3 votes (21.42%)
11 votes (78.57%)

14 members have voted

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
January 20th, 2011 at 2:23:31 PM permalink
I know I shouldn't....

So, which team will have the honor to lose against the Steelers at the Super Bowl?

Minor trivia, which Super Bowl first featured two pre-merger NFL teams? Example, SB I was the packers (old pre-merger NFL) vs Kansas City (AFL)? And for spice, what is the head coach who lost that game best known for? (I'll take any of three answers for that second question)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
avargov
avargov
  • Threads: 16
January 20th, 2011 at 3:35:18 PM permalink
Weren't the Bears/Colts ('06 SB I think) both pre-merger teams? Or are you looking for the first SB to have them?
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
Nareed
Nareed
January 20th, 2011 at 3:48:06 PM permalink
Quote: avargov

Weren't the Bears/Colts ('06 SB I think) both pre-merger teams? Or are you looking for the first SB to have them?

First Super Bowl with two pre-merger NFL teams. This rules out all AFL teams and all expansion teams since the merger.

I've edited the OP to clarify the question.
boymimbo
boymimbo
January 20th, 2011 at 3:50:04 PM permalink
I've gotta take the Jets.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Nareed
Nareed
January 20th, 2011 at 5:21:39 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

I've gotta take the Jets.

Oh, sorry. The Jets, and the Titans before them, were an AFL team. :P
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
  • Threads: 217
January 20th, 2011 at 5:47:49 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I know I shouldn't....

So, which team will have the honor to lose against the Steelers at the Super Bowl?

Minor trivia, which Super Bowl first featured two pre-merger NFL teams? Example, SB I was the packers (old pre-merger NFL) vs Kansas City (AFL)? And for spice, what is the head coach who lost that game best known for? (I'll take any of three answers for that second question)

Superbowls 11, 13. and 30 featured the Steelers and Cowboys, both premerger. 14 Steelers/Rams premerger. Steeler/Cardinals also premerger.

Steeler trivia: Steelers were only team to be in the adults only and T-shirt superbowls. (XXX and XL)
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
Nareed
Nareed
January 20th, 2011 at 6:26:34 PM permalink
Since I made a hash out of the trivia question, I'll answer it now:

The first Super Bowl played between teams which used to belong to the NFL pre-merger was Super Bowl V, Colts vs Dallas (the Colts lost). At the time of the merger, some NFL teams switched over to the American Conference to balance things out: Colts, Steelers and Browns. All but one of the Steelers Super Bowls were against pre-merger teams: Cowboys, Cardinals, Rams and Vikings. The lone holdout is Seattle, which joined the league in the mid-70s, well after the merger. This is not surprising, as most NFC teams date to pre-merger days.

Now I'll restate the second question: who was head coach for the Colts at that time and what is he best known for? As I said, I'll take any three answers for what this coach was best known for.
avargov
avargov
January 20th, 2011 at 7:11:51 PM permalink
Would that be the great Don Shula? Winningest coach in NFL history, coach of the only undefeated team in the SB era, and head coach of the second coming of the messiah, Dan Marino?

Edited because I am an idiot...wasn't shula, he already left, and the colts won. You asked for losing coach...Tom Landry. Longest tenure with a single NFL team perhaps...or maybe the fedora.....
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
  • Threads: 42
January 20th, 2011 at 7:49:21 PM permalink
Minor thread corrections ...

Cowboys/Steelers played in SBs 10, 13, and 30. SB 11 was Raiders over Vikings.
Colts won SB 5 over Dallas, 13-10.

Other thoughts ...

Avargov, you're good to change your sig line, thanks for the bet!

More SB trivia ...

Which team has the most appearances?
Which teams have not been?
Which teams have lost four SBs?
How many games have been re-matches?
Which team has won the most SBs?
Nareed
Nareed
January 20th, 2011 at 9:39:21 PM permalink
Quote: avargov

[..]...wasn't shula, he already left, and the colts won. You asked for losing coach...Tom Landry. Longest tenure with a single NFL team perhaps...or maybe the fedora.....

Not bad. I hoped people would fall for Shula, but he lost, with the Colts, at SB III against the Jets.

Landry's three things are 1) the longest tenure with one team, 2) the longest streak of consecutive winning seasons (20), and <drum roll> 3) The fedora of course.

NFL Network recently ran a special on him, entitled "The NFL's Man in the Hat."

Too bad he was wasted on such a lousy team.

• Jump to: