympic march team ;)
winmonkeyspit3
winmonkeyspit3
June 5th, 2012 at 11:32:38 AM permalink

Thanks.

I noticed the elliptical worked some thigh muscles I dind't even know I had :)

Seriously, do you know an excercise to work the inner thigh muscles? The only one I know is lying on the side, lifting and keeping up the leg that's away from the floor, while lifting and lowering the other leg.

I've never seen him run. but his walking speed ought to qualify him for the Olympic march team ;)

I use Cybex machines that work the inner thigh but I don't know of any exercises you can do without a machine besides just stretching. I'd be curious to know Mike's running pace because I'm a runner too.
Nareed
Nareed
June 6th, 2012 at 8:13:42 PM permalink
I tried doing 15 minutes on the bike and 15 on the elliptical. I managed only about 13:30 on the latter. Perhaps I should aim two minutes less, that way I'll feel I'm accomplishing a goal for a change ;)
winmonkeyspit3
winmonkeyspit3
June 7th, 2012 at 12:53:54 AM permalink

I tried doing 15 minutes on the bike and 15 on the elliptical. I managed only about 13:30 on the latter. Perhaps I should aim two minutes less, that way I'll feel I'm accomplishing a goal for a change ;)

How many calories are you burning per workout? How far are you getting on the bike and elliptical? I try to quantify my workout in terms of something besides minutes because they are so relative to what you are doing during those minutes. I find things like distance, calories burned, and peak heart rate to be much more important. You can use these to track your progress as well, What's the point in doing 20 minutes on a treadmill rather than 15 if you go 25% slower?
Nareed
Nareed
June 7th, 2012 at 6:41:03 AM permalink

How many calories are you burning per workout?

Well, if it comes to that I'm not sure the machines provide an accurate reading anyway. But it was 100 cals on the bike and ~150 on the elliptical.

Quote:

How far are you getting on the bike and elliptical?

I don't even pay attention to that. The machines are too disparate anyway. One measures kilometers and the other miles.

Quote:

I try to quantify my workout in terms of something besides minutes because they are so relative to what you are doing during those minutes.

Oh, I just see my waist line shrinking and I smile :)
  • Jump to: