pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
February 14th, 2013 at 7:38:31 PM permalink
Quote: Fuengirola2

Here the cost is 1,44 per kilometer and 0,50 per minute if not moving. The starting fee is 7,70-8,80. How about LV, or US in general?

Transportation costs in Europe are always dramatically higher than in the USA. Your "starting fee" in particular is over three times as much. Your moving fees are 20% to 33% higher. Putting rates at US dollars and miles for easy comparison:

Fuengirola2 Taxi Rates
Initial activation of taximeter $ 10.36-$11.84
Each additional 1/13th mile ($3.12 per mile ) $0.24
Waiting time per hour $40.00

Vegas Taxi Rates
Initial activation of taximeter $ 3.30
Each additional 1/13th mile ($2.60 per mile - includes $0.20 per mile fuel surcharge) $0.20
Waiting time per hour $30.00
McCarran Airport fee per pick-up $1.8

New York City Taxi Rates
Initial activation of taximeter $ 2.50
Each additional 1/5 th mile ($2.50 per mile - includes $0.20 per mile fuel surcharge) $0.50
Waiting time per hour $30.00
Night surcharge of $.50 after 8:00 PM & before 6:00 AM
Peak hour Weekday Surcharge of $1.00 Monday - Friday after 4:00 PM & before 8:00 PM
New York State Tax Surcharge of $.50 per ride.
Passenger pays tolls

New York City also has three "group rides" which are both common and can be very inexpensive. The cab driver can wait for a full load of people
Group Rides from York Avenue at East 79th Street --
Group Rides from Marine Air and Delta Shuttle Terminals at LaGuardia Airport
Group Rides from the Port Authority Bus Terminal --
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
February 14th, 2013 at 7:45:32 PM permalink
In the mid 80's when I had the cab co, the drop
was $1 and it was 90 cents a mile. If you took
home $50, it was a good day. $250 a week, cash.
Nobody paid taxes that I knew of, the gov't had
no idea you were driving. I leased the cabs, I had
to report that to nobody. Its different now, they
have the drivers SS numbers and report to the IRS.
In those days waitresses didn't report tips either,
they kept all that they made. Those were the days,
when Big Brother wasn't looking over your shoulder
24/7.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
February 14th, 2013 at 10:29:38 PM permalink
Yeah, but how you gonna keep the illegal immigrants working if you don't collect SS numbers?
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 434
February 15th, 2013 at 1:10:10 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Yeah, but how you gonna keep the illegal immigrants working if you don't collect SS numbers?

I seriously doubt there are illegals driving cabs
anywhere. You have to get a taxi license, which
requires a chauffeur's driver's license and you
need to be a citizen to get one. Then, getting a
taxi license is even more hoops you have to jump
thru.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
February 15th, 2013 at 1:27:34 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I take a shuttle. It's $13 roundtrip Downtown.

The cheapest way from airport to Fremont street is the public bus, WAX (westcliff airport express). Being the airport line, it is not the usual rift raft that utilizes public transit, but more traveler and airport workers. The cost is $2 and it takes 26 minutes from airport to Fremont street, stopping at 4th and Fremont right near the "D" (former fitzgeralds). This can also be an option if you are staying at one of the 4 hotels on the tropicana/las Vegas Blvd corner (excalibur, New york-new york, MGM or tropicana) as there is a stop on the southwest corner of tropicana and the strip, right along side New York-New York just prior to the bus jumping on the freeway and heading downtown. The bus picks up at the lower level of airport. The only downside is that it only runs once an hour, so depending on your arrival you may have to wait a few minutes.

As far as taxi's, for what it's worth, as a vegas resident, my advice is to tell the driver to take Swenson road, not the tunnel for most access to the strip properties at most times. Most of the properties on the east side of the strip have a secondary taxi entrance from the back avoiding the strip. MGM access from Tropicana road. Planet Hollywood, access from Harmon road. Harrah's, Flamingo, Imperial palace, Venetian, all have access from the back of the properties via Audrie Road which connects off of Flamingo. bally's also has access of Flamingo road, but you will be on the wrong side of the road, so that is useless.

You can make an argument for the tunnel/highway for properties on the westside of strip, but even for these properties, for my money, I would still take Swenson except during the busiest of times like a Friday afternoon arrival.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
February 15th, 2013 at 6:37:22 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

The only downside is that it only runs once an hour, so depending on your arrival you may have to wait a few minutes.

Does it provide room for luggage?

The big downside for the shuttle, when going Downtown, is that you'll likely be the last person dropped off. So the ride can be very long, depending on your arrival time.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal

• Jump to: