Thread Rating:

rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
January 13th, 2011 at 9:05:08 PM permalink
That's a joke... but maybe not

Quote:

Watson, which IBM claims as a profound advance in artificial intelligence, edged out game-show champions Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter on Thursday in its first public test, a short practice round ahead of a million-dollar tournament that will be televised next month

more here
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
January 13th, 2011 at 9:12:17 PM permalink
Also, as interesting artificial intelligence trivia...

Depending on which word of the sentence:( I never said she stole my money) you emphasize, it will take on a different meaning. Try it out loud.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
January 13th, 2011 at 9:46:27 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

more here

Since a large part of success at Jeopardy! is sheer speed in figuring out the answer, this doesn't mean much, any more than that there are machines that can travel faster than humans. What we don't have, and won't for some time, is a machine that can REASON.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
ElectricDreams
ElectricDreams
  • Threads: 4
January 13th, 2011 at 10:11:34 PM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

Since a large part of success at Jeopardy! is sheer speed in figuring out the answer, this doesn't mean much, any more than that there are machines that can travel faster than humans. What we don't have, and won't for some time, is a machine that can REASON.

It was more of a test of natural language processing. Watson or whatever it's called had to first understand the question Trebek was asking to provide the correct answer; once it processed the words Trebek was saying, it would've been pretty trivial for the machine to look the information up.
Aussie
Aussie
  • Threads: 12
January 14th, 2011 at 6:23:27 AM permalink
This is one of my favourite shows on TV. We had an Australian version about 20 years ago (I think) but it flopped badly. Thankfully we get the US version every day on cable TV and I watch is almost religiously. Ken Jennings really provided a lot of interest and seeing him matched up against Rutter in the final of the ultimate tournament of champions was great viewing. I will be very interested to see this match against the computer when it is shown.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
January 14th, 2011 at 8:31:47 AM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

Quote: rxwine

more here

Actually, a large part of Jeopardy is word association, and understanding tangential references, and of course, relating the answer to the category. So being able to understand the play on words is a large part of Jeopardy. From other articles I have read on this, they did not take the approach to just build all of these references and word plays into a huge database. Instead, Watson looks at the word combinations and then searches for information that fits the word combinations and the category.

This is not the article I had read, but it touches on some of how Watson works.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watson_(artificial_intelligence_software)
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
  • Jump to: