pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
January 29th, 2011 at 8:32:15 AM permalink
In the 1930's it was La Guardia, then it moved to Midway in Chicago. In 1962 Chicago O'Hare took the position and held on until 1998 when Atlanta became the world's busiest.

No big surprise, but it will probably move oversease in the next three years. Beijing has taken a firm lead ahead of Heathrow and O'hare in the first few months of 2010, and will catch Atlanta at this rate in as little as two years.

It is still decades away (if ever) that Beijing will become the world's busiest city by airline traffic. London has five airports, New York City has three major airports, and Chicago and Tokyo have two. The new mayor of London has stopped all plans to build additional runways at any of the five airports, making the value decision that the environmental price is too high to pay.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 242
  • Posts: 14069
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
January 29th, 2011 at 9:02:55 AM permalink
Let anyone who wants it have it. I have lived in busy and small airport cities. No advantage in being a hub. Airfares are actually higher in many cases.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
JIMMYFOCKER
JIMMYFOCKER
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 540
Joined: Jan 24, 2011
January 29th, 2011 at 9:57:15 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Let anyone who wants it have it. I have lived in busy and small airport cities. No advantage in being a hub. Airfares are actually higher in many cases.



Where does Vegas rank? Also, if cited, where does Cleveland rank?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 242
  • Posts: 14069
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
January 29th, 2011 at 10:06:07 AM permalink
Quote: JIMMYFOCKER

Where does Vegas rank? Also, if cited, where does Cleveland rank?



Looks like Vegas was 22 in the world in 2010.

http://www.answers.com/topic/world-s-busiest-airports-by-passenger-traffic
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
January 30th, 2011 at 10:45:19 AM permalink
Quote: JIMMYFOCKER

Where does Vegas rank? Also, if cited, where does Cleveland rank?



Las Vegas is #22 in the world, and probably is the #1 ranked destination airport. The other airports are large partly because so many people change planes there.


Cleveland, St. Louis, and Pittsburgh are three of the airports that have dropped from "large" to "medium" hubs" according to FAA The definition of a "large" hub according to FAA is one that carries more than 1% of the traffic for that year. Once you change designations you are excluded from collecting from the larger pot of money for airport improvements.

There were 29 "large" FAA hub airports, the collectively had more than 70% of the passenger boardings (national and international).
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 242
  • Posts: 14069
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
January 30th, 2011 at 10:55:39 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Las Vegas is #22 in the world, and probably is the #1 ranked destination airport. The other airports are large partly because so many people change planes there.


Cleveland, St. Louis, and Pittsburgh are three of the airports that have dropped from "large" to "medium" hubs" according to FAA The definition of a "large" hub according to FAA is one that carries more than 1% of the traffic for that year. Once you change designations you are excluded from collecting from the larger pot of money for airport improvements.



Wow--I can't believe Pittsbugh is even "medium" or a "hub." Half the place is shut down and you can't even walk the concourses anymore. Bright side is no delays coming or going unless it is very bad weather. Sad as PIT has been recognized as one of the better airports out there ammenity-wise.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
  • Posts: 4140
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
January 30th, 2011 at 11:00:48 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Wow--I can't believe Pittsbugh is even "medium" or a "hub." Half the place is shut down and you can't even walk the concourses anymore. Bright side is no delays coming or going unless it is very bad weather. Sad as PIT has been recognized as one of the better airports out there ammenity-wise.



It used to be huge, always full, the home of USAirways. I don't know what changed (why they lost it), but losing USAirways was huge in it going from "large" to "medium".
A falling knife has no handle.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 242
  • Posts: 14069
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
January 30th, 2011 at 11:06:09 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

It used to be huge, always full, the home of USAirways. I don't know what changed (why they lost it), but losing USAirways was huge in it going from "large" to "medium".



What changed was the bankruptcy of USAir. USAir had hubs in PIT ande PHI. Why so close I do not know. For whatever reason, PHI kept USAir and now Southworst is the domminant carrier here. As LUV does not use the hub-and-spoke system it has not come close ut USAir in the heyday, 1992-1997. I wish they would make a play for jetBule who badly needs to reduce their reliance on JFK. Then again, who wants to fly anymore. <350 miles better to drive. With 2 or more people way better.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
January 30th, 2011 at 12:10:48 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

What changed was the bankruptcy of USAir. USAir had hubs in PIT ande PHI. Why so close I do not know. For whatever reason, PHI kept USAir and now Southworst is the domminant carrier here. As LUV does not use the hub-and-spoke system it has not come close ut USAir in the heyday, 1992-1997. I wish they would make a play for jetBule who badly needs to reduce their reliance on JFK. Then again, who wants to fly anymore. <350 miles better to drive. With 2 or more people way better.



USAir was formed by mergers of airports that had hubs very close together. Eventually they ended up with an awkward hub and spoke system in the area of the country with the worst weather in the country.

Los Angeles to Vegas is the busiest air corridor for < 350 miles that is not over water. Conversely Vegas is the biggest US city without rail service.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
  • Posts: 4140
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
January 30th, 2011 at 2:08:19 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

What changed was the bankruptcy of USAir. USAir had hubs in PIT ande PHI. Why so close I do not know. For whatever reason, PHI kept USAir and now Southworst is the domminant carrier here. As LUV does not use the hub-and-spoke system it has not come close ut USAir in the heyday, 1992-1997. I wish they would make a play for jetBule who badly needs to reduce their reliance on JFK. Then again, who wants to fly anymore. <350 miles better to drive. With 2 or more people way better.



Thanks for the explanation.

We live about 375 miles from Pgh, my home town. A while back, my brother had some frequent flier miles built up, so he gave them to us so we could visit home with our then 3 year old daughter. Which was cool; first class tickets, 30 minute flight. Which then turned into a 20 minute drive to the airport, a one hour wait, a two hour flight delay, a 30 minute flight, a half hour wait for a rental car, and a 45 minute drive from the airport to Jefferson Boro. Or, about the same amount of time as if we'd driven. The trip home was marginally better; no two hour flight delay.

We drive almost anywhere we can, any more. We drive the 9 hours to South Bend for the games; it's just not worth the aggravation to fly and change planes, or drive to Philly, fly to Chi, drive to South Bend. The only times I'll fly is when the driving is more than I can do in one set of daylight hours. Orlando, Las Vegas, stuff like that.
A falling knife has no handle.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14484
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
January 30th, 2011 at 2:17:55 PM permalink
Hub and spoke was a technique to capture passengers, it was never good for the passengers, just the airlines. Time concentrated usage of runways is not sensible. When the FAA finally phases in Free Flight instead of fixed routes things may change.

Passenger counts are relevant only if the passenger intends to stay in the town and spend money there. Flying through O'Hare means little if the passenger spends a grand total of 100.00 on a time-killing liquid lunch.
  • Jump to: